The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG Stereotyped Aliens
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> WEG Stereotyped Aliens Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:

Or, with some trimming and bits/Green Stuff, you could change the staff into a blaster rifle/carbine. The Ewok would just be gripping the stock/butt at the bottom.

What like this guy I made?
https://imgur.com/c9QxLwj
https://imgur.com/XWnGkTQ
https://imgur.com/bMm8KAn

That's based on Wicket from boxed set Return of the Jedi. Now, Ewok from Rebel Characters can be the basis of my next ewok conversion to build in some variety. I am also considering a Force-Using Ewok with lightsaber. I want to to build a PC party of 4 ewoks.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

Yes, like that.

I did some very rough Photoshopping of my ideas here to give a better visual of what I meant.

If I wasn't still painting my never-ending collections of miniatures, I might try converting one of these myself. (Nearly finished with all of the Aliens boardgame minis from GaleForceNine currently.)

Quote:
I am also considering a Force-Using Ewok with lightsaber.

A Jedi Ewok would be awesome. It wouldn't take much to change a spear into a lightsaber.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:

A Jedi Ewok would be awesome. It wouldn't take much to change a spear into a lightsaber.

To be honest, I've always liked the idea of a lightsaber that's more like a glaive... long handle, blade at the end. Not quite as agile as a saber, but a lot more controllable.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
To be honest, I've always liked the idea of a lightsaber that's more like a glaive... long handle, blade at the end. Not quite as agile as a saber, but a lot more controllable.

Like the lightsaber pike?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the D6 system had a better mechanic for Reach / Close Combat weapons...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the OP, I like having the stereotyping for different species if I need a quick thug like Greedo (Rodian) or crafty loanshark like Yerkes ne Dago (Twi'lek) - a simple reskin of an established character.

But honestly, having played a slew of Star Wars video games, I appreciate seeing other species in roles outside the old WEG norm, like militant Mon Cals, Bothan laborers, and noble Quarren and Rodian diplomats. I generally treat most nonhumans the same as humans and just use a template or the shorthand of 1D is below human average, 2D is human average, 3D is trained, 4D is professional level, etc. and move on from there. If something in the lore, whether Legend or Canon, seems interesting enough, like the Bothan's clan culture, I'll make sure to emphasize it in attributes that make sense, such as Perception or Knowledge. But the Rodian, Weequay and Trandoshan reputation for hunter-only culture - I challenge the players' expectation by introducing NPCs who are noble or simpleminded or just like whatever the PCs' role may be. The ones they assume are typical for the species turn out to be zealots or holdouts of bygone era.

I give primitive species the same treatment, though I exclude all Space Level-specific skills to start (as well as others from Feudal to Information, depending on the technical level of the society). Many sentients can be trained by an adequate professional with time, especially how to fire a blaster. I'm a bit lax on the Character Point cost for supporting cast-level NPCs. PCs get a pass with a good role-playable reason, like that Ewok who wandered onto a scout ship.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. I've always detested that they stereotyped like this. It makes the individual species so much more two-dimensional, instead of showing them as having variety. Many sci-fi franchises do this, and I find it mostly annoying.

I vastly prefer when each species is shown to have variety, and though I will still honor the tropes to a small degree, I do not have every member of the species conform to the stereotypes.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I wish the D6 system had a better mechanic for Reach / Close Combat weapons...

One of the better GM's i played under, who is what got me into GMing myself, had his own HR for it..
IF an enemy has to close in, it matters NOT what the initiative roll is. The one with reach ATTACKS first.
If the one without the reach, charges in, the one who has reach gains +1d to hit, and +2d to damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One of the better GM's i played under, who is what got me into GMing myself, had his own HR for it..
IF an enemy has to close in, it matters NOT what the initiative roll is. The one with reach ATTACKS first.
If the one without the reach, charges in, the one who has reach gains +1d to hit, and +2d to damage.

I reversed it and said that whoever won Initiative got to pick the Range, with the attendant bonuses to his weapon at that range, then established conditions where Initiative would be re-rolled to set a new Range.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: WEG Stereotyped Aliens Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Going back to the OP, I like having the stereotyping for different species if I need a quick thug like Greedo (Rodian) or crafty loanshark like Yerkes ne Dago (Twi'lek) - a simple reskin of an established character.

But honestly, having played a slew of Star Wars video games, I appreciate seeing other species in roles outside the old WEG norm, like militant Mon Cals, Bothan laborers, and noble Quarren and Rodian diplomats. I generally treat most nonhumans the same as humans and just use a template or the shorthand of 1D is below human average, 2D is human average, 3D is trained, 4D is professional level, etc. and move on from there. If something in the lore, whether Legend or Canon, seems interesting enough, like the Bothan's clan culture, I'll make sure to emphasize it in attributes that make sense, such as Perception or Knowledge. But the Rodian, Weequay and Trandoshan reputation for hunter-only culture - I challenge the players' expectation by introducing NPCs who are noble or simpleminded or just like whatever the PCs' role may be. The ones they assume are typical for the species turn out to be zealots or holdouts of bygone era.

I give primitive species the same treatment, though I exclude all Space Level-specific skills to start (as well as others from Feudal to Information, depending on the technical level of the society). Many sentients can be trained by an adequate professional with time, especially how to fire a blaster. I'm a bit lax on the Character Point cost for supporting cast-level NPCs. PCs get a pass with a good role-playable reason, like that Ewok who wandered onto a scout ship.

Cool. That made me remember that back in the day there was a Challenge article with a civilized Gamorrean character type.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: WEG Stereotyped Aliens Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Cool. That made me remember that back in the day there was a Challenge article with a civilized Gamorrean character type.

Challenging the stereotype that WEG stereotyped aliens, there's also mention of a civilized Gamorrean society in the adventure design rules in R&E.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WEG Stereotyped Aliens Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:

Challenging the stereotype that WEG stereotyped aliens, there's also mention of a civilized Gamorrean society in the adventure design rules in R&E.

Ha! I think you mean this from p.165?...

Quote:
What kind of people live in the castle? How about a sect of Gamorrean scholars? Not the typical beast-like grunts we saw in Return of the Jedi, but the educated elite of the species. OK that's different. Kristen thinks, that's a start. What might interest the characters here? Maybe records of an ancient Jedi chapter house thought to be in the caverns not far away? Not bad – she can tie this into her prior idea of the Sith holocron. Why are the type fighters swarming the fortress? Are they here because of the characters, or have the Gamorrean monks decided to openly defy the Empire?

This emphasizes that the Gamorrean scholar-monks are "different" and "not typical." So this really reinforces the stereotype – It doesn't change the fact that the Gamorrean species fluff is based on Jabba's goons from RotJ.

But it does give us another very important example of WEG suggesting that GMs can defy the stereotypes. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the stereotypes about humans? Are there any?
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

Yes, like that.

I did some very rough Photoshopping of my ideas here to give a better visual of what I meant.

If I wasn't still painting my never-ending collections of miniatures, I might try converting one of these myself. (Nearly finished with all of the Aliens boardgame minis from GaleForceNine currently.)

Quote:
I am also considering a Force-Using Ewok with lightsaber.

Cool! My other idea is a group of 4 really sucky force users.

A quixotic Jedi, an ewok shaman, and a failed Jedi walk into a bar..

(you'd think with the Force on their side, ONE of them would've missed it)
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
What are the stereotypes about humans? Are there any?

Yes, there are.

The premise of the original game's attribute/skill system was that humans are the baseline: a typical human has 2D in all attributes. So aliens could be stated out as inferior or superior based on that.

But humans in Star Wars fluff are typically described as having a high capacity for learning and being very adaptive. They are dextrous, fairly strong, perceptive, good pilots, technically abled, and generally uber to explain how they dominated the galaxy.

My reconciliation was to keep the game's system premise of 2D in all attributes being a galactic average, but change average humans to be 2D+1 in everything. I also raised their max attribute to 4D+1 in everything. Fluff honored. Yes, this makes typical humans a 14D species, above the galactic average.

This is not a problem in my game where all PCs have 18D in attributes regardless of species. This would only be a balance problem if you remained loyal to the old rule of typical attribute dice +6D. There is no game mechanical reason for that rule. Species should be statted out according to their abilities, and not all species evolve equally. There only has to be game balance with PCs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: