The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revising Official Vehicle Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Revising Official Vehicle Stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Check out the novelization of ESB.. IIRC there is several mentions of the walkers being landed beyond the shield's arc and coming in under it..

I looked, but the only thing I could find was a direct quote from Darth Vader:
Quote:
Make ready to land our troops beyond the energy shield...
Still, better than nothing...

garhkal wrote:
BUT another factor to consider.. The ranges subsume a GOOD day's visibility.. With Hoth having frequent snow storms, your line of sight might not be good enough to range them out past 1 km.. let alone to the 20k or so they were ranged for.

That might be a 2D chart you could gen up, with the 6-8 range being a normal day, the 2-5 range being progressively worse visibility, and the 9-12 range being progressively better visibility, with the world type (urban, forest, whatever) causing a visibility shift up or down the chart. You could apply that as a percentage to range or as a progressive bonus to Sensors, Perception and/or Fire Control.

EDIT: I've been considering doing something similar for Sensors in space, so as to reflect how spatial conditions like solar flares and the like would affect Sensor effectiveness.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I plan on reducing the energy ranges for the direct-fire weapons to something along the lines of what we see on the vehicles, likely with a modest range bump to make up for their relative immobility. Projectile artillery, on the other hand, is still perfectly fine for a 20-30 kilometer range, IMO.

Good. I agree with the range disconnect, and decreasing some ranges is easier to deal with in the game than increasing other ranges.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I've been considering doing something similar for Sensors in space, so as to reflect how spatial conditions like solar flares and the like would affect Sensor effectiveness.

Looking forward to it!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

That might be a 2D chart you could gen up, with the 6-8 range being a normal day, the 2-5 range being progressively worse visibility, and the 9-12 range being progressively better visibility, with the world type (urban, forest, whatever) causing a visibility shift up or down the chart. You could apply that as a percentage to range or as a progressive bonus to Sensors, Perception and/or Fire Control.

EDIT: I've been considering doing something similar for Sensors in space, so as to reflect how spatial conditions like solar flares and the like would affect Sensor effectiveness.

I could see that.. Heck i have had 'energy ribbons' ala the nexus (Star trek generations), pass through a part of space before, messing up hyperspace travel..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something along the lines of...
    Roll 2D, then compare the result to the following table:

Dice Roll = Effect on Sensors
    2 = Intense solar flares, particle levels and background radiation render sensors all but useless. -4D to all Sensors and Communications rolls, and -2D to Fire Control.
    3 = Disruptive conditions greatly interfere with ship's sensors. -2D to all Sensors and Communications rolls, and -1D to Fire Control.
    4-5 = Mild background static somewhat interferes with Com-Scan. -1D to all Sensors and Communications rolls.
    6-9 = Conditions normal. Sensors, Communications and Fire Control function normally.
    10-11 = Clear & Calm, with minimal background static. +1D to all Sensors and Communications rolls.
    12 = Crystal Clear, with no background static and ideal sensor conditions. +2D to all Sensors and Communications rolls, +1D to Fire Control.

EDIT: You could apply the same modifiers to planetary use; just the descriptors would need to be changed to reflect smog, smoke, fog, or whatever is appropriate...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving this over to Realistic Sensor Rules...

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
BUT another factor to consider.. The ranges subsume a GOOD day's visibility.. With Hoth having frequent snow storms, your line of sight might not be good enough to range them out past 1 km.. let alone to the 20k or so they were ranged for.

Not only that but without indirect fire a planets natural terrain is going to be a huge hindrance. How many worlds/battlefields are perfectly flat?

Without indirect fire that range must come down. Down, down, dooby-doo down, down.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Not only that but without indirect fire a planets natural terrain is going to be a huge hindrance. How many worlds/battlefields are perfectly flat?

Without indirect fire that range must come down. Down, down, dooby-doo down, down.

Exactly. The idea that the Empire had lost interest in ballistic artillery was WEG's invention, but there are plenty of SciFi universes where artillery is still in use, and dramatically so. Hammer's Slammers comes to mind most prominently, and I've pulled a lot of ideas from there.

But yes, bottom line, until someone comes up with a way to shoot a laser around the curve of a planet, tube and rocket artillery will still provide a unique advantage for fire support. Naval vessels in orbit may be able to provide fire support from energy weapons, but ground units will always prove more effective with organic artillery support.

BTW, with your background on a gun crew, your input would be appreciated on the Artillery topic. We're making some good progress there...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I'm thinking of doing for landspeeders is using their Altitude not as a hard number, but as a baseline which can be varied based on how fast the speeder is going. For instance, if a landspeeder had a base Altitude of 2 meters, it could get as high as 8 meters, but would have its Speed cut depending on its height above ground, along the lines of:
    1/2 Base Altitude - Any speed up to All-Out
    Base Altitude - High Speed Maximum
    2x Base Altitude - Cruising Speed Maximum
    4x Base Altitude - Cautious Speed Maximum

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 'flight ceiling' of vehicles is not a hard cap but more of a speed cap?
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
BTW, with your background on a gun crew, your input would be appreciated on the Artillery topic. We're making some good progress there...

I'm happy to look in on the thread, but gun crew was my General Quarters assignment. So tho I did receive cross training on every position in case of casualties my primary job was as a Loader, and only on the 3"50 gun. And that was 26-29 years ago. The guy circled in yellow was what I usually did.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So the 'flight ceiling' of vehicles is not a hard cap but more of a speed cap?

It fits with my understanding of how landspeeders function. For propulsion, a landspeeder is dependent on a tractor field that grips the surface underneath the vehicle. The farther away the vehicle gets above ground, the weaker its grip on the ground gets, so it has to work harder to maintain speed.

Besides, it's not as if flight ceilings function according to WEG's rules in real life. You don't get perfect performance in a vehicle up to its maximum altitude, but then can't go above it; you get a gradual drop-off in performance as the aircraft goes up, and even then, the flight ceiling varies slightly depending on the weather that day.

This idea might be applicable to airspeeders as well, but based on air density rather than proximity to the ground. My concept of airspeeders is that they use air-breathing propulsion to supplement their repulsorlifts, but rather than a fuel-air mixture, they scoop atmospheric gases into a fusion drive to create thrust. Using that concept, an airspeeder would have less and less atmosphere available as a reaction mass as it increases in altitude, due to lessened air density at higher altitudes.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
I'm happy to look in on the thread, but gun crew was my General Quarters assignment. So tho I did receive cross training on every position in case of casualties my primary job was as a Loader, and only on the 3"50 gun. And that was 26-29 years ago. The guy circled in yellow was what I usually did.

That still gives you more practical experience than I've got.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've been stalled on this one for sometime, but one of the main reasons is that I wanted to include the CommScan rules in two or three of these. In particular, the Mobile Command Base, the Chariot and the Heavy Tracker all include aspects of Command & Control, in which concrete rules on communications and battle command systems would be needed to write an appropriate stat. Now that that's settled, I'm going to be focusing on completing the updated stats for the main WEG vehicles. Here's a list of what I have left to do:
    Hoverscout
    Freerunner
    Heavy Tracker
    Speeder Truck
    ULAV
    Skiff
    Repulsor Sled
    Mobile Command Base
    Floating Fortress
    Chariot Command Speeder
    Compact Assault Vehicle
    Tramp Shuttle
    Artillery
Any requests?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skiffs

Skiffs are light-weight repulsorlift utility craft grouped into two broad classes; ground skiffs and air skiffs. Ground skiffs have higher cargo ratings than air skiffs, but are limited to ground effect operations, while air skiffs can operate up to altitudes of several kilometers, making them highly useful for operation in mega-urban environments as repair or delivery platforms.

Air Skiff
Craft: Ubrikkian's Bantha II-Class
Type: Cargo Skiff
Scale: Speeder (+4D)
Length: 9 meters
Skill: Airspeeder Operation: Air Skiff
Crew: 1
Crew Skill: Varies Dramatically
Passengers: 20
Cargo Capacity: 1 metric ton per passenger
Cover: 1/2
Cost: 25,000 (new), 13,500 (used)
Maneuverability: 1D
Move: 70; 200kph (2D+2 Surface)
Altitude Range: Ground Level to 4 kilometers
Body: 1D
Sensors:
Passive 1km/0D

Ground Skiff
Craft: Ubrikkian's Personnel IV-Class
Type: Cargo Skiff
Length: 17.1 meters
Skill: Landspeeder Operation: Ground Skiff
Crew Skill: Varies Dramatically
Passengers: 50
Cargo Capacity: 1 metric ton per passenger
Cover: 1/2
Cost: 23,000 (new), 12,500 (used)
Maneuverability: 0D
Move: 70; 200kph (2D+2 Surface)
Altitude Range: Ground Level to 1 meter
Body: 1D
Sensors:
Passive 1km/0D

House Rule Notes:
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 1D+1 Surface

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compact Assault Vehicle
Craft: Nen-Carvon's CAVw PX-10
Type: Compact Assault Vehicle
Length: 5.1 meters
Skill: Ground Vehicle Operation: CAVw PX-10
Crew Skill:
Sensors
Vehicle Blasters 4D+1
Ground Vehicle Operation 4D+2
Comm-Scan 4D+1
Cargo Capacity: 100 kilograms
Cover: Full
Cost: Not Available For Sale
Maneuverability: 1D
Move: 90; 260kph (3D+2 Surface)
Body: 3D+2
Sensors:
Passive 1km/1D
Scan 2km/2D
Search 3km/3D
Focus 300m/4D
Weapons:
Medium Blaster Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret
Skill: Vehicle Blasters
Fire Control: 2D
Range: 100m-500m/1km/1.7km
Rate of Fire: 3D Auto-Fire
Damage: 5D
Special: Auto-Drive
This droid-based system allows the Compact Assault Vehicle to essentially drive itself (at a skill equivalent of 4D), allowing the pilot to focus solely on combat. However, the effectiveness of the Auto-Drive is intricately connected to the vehicle's sensors, which have proven vulnerable to jamming. In game terms, on a successful Jamming roll (see here), add the Jamming modifier to the Difficulty of all Ground Vehicle Operation rolls).

House Rule Notes:
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 2D Surface

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 15 of 23

Jump to: