The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Item Cards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Item Cards Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Item Cards Reply with quote

A few months ago I posted my item cards and a Gimp template over on Reddit. You can find that thread here.

I used a series of one shots to refine these for a (mostly) first edition Old Republic campaign I'm putting together. This is a smaller but more consistent set that you can find here. Each card pulls in relevant rules like damage types (which I discussed in another thread), the scatter diagram, etc. I have adjusted a few of the items from their original sources--for instance, all melee weapon difficulty is directly related to the damage dealt--so I dropped the source listing seen on the unaltered Second Edition versions.

My goal is to make it easy for players unfamiliar with the system to understand the game mechanics of their equipment. I'm not handing out cards for things like glow rods or datapads where the rules are either secondary to the narrative or obvious from context.

Comments and critique are welcome.
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the hold-out blaster as an example:

Edit: Thanks for the info on sizing. These are now scaled down from the print versions you'll see in the Dropbox link.

Last edited by raithyn on Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

I have item/weapon cards for similar reasons in my game (well had for my d20 game, slowly making them for my d6 game....) - but I had not made mine double sided!

I have an access database for mine, and made a report I can print out that puts the card data and a graphic onto a 3x5 format - I print them on cardstock and cut them out.
That way I can mix the ones I print out, with just hand made notes on 3x5 cards (sometimes you gotta have a card that says "Medkit" on it)....

I use them for reference - but also - for tracking of important items "who has the medpack" "oh, I do- right here is my card..." kind of thing.
I don't make them for most mundane items or things everyone has (clothes, complinks, credsticks etc.).

(I think I posted the image correctly......let me know if incorrect).

A ton of my house rules embedded in there - ignore those - the idea is that is what my weapon cards look like...

Questions
I understand you are using gimp to make them - of is that just the template and you use another progam to manage the data and build the card?

How are you printing them out of curiosity and getting the front and back to line up?

Last edited by pakman on Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great questions.

• I have the data in Excel. I haven't set up automated scripting for this set just because I was messing with the layers to get the look I wanted enough at first that it would have taken just as much time to do that as to copy/paste each entry. That should be possible to set up with Python.

• I used a base poker card template that include bleed. I find I can print double-sided on my printer with the cut marks only on one side and not have any issues with missing content on the other. (I usually make the front image look nice and allow for a little skew on the back rules text.) Bonus is that this template matches all the major print on demand sites so I can get a nice deck if I want once I'm fully satisfied.

With the first set, I was still figuring out how I wanted to run the game. With this second revision, my general philosophy is that fewer items will allow my players to focus on the narrative rather than chasing each +1 pip. I toyed with the idea of cutting the weapon selection down even further but building out modifications a little more extensively. I may ultimately do that but this seemed comprehensive enough to cover a full campaign without issue.
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

I didn't see your image until after I replied. These look great. Enough of an image to quickly find the right card and all the rules presented in a consistent manner.

I also started with the idea of tracking important quest-related things this way but dropped that idea. In my D&D games that I tend to hand out physical artifacts so if they find a star map or a keycard, they'll probably have a physical representation without immediately getting full info on the related game mechanics. I did include medpacs, kolto talks (Old Republic, so no bacta yet), and space suits.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raithyn wrote:
Is there a way to downsize this with BBCode? nothing I've tried works.

No, there isn't. The forum guidelines address how to deal with large images.

But the first step is, don't put two wide images side-by-side. I edited your post so that one is above the other.

It looks like they are into the buffer width right before they make my horizontal scroll bar appear in my browser. They are still over the 750 pixel width limit for using the IMG tags, just not significantly over.

That is some nice work and I'm guessing that your cards are designed with respect to size and resolution for printing purposes. If you want to show them off in threads you may want create a "preview-sized" version, which I would suggest be significantly less than 750 pixels wide. For most people to see the entire card at once, I would suggest they not be more than 500 pixels tall. That will bring the width down to point you can put front and back of the card side by side in a post and it would still be under the 750 pixel width limit.

The other option is just to share URLs to the images in the posts.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some players make their own on 3x5 index cards. BUT i have not seen any official ones.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly lurk these days, but wanted to pop in and offer some thoughts:
I did something like this for a D6 sci-fi game I was running with testing groups. I made several weapon and equipment cards. I used a prepackaged set of printable business cards that came with a Word template for microsoft (this was back circa late 90's early millennium). One side was color and featured a data pad image and the weapon or item on it, the other side was black and white with all the stats. I used it for large weapons, and special gear. Overall it was well received and the players liked it. I cannot say it was a completely original idea as I was inspired by numerous source, including the Ghostbusters RPG (and Warhammer 40K 2nd edition Wargear cards).

@raithyn - These look nice overall and it is a great idea. The advice I would offer though is to have the images focus on more just the item or weapon in the card front.

@pakman - those are really nice as well, and a lot closer to what I would have liked to have done if I had a printer that could print on heavier cardstock, and if I had a paper cutter at the time.

Somewhere I have a color image I made to replicate the look of the datapad used in WEG publications like the various Cracken books. If I could find it I would be happy to share it for anyone who wants to make Double Sided equipment cards to use to paste pictures of your weapons on. I have to be clear, this was an image I made using the Cracken books Datapad cover as reference, this is not a scan. I will try to look for it.
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, KageRyu. I'm definitely interested in any graphic elements you're willing to share. I'm currently working on force power cards and plan to develop more "boring" (by which I mean almost entirely text) pages for character templates and my GM screen inserts.
hunter_1828
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Very nice.

I have item/weapon cards for similar reasons in my game (well had for my d20 game, slowly making them for my d6 game....) - but I had not made mine double sided!

I have an access database for mine, and made a report I can print out that puts the card data and a graphic onto a 3x5 format - I print them on cardstock and cut them out.
That way I can mix the ones I print out, with just hand made notes on 3x5 cards (sometimes you gotta have a card that says "Medkit" on it)....

I use them for reference - but also - for tracking of important items "who has the medpack" "oh, I do- right here is my card..." kind of thing.
I don't make them for most mundane items or things everyone has (clothes, complinks, credsticks etc.).

A ton of my house rules embedded in there - ignore those - the idea is that is what my weapon cards look like...

Questions
I understand you are using gimp to make them - of is that just the template and you use another progam to manage the data and build the card?

How are you printing them out of curiosity and getting the front and back to line up?

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here. Do you have these as a template that can be shared? If you posted it already and I missed it, I apologize.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_1828 wrote:
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here.

hunter_1828, welcome to the Pit!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_1828 wrote:
pakman wrote:
Very nice.

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here. Do you have these as a template that can be shared? If you posted it already and I missed it, I apologize.

Thanks for your comment!

Tempalte...hmmm.... not exactly...I would be happy to share - just not sure the best way how...or what format is useful.

As mentioned - these are made in MS Access - although, you could use just about anything that allows for the alignment of text on a graphical background. My first test was putting one in excel as an image and using various sized spredsheet cells to lay out text etc.

I made a background in powerpoint (easier to adjust for me than in art program) then used that as a report background in MS Access.

Below is the graphical background I used - it is incredibly simplistic compared to someone with actual graphic arts skills could do (of which there are a few hightly talented folks here on the pit!) - but it is good enough for my uses.

I will see if I can figure something else out for the access part...

The key was I sized the image (of one card) to 3" high by 5" wide (or what ever you would want) - and put my text on top of that. We use 3x5 card organizers - with each little section for party loot, what is on the ship, etc.
Then at the start of the session - the players pass out non-permanent gear so as to who is carrying what.

(so when wandering the outer rim - yes, one of them might carry the T21 Light repeating blaster - but on Alderann - it is in the ship and they don't have the card etc. - but he does have the Stun Baton card....).

This allows them to also pool resources easily - "ok, throw the grenades and medpacs on the table...." instead of fumbling for characters sheets which may or may not have been updated in months....

(if you as a gm can get your players to keep everything up to date and accurate - I salute you - me, I am happy my players showed up and MAYBE read the session summary before we started...maybe).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great way to handle portable resources..
PLUS If the card(s) have all the relevant info on, then there is less "what does x do" scrambling into the books..
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest building them in your favorite program of choice, and then converting them to PDF. That way, you can upload them to the Community Files without worrying about Google altering them. I'd also suggest that Will add them to the Library given how useful they are.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that motion.

All in favor say Eye! Death Star
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: