The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Expanded Universe Novels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Expanded Universe Novels Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the biggest question answered in episode three was which of the twins was older.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPECULATION: Since the movies are still years away, any books already far enough along to be released this year will probably still be released.

FACT:Disney will disreguard any EU that contradicts it's new movies.

SPECULATION: Disney will not disreguard ALL the EU.

We know the movies are going to jump 20-30 years after ROTJ. They can either use the existing material to fill that gap, ignoring what they don't like, or pay people to come up with 30 years of back story, while alienating all the fans that like the material.

Fan favorites, in particular the Thrawn Trilogy, should be considered. It's widely reguarded as being responsible for revitalizing the franchise. The Rouge Squadron material is also great and shouldn't interfere with their plans in the future.

What I suspect will be cut it is the New Jedi Order and Legacy Era books. The NJO is in the time frame of the new movies and would obviously conflict, and the Legacy Era material is dependent on NJO.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Thrawn Trilogy is the most popular, and it may have revitalized the franchise. But the Thrawn Trilogy stood on the shoulders (Timothy Zahn was given source material) of Star Wars the Roleplaying Game "D6". And maybe the only reason the new novels were written was because of the popularity of the RPG. There are a few good stories on the website The Gamer Effect about the history of the Star Wars RPG. Everyone should read it. I'm sorry I don't know how to link to it.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, it's the reason I read the Thrawn Novels in the first place. I read an article at the time, where Zahn stated that they handed him a pile of the Star Wars D6 RPG books and told him to treat them as canon. I love reading Zahn Star Wars novel since they always have easter eggs from the RPG.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link for the story griff mentioned.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Here's a link for the story griff mentioned.

Thanks for having my back DougRed64.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article.

It is a shame that WEG overextended themselves with licensing.

Paranoia (1984)
Ghostbusters (1986)
Star Wars (1987)
Ghostbusters International (1989, second edition of Ghostbusters: A Frightfully Cheerful Roleplaying Game)
Torg (1990)
Shatterzone (1993)
The World of Indiana Jones (1994)
The World of Necroscope (1995)
The World of Tank Girl (1995)
The D6 System: The Customizable Roleplaying Game (1996)
Indiana Jones Adventures (1996, conversion of The World of Indiana Jones to the D6 System)
The World of Tales from the Crypt
Shatterzone (1997)
Men in Black (1997)
Hercules & Xena (1998)
Stargate SG-1 role-playing game (1999, aborted project, due to bankruptcy)
DC Universe (1999, published under Humanoids Inc.)
Metabarons

I've owned, and or played, at least half of them.

They should have stopped after TORG.

Once they started adding "The World of" in front of a title it went down hill.

Admittedly, Metabarons is pretty good if you want to get familiar with the setting, but any time I thought about running it we just ended up playing Star Wars instead.

DC Universe plays well, but the character creation is a nightmare of buying attributes, skills, powers, advantages, etc.. all out of the same dice pool.

Also, at some point they decided, like some evil foreshadowing of EOE, they decided adding was too difficult, and made special dice, that you would just count successes.

There was also Masterbook, where they decided to print everything using TORG's game mechanic, instead of D6, but it was convertable back and forth, so you just ended converting everything to D6 anyways.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

I also have an old set of Star Wars cards (I believe from ESB) that shows Luke and Leia's age as being two years apart (he 22, she 20).
Relativity.

Leia travelled at relativistic speeds experiencing time dilation to the point of being 2 years younger than Luke? Artoo kept telling everyone that faulty hyperdrive motivator was the reason why the ship's chronometers seemed to keep losing time and they were always late, but no one would listen.

I believe TEBS novelization stated Luke was 23. Mark Hamill is actually about 5 years older than Carrier Fisher. Lucas did not decide to make Leia be Luke's twin sister until soon after TESB in RotJ pre-production.

crmcneill wrote:
Kytross wrote:
Splinter of the Mind's Eye was published before Empire came out.

I once read an interesting theory that actually allows Splinter to fit with the canon. To explain the presence of Vader in that novel, it was postulated that the Emperor cloned Anakin/Vader without his knowledge, then either forced the clone to wear the Vader armor or tortured him so severely that he had to wear it.

Hey, maybe the clone wanted to wear the Vader armor.

crmcneill wrote:
Vader found out about the cloning project and killed all of the project's clones, but not before the first one had been sent on the mission to Circarpous to kill/capture Luke and was killed. The Vader clone at Circarpous had no idea that Luke was the real Vader's son, thus explaining his actions at the battle scene in Splinter.

I always liked Splinter, and this works for me as an explanation to fit it with the canon. YMMV.

I don't like the idea of cloning Force-sensitives. If it were possible to clone Force-sensitives, then I would think it would happen more often. I like to think that it is extremely difficult and rare, if it even exists at all. But maybe the Dark Empire just put a bad taste in my mouth, and then the Thrawn Trilogy cloning two Jedi just ran it into the ground long ago.

That being said, I'm not a fan of Splinter so that having a Vader clone instead of the real Vader is not a bad idea for that story. It does somewhat help explain how well Leia and Luke do against Vader in the lightsaber battle. Of course if Luke didn't know that was clone of Vader, then Splinter still seems to be at odds with the subsequent Vader-Luke confrontation on Cloud City, which is clear to me that it's the first time Luke confronts Vader.

And that still doesn't explain why Leia is the one that can't swim. Wouldn't she have a better chance at knowing how to swim than someone who grew up on a desert planet with no bodies of water?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. So much of making the EU fit together ultimately comes down to what degree you are willing to ignore things that just plain ol' don't fit, and never will.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

And that still doesn't explain why Leia is the one that can't swim. Wouldn't she have a better chance at knowing how to swim than someone who grew up on a desert planet with no bodies of water?

I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and figured the author used the "girls can't do things" trope. It was either that or Leia twisting her ankle.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
True. So much of making the EU fit together ultimately comes down to what degree you are willing to ignore things that just plain ol' don't fit, and never will.

Another way of putting this: To make the EU fit together you need a really powerful pair of electro-beer-binoculars! Laughing
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though if I understand things properly, they're kind of done retconning everything for a while. From what I've gathered from a few E VII news blurbs is that they're having some meetings within Lucas Arts to make some determinations as to what is definitively cannon and what is going by the wayside. They'll be doing away with C cannon and D cannon, and whatever-letter-cannon, and making a cohesive "in" or "out."

It kinda makes sense if you're going to make anything that happened 40 years after E VI.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Rumor_Characters_In_New_Continuity_Will_Be_Based_On_Characters_From_The_EU_156408.asp

Quote:

Rumor: Characters In New Continuity Will Be 'Based On' Characters From The EU
Posted by Eric on January 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM CST | 76 Comments
The website Star Wars Episode 7 News has posted a significant rumor dump. Let's get right to their report, which they say comes from a source code-named "JediDigger":
EU characters are the templates for major new-continuity characters. "Right now they're looking at using the basic descriptions of EU characters with different names," the website reports. Characters that will be based on their EU counterparts include Luke's wife and the children of the Big Three.
Other EU-inspired characters will appear in Episode VII. "Fans should not expect to see Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn or Cilghal," the website says, "but characters who are very much like them."
Luke's wife has existed for a long time. At least in George Lucas' mind, that is. According to this story, "the love of Luke Skywalker's life" is "a character George Lucas has had since the end of Return of the Jedi."
Michael Arndt hasn't left Star Wars. In fact, according to this report, Arndt has "moved on to Episode 8."
The push for a new continuity came from the top. Disney executives, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, and Lucas Licensing head Howard Roffman. This isn't that surprising. Who else would have had the authority to orchestrate something like this?
Here's the big takeaway as far as the transition from old-continuity to new-continuity is concerned: "Most of the new characters in the new continuity are based on characters from the old continuity."
This post follows an earlier story in which Star Wars Episode 7 News reported that Mara Jade would appear first in Star Wars Rebels alongside the Inquisitor, that Rebels "has very strong connections" to the sequels, and that both Chewbacca and Mara would be alive thirty years after A New Hope.

On the heels of these major rumors, one point cannot be emphasized enough: Nothing is confirmed until Disney or Lucasfilm says it is. While it would not be at all surprising if Lucasfilm used elements of the EU to stock the new universe that they are creating, these specific rumors are coming out of left field from a website without a reputation for accurate scoops. Given that, please take this report with a grain of salt.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually really liking that things will either be "in" or "out". The various levels of canon were kind of silly, IMV.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they will effectively plagurize work of EU authors, but not give them credit..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: