The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How does Hyperspace work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How does Hyperspace work? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
The white current Rolling Eyes not one of my favorites...makes me wonder where I left my canoe. Razz

I liked it for the powrs they had, and their 'stay out of things' mantra.. BUT not for where they came from and the 'lukes mom may have been a member' crud.

Quote:
Exactly! I agree 100%. That's why I have hard time understanding how the EU can even be considered one single universe by anyone. There are definitely a lot of cool things in the EU, but as a whole the EU is one giant schizophrenic space-time anomaly. The directives for the EU's continuity are (1) it is not supposed to contradict the films, and (2) it is not supposed to contradict itself. I feel it has failed miserably on both accounts, even with the use of retcons.

Agreed. Its gotten as bad as trek with all the different authors..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Thanks for your clarifications. But you can still "do-over" the unacceptable stats yourself. And for the record, I actually enjoy reading some of your posts - thus my attempts to better understand your views.

And that is a quandary all of its own. I can see ways that the ship could definitely be improved over even the official stats, but then it would no longer be canon...

Quote:
I feel it has failed miserably on both accounts, even with the use of retcons.

Exactly. Oh, for the good old days...

Quote:
I hope that now you can respect that each of us have our own definitions of canon that comprise our own SW universes, just as I can respect the need for a hierarchy to know what is and isn't official canon, for the sake of discussing official canon.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I can at least grit my teeth and tolerate the situation. To me, the idea of everyone being able to invent their own canon is the very antithesis of having a canon in the first place. A canon is supposed to be an undisputed body of knowledge that is accepted as fact by a given set of people (in this case, Star Wars fans). The facts may be open to some interpretation, but are still accepted as fact at their core. IMO, canon is exactly the wrong word to apply to the current status of the SWU. Anarchy seems more appropriate.

Quote:
Thats how it is supposed to work anyway. But then again there are zillions of discontinuities that remain unresolved so this could all be just a bunch of BS.

No kidding. The old AOL list made the distinction between Canon and Official, in that Canon covered the films and the material directly derived from them (the novels and the radio dramas), while Official covered all the rest of the EU. At this point, even thinking about it makes me want to take a double shot of Jaeger and go to bed.[/img]

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hyperspace Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It's been almost 20 years since I read the Daley Solo books and I killed a lot of brain cells afterwards, so I do not posess instant recall on that topic. Do you mind refreshing my memory of how hyperspace described to work in those books? If so then I'll be happy to reply to your question with respect to the concept of hyperspace I presented in this thread. Thanks.

Actually, going back and looking for references ended up resolving my own question. The Han Solo trilogy references a field the surrounds the ship in hyperspace, protecting it from energies that would completely disintegrate the ship's structure. Both references refer to unprotected beings being caught outside the field and completely obliterated. It meshes well with your idea in that the field works hand in hand with the drive by protecting it from the harmful effects of hyperspace while the hyperdrive keeps the ship in hyperspace itself.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I liked it for the powrs they had, and their 'stay out of things' mantra.. BUT not for where they came from and the 'lukes mom may have been a member' crud.

I liked the powers too. Did you end up folding them into the Jedi power list or still keep them separate?

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
To me, the idea of everyone being able to invent their own canon is the very antithesis of having a canon in the first place. A canon is supposed to be an undisputed body of knowledge that is accepted as fact by a given set of people (in this case, Star Wars fans). The facts may be open to some interpretation, but are still accepted as fact at their core.
No, canon still works definitionally. It's just that the set of people that accepts any particular canon is smaller by far than the group of all Star Wars fans. Maybe as small as a few people who game together. I'd say it's a bit like religious canon post reformation. Now that no one gets to burn heretics anymore. Wink

I read and posted on Star Wars internet discussion groups at the same time you did, and there was no uniform canon among those posters on those groups, but much discussion about the D6 system, the Star Wars universe, peoples characters and adventures, new vehicles and stats, how to roleplay. Pretty much the same kinds of topics as you see here. In fact at no time since the existence of new Star Wars material after the first film did all Star Wars fans ever accept one uniform canon. I recall debates about various material and sources way back before any SW RPG existed, was play tested, or even was designed.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
The old AOL list made the distinction between Canon and Official, in that Canon covered the films and the material directly derived from them (the novels and the radio dramas), while Official covered all the rest of the EU.

Nowadays, "canon" is by default the same thing as "official"... specifically, G, T and C canon together, all the canon comprising the EU. If one is referring to a specific designation of canon and it is not clear from context which one is being referenced, then it should be specifically qualified.

Whill wrote:
I hope that now you can respect that each of us have our own definitions of canon that comprise our own SW universes
crmcneill wrote:
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I can at least grit my teeth and tolerate the situation.

Thanks. That's mighty big of you. Your tolerance is appeciated.

crmcneill wrote:
To me, the idea of everyone being able to invent their own canon is the very antithesis of having a canon in the first place. A canon is supposed to be an undisputed body of knowledge that is accepted as fact by a given set of people (in this case, Star Wars fans).

I acknowledge your opinion of the way it should be, but as I tried to describe, it is not that way. Official canon is not determined by the fans. It is determined by Lucasfilm and their Publishing department. It is handed down to us, like it or not. That's why so many of us feel the need to choose what we accept and what we don't. We each like some parts of the whole body of Star Wars, but don't like everything being handed down to us.

I would suggest trying not to get hung up on semantics too much. You can understand what the term "canon" is officially used to mean. You may not agree with the official use of the term (from them instead of determined by a body of fans), but it is technically not incorrect usage within the context of the Star Wars frachise.

crmcneill wrote:
To me, the idea of everyone being able to invent their own canon is the very antithesis of having a canon in the first place.

Now I can entertain the notion that maybe "canon" isn't the best word to use for each fan's individual personal canon, but when designated as such I think it instantly tells someone else what you are talking about. Anyone who understands "canon" can instantly deduce the meaning of term "personal canon". I invite you to suggest better terminology, but since you apperently don't have a personal canon that is not identical to the offical EU canon (suprisingly, as much as you think the modern EU is an inconsistent mess), then I doubt you will be able to suggest something better. And no, "my absurdly existential personal view of Star Wars" will not be adopted. 8)

crmcneill wrote:
A canon is supposed to be an undisputed body of knowledge that is accepted as fact by... Star Wars fans

This reminds me of the Naboo prairie political dialogue in the middle of the cheesy AotC 'falling in love' sequences...
Quote:
PADMÉ: How would you have it work?
ANAKIN: We need a system where the politicians sit down and
discuss the problem, agree what's in the best interests of
all the people, and then do it.
PADMÉ: That is exactly what we do. The trouble is that
people don't always agree

I'm sorry, but I can think of no better terms to describe your notion than absurdly unrealistic. How could anyone possibly think that all Star Wars fan could ever agree on what is officially canon? (If we would ever be granted that freedom which we won't.) I don't know any two SW fans that undisputedly agree on everything, and you feel all of them are "supposed to"?

Similar to what the AotC film dialogue goes on to describe, official Star Wars canon is a dictatorship. Emperor Lucas is the dictator (although he delagates most of the authority). However, the Emperor has decreed that there is a Star Wars Multiverse. He has graciously acknowledged the freedom that each SW fan has to define the continuity of our own personal Star Wars universes. If you an an individual SW fan choose to waive that Force-given right for yourself, then you are free to do so. But don't expect that everyone will ever agree on canon. That's more than silly.

Each of us having our own personal canon (no matter what you want to call it) is the solution to the problem you identify that EU is so self-contradictory. I'm proud that "The Whills Universe" is not inconsistent because I use my own personal hierarchy of sources to determine what aspects of official canon gets eliminated or changed for my world. I've never known any fan that was so critical of the EU as you are at the same time as feeling powerless to do anything about it due to the unrealistic way you think everyone is supposed to agree.

That's like choosing to have a disease that you don't have to just because you feel that everyone is supposed to have the same disease (that they don't). You sir, are an enigma to me! Smile I've gotten my innoculation at the free clinic and now the inconsistencies of the EU don't bother me so much because I don't let them affect my SWU.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Now that no one gets to burn heretics anymore. :wink:

Not strictly true. The power to burn at the stake still rests in the hands of the various forum moderators. There is even a little homage to one of them still drifting around the internet, in the pages of the Jedi Handbook netbook.

Jae Walker was the moderator for the AOL SW-RPG group, and she used the handle Empress Jae. She wasn't afraid to boot people from the list if the discussions devolved into knock-down drag-outs (which did happen on occasion). I don't recall the entire back story, but soon after Jae deleted one offender, someone on the list invented a tongue-in-cheek Force power called FZOOOK! which essentially deletes a living being, as if they never existed. The power was attributed exclusively to Jae, describing what happened when people were deleted from the list. When the handbook was compiled and edited, FZOOOK! was included as a C/S/A power. I actually just downloaded a copy from somewhere less than a month ago, so it's nice to see the legend of Empress Jae lives on.

Quote:
I read and posted on Star Wars internet discussion groups at the same time you did, and there was no uniform canon among those posters on those groups...

Maybe we weren't on the same groups then. I have distinct memories of the hierarchy of canon being used with all the subtlety of a battle axe to shut down more than one proposed concept, all because the in-universe evidence that supported the concept was contradicted in some fashion by something else further up the canon chain. It seemed to be just the way things were; all the major contributors adhered to it, so I just shrugged and went along with the crowd.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Not strictly true. The power to burn at the stake still rests in the hands of the various forum moderators.
Hardly the same thing. I'll take banning on an Internet forum over actual wood and flame for heresy any day. And I meant religious canon has proliferated into something pretty close to personal canon since the Church stopped killing heretics.
crmcneill wrote:
Jae Walker was the moderator for the AOL SW-RPG group, and she used the handle Empress Jae...
Yes I know Jae and am aware of FZOOKing. When I lived in Michigan, she ran a character in my Star Wars D6 campaign and I ran one in hers when she playtested WOTC D20.
crmcneill wrote:
Bren wrote:
I read and posted on Star Wars internet discussion groups at the same time you did, and there was no uniform canon among those posters on those groups...

Maybe we weren't on the same groups then. I have distinct memories of the hierarchy of canon being used with all the subtlety of a battle axe to shut down more than one proposed concept, all because the in-universe evidence that supported the concept was contradicted in some fashion by something else further up the canon chain. It seemed to be just the way things were; all the major contributors adhered to it, so I just shrugged and went along with the crowd.
Possibly not, but Jae's discussion group was the main one I had in mind. Perhaps it is our recollections of the debates that differ.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Possibly not, but Jae's discussion group was the main one I had in mind. Perhaps it is our recollections of the debates that differ.

Really? What was your screen name?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I liked the powers too. Did you end up folding them into the Jedi power list or still keep them separate?

Like with the WoD, i kept them separate.. TO even learn them you have to find a WC user to try and learn from (almost impossible unless you join)..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Bren wrote:

Really? What was your screen name?
No idea. I mostly lurked and didn't post much as I recall. A good friend of mine who had the rules to most games known to man found the site back when I was playing other things, mostly CoC, RQ, and StarTrek and I found it useful to see how other people were playing before we started and afterwards to get a sense of what house rules folks liked. I recall for a while we used a version of the Haste rules that I think Mike Soulier wrote up. I have a pretty vivid recollection of heated discussions about how tough stormtroopers ought to be. Emperors Elite or just a bunch of mooks? That sort of debate.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Lucas stated the order of canon as I recall, when asked directly about the time of the Timothy Zahn novels. It was, "Myself, then the movies, then EU." I got writers guidelines from LucasArts about then, which were about two pages deep about what you can and can't touch. Those have changed frequently however, except the policies about whom they will let publish fan material commercially.

As for Hyperspace in Star Wars, technically it's just relativistic normal travel. People don't understand application of lorentz contractions for relativistic factors though, so don't realise you can actually follow current physics and run around like you do in Star Wars. It's just that it would be prohibitively expensive and difficult, but the physics are mundane.

What the "hyperdrive motivator" generally deals with in this hypothesis is relativistic mass and time dilation among the galaxy at large, that's the wow factor.

See here's the whole game, lengths contract in the direction of travel. At a relativistic factor of 2, which is something like 0.86c it takes half the time for me to travel 1LY. Go faster it takes even less time. From my perspective, since it takes me less than a year to make 1LY distance, I'm already well exceeding the speed of light and doing it using regular everyday physics in normal realspace travel, just moving very very quickly.
This was proved by the muon experiment. Normal travel has you going as fast as you want to, there is no speed limit to the galaxy.

...except for relativity. See the reference frame for my originating point, from which the distance is originally measured and navigated, well for that place it ages as if I were doing 0.86c without a relativistic length contraction.
So from that point of view time dilated, lengths didn't contract. I got to my 1LY destination more than a year later, but had aged far less than a year.

So Star Wars doesn't fluff the travel part or the SFX on the screen for doing it either. What it fluffs is the fact that every individual sector of space functions within its own frame of reference, time travels at varying rates throughout the universe. Time is not a constant, that's why relativity makes c the galactic constant. It's really just syntax, quite misleading at that.

Interstellar travel is no problem for physics. Still having an existing universe around you when you arrive at a distant destination however...that is something physics definitely has a problem with.

This is handled within a fictional piece of scifi canon: passage of Time is a galactic constant, not c in scifi physics. Almost all scifi physics.

- actually and I vaguely recall GL retracted his canon for the Falcon doing "point 5 past lightspeed" in an interview.
Doesn't matter though, I'm sure we could creatively incorporate it anyway.
Oh and Star Trek uses subspace, which is from the Brane theory crowd, not recognised in current application of physics. In that negative values in lorentz application represent an alternate dimension of travel (where time flows backwards or some such). You would still have relativistic issues approaching those speeds however, which they fluff by "transmitting craft directly into subspace from normal (non relativistic) speeds in realspace." Or something along those lines.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armchair cosmologist here. Sorry vanir, nothing personal, but not all of that is correct and most of that is irrelevant to travel through Hyperspace in Star Wars. I don’t want to get into a big debate on physics, but I’ll say a couple things. Special Relativity is self-consistent and switching between frames of reference requires an adjustment in the definition of the present. It is true that everything in the galaxy is always is in motion, but the relativistic effects of moving through space much less than the speed of light are negligible, so the only thing that really matters to the observation of time dilation in a galactic civilization is ships moving at “relativistic” speeds (near but not exceeding the speed of light), relative to all the planets (that aren’t).

Hyperspace exists to violate the laws of real space physics, as relevant to the planets’ frame of reference. It takes light thousands of years to travel from Tatooine to Alderaan. But the Falcon makes it from Tatooine to the Alderaan system is much less time. From the Alderaan frame of reference, the Falcon travelled much faster than the speed of light (FTL) from Tatooine. Hyperspace is an alternate dimension of existence in which the speed of light can be exceeded relative to the planets in real space. The equation for calculating time dilation of FTL travelers with respect to the planets' frames of reference (even bringing in unnecessary minutia such as length contraction as you did) yields imaginary numbers and thus do not directly apply to FTL travel. Hyperspace travel was hand-waived into existence by the SW Creator because it was necessary to do so. The physics of normal real world travel through real space cannot possibly explain what we see in the films.

And regarding the concern of time dilation, it is obvious from the films that the passage of time in the frame of reference of the passengers on a ship travelling through hyperspace is intended to be approximately the same as it is to those in the frame of reference of the planets they are travelling from and to. So special relativity doesn’t really factor that much into interstellar travel as shown in Star Wars. And Holonet transmissions allow for live communication with someone across the galaxy, which means the messages move at speeds even much faster than ships in Hyperspace. And Holonet transmissions can exist between planets and hyperspace ships or between two ships moving independently through Hyperspace at different speeds in different directions. All planets all over the galaxy are virtually the same frame of reference to Holonet messages and ships moving through Hyperspace. This is typical of Space Opera.

Since the origin and destination systems are technically not in the exact same frame of reference for the passage of time, I can also just hand-wave a quality of Hyperspace that states that the frame of reference of the ship is the average of the start and end points. And when that Holonet transmission comes in from somewhere else, then there is possibly a 3rd frame of reference is factored into the average. But my point above was, the differences in frame of reference of time passage between any two points in space is so small on a relativistic scale that they’re negligible, so if you average 2 or 3 things that are virtually the same then your result is virtually the same as each thing.

However, there is a time when special relativity may come into play in SW: The acceleration to FTL speeds from non-relativistic speeds (the “jump” to hyperspace), and the deceleration from FTL to non-relativistic speeds when dropping out of hyperspace. If there were too much acceleration to or deceleration from FTL speeds in real space, then time dilation would stack up over time and frequent hyperspace travelers would noticeably age more slowly than everyone else. The EU does actually address this with the existence of “relativistic shielding” that inexplicably prevents time dilation, forcing the passengers on the ships jumping to and from hyperspace to experience time in the same general frame of reference as everyone else in the galaxy. Major hand-wavism there.

I choose a simpler explanation. If you are already going to accept the fantastic existence of Hyperspace and hyperdrives anyway, then to me it seems more reasonable to assign another fantastic quality to Hyperspace than to invent yet another implausible technology. In my SWU, the “jump” to hyperspace occurs before the ship actually accelerates to relativistic speeds in real space, and likewise, the jump from hyperspace occurs after the ship decelerates to non-relativistic speeds. Not only does Hyperspace allow FTL speeds, it also “suppresses” time dilation for relativistic speeds when accelerating to and decelerating from FTL (for the split-second you are accelerating or decelerating). This attribute would be consistent with there being no discernable time dilation while travelling FTL through Hyperspace. This also solves the exponentially increasing energy requirements needed to accelerate ships to relativistic speeds in real space. (The elongation of stars that is seen when about to jump is merely a visual effect that is a byproduct of these two dimensions connecting, but the actual acceleration and deceleration through relativistic speeds both occur within Hyperspace, for me).

This goes along with my theory of hyperspace that the “natural” state of objects in hyperspace is FTL with respect to planets in real space. You can be in Hyperspace for brief nanoseconds of time travelling relativistic speeds, but Hyperspace naturally “wants” to quickly accelerate anything that just entered it through “relativistic speeds” to FTL. Exactly how much FTL depends on the hyperdrive, the astrogation for plotting the jump, and the speed of the plot. Perhaps disengaging the hyperdrive motivator allows some element of “drag” from real space to influence the ship to pull it down to below the speed of light, which then naturally decelerates it through relativistic speeds on its way to “spitting you out” back into real space at the same momentum you had when you jumped into Hyperspace (with negligible time dilation).

And as a side note, I’ve noticed that the term “lightspeed” is misleading to some fans. It is not actually the speed of light because even that speed is still way too slow for the immense scale of distances travelled in Star Wars. So lightspeed by definition means FTL. In my SWU, the term lightspeed was derived from the original phrase “faster-than-light speed” to make the term lightspeed make more sense to me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
In my SWU, the term lightspeed was derived from the original phrase “faster-than-light speed” to make the term lightspeed make more sense to me.
Of course. Smile Sort of like how in casual conversation television may become"telly," automobile bacomes "auto," ocean liner becomes "liner," automatic pistol becomes "automatic," etc.

Thanks for the cosmologicaly explanation Whill.

I generally think of hyperspace as different dimension or space (sort of a murky, spacey wacey place) with a 1-1 topological mapping between it and our dimension or normal space. Travel in the hyperspace dimension takes less time relative to our space either because travel occurs faster in that space or because distance is actually compressed relative to normal space. One way to envision this would be to think of placing one ball inside another, much larger ball. Now form a mapping of every point on the surface of the larger ball to a point on the surface of the smaller ball. So if A and B are points on the larger ball A maps to A' and B maps to B'. To get from Point A to Point B on the larger ball (normal space) may take 3 weeks at the speed of light. But by moving to hyperspace (the much smaller ball) the time to travel from A' to B' may only be 3 hours. Thus travel time is the time to enter hyperspace plus the 3 hours from A' to B' plus the time to exit hyperspace. If the smaller ball is sufficiently smaller than the larger ball, no faster than light speed actually need occur.

I'm not certain how, in the Star Wars universe one would go about proving which theory is the correct one, however.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no offence taken Whill, I already stated pre-emptively,

Quote:
People don't understand application of lorentz contractions for relativistic factors though

1/sq.rt.[1-(v^2/c^2)]

If I accelerate my starship to 0.9999c I travel over 233 Lightyears of physical distance as calculated from a relative velocity vector for every year of travel, relative to my original frame (ie. point of origin) I am travelling at 233x lightspeed from my point of view. My frame of reference is however unique in relation to my original frame whereby navigation was made, the distance originally calculated between two points lay in one frame and I'm in another during travel, neither is any more real or unreal than each other, nor any more relevant. But time dilation is most definitely a factor.

The only magical part about Star Wars hyperspace, like I said is the fact that when I get there, we have been in the same frame of reference the whole time. That's not physically possible.

But travelling there is no problem, mathematically. There is no limit to how fast you can go, none. You can just keep getting closer to c and the relativistic factor simply continues to increase, with c forming infinity...so you can never reach c but at the same time there is no limit on your relative velocity vector in relation to any other frame of reference. No speed limit, none. The limit is in how far you depart the original frame of reference, whether or not there will still be a universe when you get there.

Concisely, this is special relativity, it's the extrapolate twins paradox.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: