The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obi-Wan Kenobi [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Obi-Wan Kenobi [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
Spoiler Alert: in 10 years, Owen, Beru, Ben, Bail, and dang near every Alderaanian you see in Ep. 1 are dead.

Don't forget the Grand Inquisitor, who will be dead in 5 years.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no expectations, save for the "Obi Wan will be an 'old hermit' by the time of Star Wars original movie".

Comparing it only to The Mandalorian (my favorite) and Book of Boba Fett (watched as many episodes of it now as I have of Obi Wan).

The sets on Obi Wan look fake-ish. The desert looks phony. The scenes look odd in some way. Almost "not real".

I dislike how the action all seems to take part "in a bubble". Basically, where the main event is taking place, that is all that seems to exist, and everything outside of that doesn't exist or even register the existance of the things in the "bubble".

Examples: Episode 1 - 3rd Sister cuts the hand off of a gal for speaking up how the Inquisitors don't have authority in that town. Besides the rather fake looking hand that falls on the ground, once 3rd Sister focuses her attention on Owen, no one else exists or does anything. There's no wails of pain, no gasps of shock from the multitude of people standing around. No people fleeing to get away from the crazy lady swinging the lightsaber and cutting off hands. You don't see the lady clutching her stump in pain. You never see anyone draw a blaster. 3rd Sister then threatens Owen and that entire time you still just have people standing around like it was a day in the park, just seconds after a lady had her hand cut off. A "bubble".

Episode 2 - Leia runs from Obi Wan and some random alien guy grabs Leia, making grunting sounds and not trying to actually run away with her...just grabbing her and grunting. Obi Wan shoots the guy. There's multiple blaster shots fired. You hear a couple of shots of shock at the thing, one guy tries to draw his blaster but Obi Wan attacks him and takes him down. Everyone else just stands around looking while this goes on. Obi Wan runs up to Leia, Leia talks, then runs further away. This is obviously an Imperial world. They show Imperial troops around in various areas. Where is the calls for the troops? Where is the people shouting for justice, or pointing the direction Obi Wan went after shooting a guy? It seems like once they leave the 'area of engagement', all of the bystanders go back to being just people milling around and talking with one another. Another "bubble".

Oh, I was entertained when I watched the shows, but not really enthused about continuing to watch them. So many of the sets look so fake. The rooftop scenes in Episode 2 looked atrociously fake. I really don't care for the brash 3rd Sister. She hot-headed, impulsive, obsessive, and until she taunts Obi Wan in the storage room, never exhibits any sense of calculation or cunning. She's a brute force, and not at all interesting. The Inquisitor she kills is more interesting. The other Inquisitor with the helmet is more interesting, and they get less time on screen. I guess she's only ever gone after Younglings with no real lightsaber training, because if she want against anyone with any sort of lightsaber training she would likely get her tail end handed to her because of her impulsive, reckless demeanor. I know, they're trying to convey she's acting from the Dark Side, which is chaotic. Fine. Then keep her like that. The transition to a taunting, cunning bad guy in the storage area just seemed like an about-face to try to make her into a dangerous, recurring villain that Obi Wan must be afraid of.

Add in that the whole concept of Obi Wan going to Tattooine was to disappear and watch over Luke. He CAN'T fight Inquisitors on Tattoine, as it would bring too much attention to the planet. And he can't watch over Luke always going to other planets and having adventures. So how are they going to make a series where a person is TRYING to disappear be interesting? His days consist of doing a menial job and going home. Over and over. Obviously that was successful, otherwise he wouldn't be alive come the movie and Luke would remain undiscovered that entire time.

So, honestly, I'm probably don't watch Obi Wan with any sort of regularity. It was just "okay-ish" for me. Too fake looking. Too many instances of things happening in a bubble. And the seeming desire to turn it into a lightsaber swinging action fest, has me worried. That's not the way to keep Obi Wan off the radar and have Luke remain undiscovered. The 3rd Sister villain is just ho-hum. Honestly unthreatening, just pompous and brash, reckless and prone to just going off on her own. Reminds me of Kylo Ren a bit.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not bad, it's decent entertainment. But it's worse than TBOBF which in turn was worse than TM.

The music is a huge letdown for me, for a Star Wars property though.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Comparing it only to The Mandalorian (my favorite) and Book of Boba Fett (watched as many episodes of it now as I have of Obi Wan).

Well, you made it as far as the best episode of TBoBF, the second one. It's pretty much downhill from there. But a couple of the later TBoBF episodes are all about Mando, Grogu, and Luke. If you are a fan of The Mandalorian, these basically compose Mandalorian season 2.5 so you might want to watch them. Things definitely end much different than the end of TM season 2.

Grimace wrote:
The sets on Obi Wan look fake-ish. The desert looks phony. The scenes look odd in some way. Almost "not real".

This reminds me of a conversation my friend-since-before-RotJ Mike and I had one time:

Quote:
MIKE: That doesn't look like a real Hutt.
WHILL: Say that again, slowly.

The main reason that Tatooine looks almost unreal, is because it is not real.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think if you go back and watch TM again now, because TBoBF and OWK use the same exact virtual background technology. Did you just finally notice the man behind the curtain that was always there? If the effects actually devolved over time, then someone needs to be fired.

Grimace wrote:
So, honestly, I'm probably don't watch Obi Wan with any sort of regularity.

Well it is only six episodes total, so no one is going to watch it with any regularity, unless they keep rewatching the same episodes over and over again.

TauntaunScout wrote:
The music is a huge letdown for me, for a Star Wars property though.

I agree.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:15 am    Post subject: OWK Reply with quote

So I rewatched Part 3 between yesterday and today. There are some head-scratchers, for sure.

The middle of an open field on a hill in the day time is a really stupid spot for an underground contact meet-up.

Leia acted exactly like a I had imagined a 10 year-old Leia would (trying to take charge and talking too much), but that was a boneheaded slip-up of Obi-Wan to call her "Leia" in front of the stormtroopers, right after he had been so insistent on their cover story.

The stormtroopers who Freck picked up had been out actively looking for a Jedi, but weren't very suspicious of Obi-Wan when they got on the truck. One got angrily suspicious after Obi-Wan called Leia a different name than they had been told her name was, but still had no idea that Obi-Wan might be the Jedi they were actually looking for.

Why didn't Obi-Wan use the Jedi mind trick on the stormtroopers?

In the tunnel of the underground railroad for Force-sensitives, Jedi had signed their names and drawn Jedi symbols on the wall. That doesn't seem like a very wise thing to do if you are being hunted down by the Empire.

Kenobi V Vader Round 2 was very underwhelming. I get that Obi-Wan was rusty, but he was acting like a padawan, not a former Jedi Master on the High Council. Now I'm sure there will be another round before this is all over, but the first meeting of these character in 10 years should have been a bit better. And they should have used more John Williams in the scoring, with some direct musical references back to the epic battle on Mustafar.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Obi Wan would use all the slag hills to gain high ground....
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Part 3, continued Reply with quote

...I forgot one above...

Only the probe droid can identify Obi-Wan? It doesn't make any sense that the stormtroopers on the planet weren't given a stock image of Obi-Wan to know who to look for. If the probe droid can transmit a recording of Obi-Wan to the Mustafar system instantaneously right before he destroyed it, then the Inquisitorius could have transmitted a stock image of Obi-Wan to the stormtroopers on the planet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: "Princess Leia (as of Obi-Wan-Kenobi)" Reply with quote

From this thread's OP
Quote:
Spoilers are allowed here at any time. Outside of this thread, please see the Rancor Pit Spoiler Policy...

From the linked Spoiler Policy thread
Quote:
(a) Do not post spoilers in thread titles.
(b) For each film or Disney+ series, there will be a single "Spoilers Allowed" thread stickied to the top of the General Star Wars forum when it premieres. These are the only threads where open spoiler discussions of these things are allowed without restriction. (And please do not 'cross-spoil' by posting spoilers for one show or film in the Spoilers Allowed thread of another show or film.)
(c) For story releases less than three weeks old of media other than films and Disney+ series, such as new novels and comic books series, please feel free to create a 'spoilers allowed' thread if there hasn't already been one created for that item.
(d) Outside of the Spoilers Allowed threads, please use White Font Colour tags for any spoiler text. Please be tactical about the use of spoiler tagging. If the mere presence of spoiler tagging would hint to a revelation in the film or episode, please instead post it in the applicable Spoilers Allowed thread.
(e) Outside of the Spoilers Allowed threads, please do not post images with spoilers, including in the Star Wars Memes thread. As an option you can always post a URL to spoiler images.
(f) Outside of the Spoilers Allowed threads, please clearly identify links to web pages with spoiler content. If the URL text itself is a spoiler, please only post it in the applicable Spoilers Allowed thread.
(g) Three weeks after a new media's release date, spoiler restrictions no longer have to be followed for the release. So for a Disney+ series, when an episode becomes three weeks old, you still have to follow the restrictions for any more recent episodes, until they each 'age out of the spoiler zone' on their own schedules.

Deleted from its own thread entitled, "Princess Leia (as of Obi-Wan-Kenobi)"
shootingwomprats wrote:
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post, so I will be sure to include a spoiler field.

For those who have watched Obi-Wan-Kenobi Parts I-IV, I have put together some preliminary stats for 9 year old Leia and would appreciated feedback.

SPOILER WARNING
|
|
<snip>
|
|
SPOILER WARNING END

Quote:
LEIA ORGANA
A Force-sensitive Human female was at various stages of her life, a politician, revolutionary, and Jedi Knight of the New Jedi Order. The daughter of Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and Senator Padmé Amidala of Naboo, Leia was the younger twin sister of Luke Skywalker, and, shortly after her birth, she became the adopted daughter of Bail Organa and Queen Breha of Alderaan, making her a Princess of Alderaan.

Leia Organa (as of Obi-Wan-Kenobi)
Type: Princess of Alderaan
DEXTERITY 2D
Running 4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
willpower 4D+2
MECHANICAL 1D
PERCEPTION 3D+2
STRENGTH 1D+1
Climbing/jumping 3D
TECHNICAL 1D
Special Abilities:
Skywalker Line: Leia Organa is the daughter of The Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker and like her brother Luke Skywalker, has nearly limitless Force potential. She also has an indomitable will (+4D modifier modifier to willpower checks) and deep insight into people (+2D modifier to command and Perception checks to gain empathetic insight into people).
This character is Force-sensitive
Force Points: 2
Character Points: 3
Move: 6
Equipment: L0-LA59
Source: Emperor Ollie

The thread's title was a spoiler! Some people may not know that Princess Leia is even in this show because her inclusion was not in trailers or revealed in advance. Adding the Spoiler Warning and all spacing don't help when the spoiler is in the thread's title. I have a friend who just started watching the series today. The first two episode's spoiler restrictions will not age out of spoiler protections until June 17th.

To post stuff like this, please either wait until three week's after the season's final episode, or post it in the thread's dedicated spoiler thread. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son and I also questioned why Tala left Leia alone when obviously Leia is important to him. (Naturally it was a plot point). My brother though was irritated that Reva figured out where the tunnel went and beat Leia to the pilot. We’re still watching it though. I’ve still seen worse.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
I’ve still seen worse.

That is not my standard for an official LFL Star Wars project.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the most recent episode. The special effects for the scenes with ships and speeders seemed kinda chintzy and unconvincing. The snowspeeder hovering in place to shoot repeatedly at someone (who had no trouble parrying blaster CANNONS with a lightsaber) was also pretty goofy looking to me.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Part 3 Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
My son and I also questioned why Tala left Leia alone when obviously Leia is important to him...

Leia is a young future leader, and she did plead with Tala to go help Obi-Wan. Hokey, but a bit down on the list from the worst offenses of this episode (here and my next post under that).

Ninja-Bear wrote:
...(Naturally it was a plot point). My brother though was irritated that Reva figured out where the tunnel went and beat Leia to the pilot.

Yeah, plot point so Leia could be captured and rescued in the next episode.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone hava a writeup on Wade?
CommanderFocs
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Kenobi Episode 4 And Jedi Fallen Order Similarities Reply with quote

Episode 4 of the Kenobi show and the 2019 video game Jedi Fallen Order definitely have some similarities. Jedi Fallen Order follows the adventure of the main character Cal Kestis, who is a young Jedi who survived Order 66. Personally, I really enjoyed the game and would recommend it to any Star Wars fan. Now, the similarities between the Kenobi show and Jedi Fallen Order.

-For starters, the Fortress Inquisitorius on the planet Nur, which both Cal Kestis and Obi-Wan Kenobi enter very similarly, both entering the fortress underwater.

-I also have to mention Purge Troopers. Although the Purge Troopers in the Kenobi show have a different helmet design and maybe some slight armor changes, the color scheme is still the same as in Jedi Fallen Order and they are still Purge Troopers.

-Tala Durith's role as a female ally for Obi-Wan Kenobi mirrors Cere Junda's role in Fallen Order. Both Tala and Cere are a female ally that helps a male, Jedi main character.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi and Cal Kestis both broke an underwater Fortress Inquisitorius window to flood a hallway and escape their opposition.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi and Cal Kestis are both a male, Jedi main character who face a named, female inquisitor. Cal faces the 2nd sister, Trilla, and Obi-Wan faces the 3rd sister, Reva.

There are 5 similarities between episode 4 of the Kenobi show and the video game Jedi Fallen Order that I noticed.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenobi Episode 4 And Jedi Fallen Order Similarities Reply with quote

Thank you!

I do like the new Purge Trooper design a bit better.

CommanderFocs wrote:
Episode 4 of the Kenobi show and the 2019 video game Jedi Fallen Order definitely have some similarities. Jedi Fallen Order follows the adventure of the main character Cal Kestis, who is a young Jedi who survived Order 66. Personally, I really enjoyed the game and would recommend it to any Star Wars fan. Now, the similarities between the Kenobi show and Jedi Fallen Order.

-For starters, the Fortress Inquisitorius on the planet Nur, which both Cal Kestis and Obi-Wan Kenobi enter very similarly, both entering the fortress underwater.

-I also have to mention Purge Troopers. Although the Purge Troopers in the Kenobi show have a different helmet design and maybe some slight armor changes, the color scheme is still the same as in Jedi Fallen Order and they are still Purge Troopers.

-Tala Durith's role as a female ally for Obi-Wan Kenobi mirrors Cere Junda's role in Fallen Order. Both Tala and Cere are a female ally that helps a male, Jedi main character.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi and Cal Kestis both broke an underwater Fortress Inquisitorius window to flood a hallway and escape their opposition.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi and Cal Kestis are both a male, Jedi main character who face a named, female inquisitor. Cal faces the 2nd sister, Trilla, and Obi-Wan faces the 3rd sister, Reva.

There are 5 similarities between episode 4 of the Kenobi show and the video game Jedi Fallen Order that I noticed.

And, since in Disney canon all stories are equally canon, we have this odd situation where the Fortress Inquisitorius didn't learn anything from Cal Kestis' break in, so five years later Obi-Wan gets into the fortress the same way Cal Kestis had.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: