The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

d6holocron Astrogation Computer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> d6holocron Astrogation Computer Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Totally Not An ISB Agent
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: d6holocron Astrogation Computer Reply with quote

I miss having the Astrogation Computer available. Is there any way we could put a call out for someone with the proper coding skills to assist in getting it up and running again?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc, the creator was our own Mikhail Hasselstein, but he’s been MIA for quite some time.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: d6holocron Astrogation Computer Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Iirc, the creator was our own Mikhail Hasselstein, but he’s been MIA for quite some time.

Sad but true.

Totally Not An ISB Agent wrote:
I miss having the Astrogation Computer available. Is there any way we could put a call out for someone with the proper coding skills to assist in getting it up and running again?

On Facebook, the owner/admin of D6 Holocron talked about what it would take to get it back up and running. IIRC.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry about that fellas.

My life took a pretty big turn. It was certainly for the better, but my Star Wars gaming took a bit hit.

It's regrettable that I simply can't recreate the old one, must less make a new one, but it's simply a fact. Still, there were quite a few things that were off about the old astrogator. The travel times that I took from WEG were just not in line with Star Wars lore as it developed.

However, the French one really has an awesome feature that mine never had, which was to list the systems along the shortest route one needs to take. It also links to the Wookieepedia pages of the systems/planets involved.
Totally Not An ISB Agent
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool. I didn't even know this existed. Thanks.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
Yeah, sorry about that fellas.

My life took a pretty big turn. It was certainly for the better, but my Star Wars gaming took a bit hit.

Good to see your words again, my friend.

Quote:
However, the French one really has an awesome feature that mine never had, which was to list the systems along the shortest route one needs to take. It also links to the Wookieepedia pages of the systems/planets involved.

That is very cool!

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Mikael!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Good to see your words again, my friend.

I hope you are well!

Whill wrote:
Welcome back, Mikael!

Thanks. I don't promise to stick around since - as said - I don't do much SW gaming anymore. I just thought it'd be fun to poke back in after a few years.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Mikael!

The French one is cool (and Google translate works well with it), but it only has planets up to the mid-Fs in the alphabet. One can't even get to Fondor, yet alone Tatooine.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Welcome back, Mikael!

The French one is cool (and Google translate works well with it), but it only has planets up to the mid-Fs in the alphabet. One can't even get to Fondor, yet alone Tatooine.

Thanks!

Perhaps not in the drop-down menu, but if you type the systems in it seems to work okay. I typed in Tatooine, Turkana, and a number of different system names starting later in the alphabet.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are well!

Well enough. Still on the road, and enjoying it. Yourself?

Quote:
Perhaps not in the drop-down menu, but if you type the systems in it seems to work okay. I typed in Tatooine, Turkana, and a number of different system names starting later in the alphabet.

Programming is well outside my skillset, but how hard would it be to do an English language version of this?

Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I hope you are well!

Well enough. Still on the road, and enjoying it. Yourself?

I am doing well! I live in Sweden now and am much more securely employed than back in the day. Totally different life.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Quote:

Programming is well outside my skillset, but how hard would it be to do an English language version of this?

The programming skillset that I once had decayed to nothing and I do not have the time or energy to update myself. I don't even know if I actually have all the files that went with that project anymore.
DeltaFolee
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently spent a few hours hacking together a sort of English clone of the French version of the hyperspace time calculator, you can try it out here : https://deltafolee.ddns.net/navcomp/

It includes links to Wookieepedia for the intermediate planets and the hyperspace routes they lie on. I have the hyperspace multiplier locked to multiples of 0.25 at the moment.

Right now the way it basically works is by finding the shortest distance between two planets by hopping between neighboring planets, and the travel times are proportional to the distance traveled (which isn't exactly lore accurate, but it's at least a start). There's also a large time penalty for legs of the journey which aren't near well-traveled hyperspace routes.

My travel times don't exactly match the French version, which I sometimes think is a good thing, as it has some very strange randomly large hyperspace jumps between planets which are in close proximity (and I'm not aware of lore reasons for them, though I could be ignorant).

The dataset and algorithms I'm using are based on this GitHub repo I found, if anyone is interested: https://github.com/Wason1797/StarWarsMap

Feel free to let me know if you find issues, or have particular feature requests (assuming I could figure out how to implement them). The map isn't complete, but it currently has over 2000 planets, and I can add in missing ones if you find them.
deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Looks good

Deano
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaFolee wrote:
I recently spent a few hours hacking together a sort of English clone of the French version of the hyperspace time calculator, you can try it out here : https://deltafolee.ddns.net/navcomp/

It includes links to Wookieepedia for the intermediate planets and the hyperspace routes they lie on. I have the hyperspace multiplier locked to multiples of 0.25 at the moment.

Right now the way it basically works is by finding the shortest distance between two planets by hopping between neighboring planets, and the travel times are proportional to the distance traveled (which isn't exactly lore accurate, but it's at least a start). There's also a large time penalty for legs of the journey which aren't near well-traveled hyperspace routes.

My travel times don't exactly match the French version, which I sometimes think is a good thing, as it has some very strange randomly large hyperspace jumps between planets which are in close proximity (and I'm not aware of lore reasons for them, though I could be ignorant).

The dataset and algorithms I'm using are based on this GitHub repo I found, if anyone is interested: https://github.com/Wason1797/StarWarsMap

Feel free to let me know if you find issues, or have particular feature requests (assuming I could figure out how to implement them). The map isn't complete, but it currently has over 2000 planets, and I can add in missing ones if you find them.

Very cool.

I do agree some of the times feel....long.

I think what I am going to do is half the times for the major routes.

thanks again for putting this together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: