The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Offical stats for the Pulsar Skate in -any- game system?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Offical stats for the Pulsar Skate in -any- game system? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject: Offical stats for the Pulsar Skate in -any- game system? Reply with quote

The Rouge Squadron books are some of the most overlooked in terms of sourcebooks, and the Pulsar Skate is no exception - as far as I know it's never had official stats in any rpg. Does anybody know of official stats for the ship, in any rulesystem at all?

Also, from the WEG Rouge Squadron Sorucebook that was lost, it's been mentioned that some stats have survived - is the Pulsar Skate among them?

Thanks. Smile
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Offical stats for the Pulsar Skate in -any- game system? Reply with quote

There are WEG SW stats for it here...

https://www.rancorpit.com/forums/downloads/Rancor%20Pit%20Stat%20Compilations/Starships_Stats_R&E_censored.pdf

And welcome to the Pit!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Offical stats for the Pulsar Skate in -any- game system? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
There are WEG SW stats for it here...

https://www.rancorpit.com/forums/downloads/Rancor%20Pit%20Stat%20Compilations/Starships_Stats_R&E_censored.pdf

And welcome to the Pit!

Thanks! Smile But isn't the one there fan made? I'm wondering if any game system ever head official ones (meaning the author was consulted).
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that there was a Rogue Squadron Sourcebook in the works when WEG stop doing Star Wars D6. No clue as to who was involved, so there's no way to find out if official stats were made. A sourcebook dealing with the Rogues, Wraiths, and Starfighters of Adumar would have been a gem of a deal.
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I might be wrong, but my understanding is that there was a Rogue Squadron Sourcebook in the works when WEG stop doing Star Wars D6. No clue as to who was involved, so there's no way to find out if official stats were made. A sourcebook dealing with the Rogues, Wraiths, and Starfighters of Adumar would have been a gem of a deal.

The information as to who was involved I 'think' is out there in old forum threads/etc.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Offical stats for the Pulsar Skate in -any- game system? Reply with quote

JohnLydiaParker wrote:
But isn't the one there fan made?

Those are very likely fan made stats. I am not aware of any official WEG publication that included stats. I just meant there are stats for and specified that stats are for the WEG Star Wars game, since your ask mentioned stats for any game system. And unfortunately, that fan work is frustratingly inconsistent in the sourcing of entries.

Quote:
I'm wondering if any game system ever head official ones (meaning the author was consulted).

I think there is a flaw in the premise of your question. There is no such RPG industry mandate in place that requires an original fiction author that wrote about a ship to necessarily be consulted for the creation of game stats. I'm not saying that never happens, but it is not something you could assume in every case. So even if the ship is found to have official game stats in some game system or another, the author may not have been consulted.

As far as the general quality of the game stats themselves, it has been my experience that officially published stats are not inherently superior to fan made stats. There is a mixture of good and bad for both stat sources.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Offical stats for the Pulsar Skate in -any- game system? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
JohnLydiaParker wrote:
But isn't the one there fan made?

Those are very likely fan made stats. I am not aware of any official WEG publication that included stats. I just meant there are stats for and specified that stats are for the WEG Star Wars game, since your ask mentioned stats for any game system. And unfortunately, that fan work is frustratingly inconsistent in the sourcing of entries.

Quote:
I'm wondering if any game system ever head official ones (meaning the author was consulted).

I think there is a flaw in the premise of your question. There is no such RPG industry mandate in place that requires an original fiction author that wrote about a ship to necessarily be consulted for the creation of game stats. I'm not saying that never happens, but it is not something you could assume in every case. So even if the ship is found to have official game stats in some game system or another, the author may not have been consulted.

As far as the general quality of the game stats themselves, it has been my experience that officially published stats are not inherently superior to fan made stats. There is a mixture of good and bad for both stat sources.

Ohhh. The critical question is whether Mirax upgraded the sublight drive, and since a stock Bando is space 10, a slight upgrade would leave it space 11 or even 12. The official fact file (while giving a lower speed) says she upgraded it by 20 percent, which would probably be 11??
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 20% of 10 would be 2. So she shifted it from a 10 to a 12.. MAN that's fast!
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 7:38 am    Post subject: Scum and Villainy Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well 20% of 10 would be 2. So she shifted it from a 10 to a 12.. MAN that's fast!

Yes, quite!

Scum and Villainy is the only RPG sourcebook to mention the Pulsar Skate according to Wookiepedia (take it with a grain of salt). Having downloaded & checked the D6 Conversion.pdf, there was no Pulsar Skate stat block, ergo i must presume it had no stats in the original Saga Edition book.

Personally, i think i'm gonna take the stats presented in Star Wars D6 Starships Stats R&E censored & change the sublight/Space to 12 & Atmosphere Speed to 450; 1,300 km/h.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the stock ship was statted out too fast in the first place.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I picture the Baudo as the SW equivalent of a cigarette yacht or go-fast boat: basically the sports car equivalent of a boat, but also commonly (at least in the past) used for smuggling. Having it be fast and luxuriously appointed, while also fragile and expensive, fits nicely.

But frankly, having it be as fast as an A-Wing is over the top. If anything, leave the sublights alone and give it a x3/4 hyperdrive, which is actually mentioned in the Rogue Squadron novels (Mirax says it has a Point 6, “not as fast as the Falcon, but definitely better looking.”)

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

I picture the Baudo as the SW equivalent of a cigarette yacht or go-fast boat: basically the sports car equivalent of a boat, but also commonly (at least in the past) used for smuggling. Having it be fast and luxuriously appointed, while also fragile and expensive, fits nicely.

But frankly, having it be as fast as an A-Wing is over the top. If anything, leave the sublights alone and give it a x3/4 hyperdrive, which is actually mentioned in the Rogue Squadron novels (Mirax says it has a Point 6, “not as fast as the Falcon, but definitely better looking.”)

Agreed, plus the "liner" nature of the scale is in question - that why I have it 11, same as a TIE Interceptor.
Actually, I prefer the speeds from D20 RCR. Mostly the same numbers, an X-Wing got boosted to 10 (X-wing series says it and a TIE Starfighter are the same speed), probably most fighters could get about +1 to their speed, but an Interceptor is speed 12, and an A-Wing is speed 14 (along with a Jedi Interceptor). So on that scale I'd put the Skate' at 12. Also, I'm more then a bit new to the system, but why list it as a 0.75 hyperdrive instead of the actual 0.6? Since the Falcon' is probably about space 8, the Pulsar Skate could arguably state a better claim to "fastest ship in the galaxy" when you take both sublight and hyperdrive into account.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Needs For Speeds Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

i Agree, ships purpose-built for Speed should be FAST. The Millennium Falcon wasn't designed or built to be fast, it's a space cargo truck. Han hot rodded the heck out of it to make it the Fastest space cargo truck in the (Furious) galaxy.
The Baudo is SSS (Sleek, Swift & Sexy). I'm modding a pair for NPCs.
Given that the Millennium Falcon is Fast as a TIE Interceptor in the New Republic Era, i don't mind the Pulsar Skate being as fast as an A-wing.

I Am however throwing out the comic book art, because the novels describe a Baudo, not a kitbash Frankenstein.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Needs For Speeds Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Given that the Millennium Falcon is Fast as a TIE Interceptor in the New Republic Era, i don't mind the Pulsar Skate being as fast as an A-wing.

The counter argument there is that the A-Wing is basically a pair of massive engines with just enough shields, weapons, sensors and other necessary systems strapped onto it to make it useful as a fighter. All ship design is a trade-off between multiple design limitations, and the A-Wing trades pretty much everything for speed. A space yacht that matches speed with it while carrying 20+ tons of cargo is OTT.

Now, in your case (I assume you’re increasing the speeds of basically every military starship in the setting), a faster Baudo works because everything else is sped up, too. But simply speeding up the Baudo to make it as fast as the fastest starfighter in the galaxy is unbalancing.

Quote:
I Am however throwing out the comic book art, because the novels describe a Baudo, not a kitbash Frankenstein.

Agreed. I don’t even particularly like the comic book version as a stand-alone ship.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding myself in agreement. THe Baudo, being a Yacht, having the same or better speed than interceptors and such, WHILE also being good for cargo and personnel is OTT>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: