The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fire Control & Speed Factors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Fire Control & Speed Factors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Fire Control & Speed Factors Reply with quote

I discussed this here, but in the interests of staying on topic, I thought it deserved its own thread.

The original concept was jmanski's...
jmanski wrote:
Characters using one or more move are +1d to hit in my game.

I've put some thought into expanding the concept, and have come up with the following modifiers:
    Characters using one or more Moves are +1D Difficulty to hit.
    Characters moving All-Out are +2D Difficulty to hit.
    Characters moving toward/away from the shooter (as defined by Fire Arcs) are -1D Difficulty (applied to existing Movement modifiers).

I'm also considering what I'm calling a Speed Factor Modifier, based on the Speed Factor rule on page 8 of Mini-D6. The short version is that, depending on what form of drive a character or vehicle is using, there will be additional penalties to accuracy. The base formula looks like so:
    Walking = 0D
    Vehicle = +2D
    Aircraft = +5D
    Space = +10D

These modifiers would only be applied to interaction between combatants using different drive modes. However, unlike Scale Modifiers, the penalties would apply in both directions. This means that, for example, a vehicle attempting to shoot at a Walker would suffer a +2D Difficulty Modifier, and a +3D modifier when shooting at an Aircraft.

This can be somewhat offset by declaring that the Fire Control systems on a weapon can be used in multiple environments. The cannon on an aircraft, for example, could include both Aircraft and Vehicle firing modes, so that the cannon may engage either ground vehicles or aircraft without penalty (and reduced penalties for walkers and characters on foot).

Anti-orbital weaponry like the ion cannon could be designated purely as Space, which would greatly penalize them when attempting to engage targets in atmosphere, and so on and so forth.

I'm still shaping the possibilities for this in my head, but I figured I'd put it out here for discussion.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman, this reminded me of our debate here regarding TIEs targeting characters on the ground. With this rule, a TIE with a Fire Control system designed exclusively for space and atmosphere combat would be looking at an additional 5D modifier against their Gunnery when trying to target a character scale target on foot, not counting any Cover modifiers.

Just a thought.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: