The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

REUP set for. REfresh in 2024
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> REUP set for. REfresh in 2024 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I’ve always thought the rules needed an update and revision, but that opens a whole other can of worms as to exactly which rules, and how.

This - to me the value of reup is that it is a compendium of most of the weg d6 star wars material, with a tiny bit of later d6 (some from d6 space - like the background options).

THat way - it is kind of the best raw/rai (editing fixes) compilation we have.

There already are a few new versions out there - not many, but a few - and they vary dramatically in depth and crunch (some light- some not).

In fact, I had so many house rules for my game (many of which inspired by the pit), that it is almost a new edition (107 pages done of about 225).

So, to me, I would keep it pure as possible.

NOw, having said that - "popular house rules" section or appendix - voted on by polls etc. might not be bad.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the rub. A clean R&E RAW. Or to tweak the wookie strength cap lol.

I've come to this temporary conclusion... Subject to change... The game is almost 30 years old. D6 space opera, D6 space and countless other house rules have evolved since the good old .txt email group list back in the 90s (and much of that was meh).

There is no doubt that 2.5 R&E could be improved upon. But it shouldn't be. It should include all it's flaws (save the ability to correct some obvious typos and use oxford commas.... Sorry bill smith...). It doesn't invalidate any other house rules that way.

And the flavor of the month has been rules lite. Idk why, but it is... And 2E/2.5 is seen as crunchy! Which my 16 year old self in 96 would laugh at because SWRPG got a ton of shade from guys in my circles back then because it didn't have the "depth" of D&D 2E

If I were in charge and could dream up an editon it might look like this:

.R&E rules as written. Other WEG supplement/sourcebook rule options in sidebars.... Documented as to what supplement they came from. I'm staying away from D6 Space and WOTC rules conversions. Let the community do that. But not EVERY rule. I've never used base building rules for instance.

The gamemaster section will be more robust with material from the Gamemaster Handbook. It's simply IMHO the best GM book ever written.

The universe section will be "re-expanded" to include some of the stuff from sourcebooks... It won't be all-encompassing (no world devastators or sun crushes) but the staples.

It will very much mirror the sw sourcebook (not the SE sourcebook, it's half character stat blocks) with some EU added in.

As far as the EU, this will mainly be focused on rebellion era but with clear allowances for Clone Wars, Tales of the Jedi, New Order, Legacy etc. There just won't be stats for that stuff. Fans can dream that up if they want it. The material will all be WEG and the main EU inspirations will be:
Tales of the Jedi (to a very small extent)
Han Solo at stars end et. al. (More mentioning than starting much from the corporate sector sourcebook)
Shadows of the Empire (a bit on swoops and Xixor)
Bakura (mentioned only, no stats... Well one haha)
Courtship of Princess Leia (hapans, night sisters)
Thrawn (a bit of this for sure)
Jedi Academy (some)
Corellian trilogy (mentioned)
X-wing was sadly lost to time so not much. This is fan territory
As far as darksaber, thrawn duology and the rest... Not much

The EU is very present in this version, probably see a sta block for thrawn, noghri, admiral daala etc... (Mara Jade of course) but it's not the focus.

Not a slap in the face of the rest of star wars... Just placing the material in context with the rules

Trying to keep the page count down. Not just because of cost se nsitvity... But because Id want it to be something that is useful and not just a collectors edition. Something that WEG could actually publish in 98 and id beg plead and borrow to buy.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and a question... Is this a horrible title

The Star Wars Roleplaying Game Revised and Re-expanded? (R&R)

Feel like it's either catchy or corny and horrible lol. Not sure which one.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second something like this. Not as 'bloated' (perhaps not the best word) with so much extraneous stuff that the REUP had. But basically canon stuff plus a very much smaller bit of Legends material.

It would be much more affordable for folks to print off, too.

R&R would make it clearly different from R&E.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klhaviation, I love the focus on the classic era, and your whole vision for the scope of this thing. Bless you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the affirmation and food to feed my imagination.

Art is the biggest challenge. I have no dislike for digital art... But it throws off the feel of the page. REUP used saga editions font with digital art. It felt like it was a 2010 book... Homage was paid to Saga.

R&R would be divorced from that. In the artistic side of my brain I want it to conform to publishing standards of the late 90s.

Classic adventures did this to a degree... Cheltenham font, (replaced the Avante Garde Headers with Elektra... Walmart used Avante garde for the great value brand
.. it's ugly lol) it was intentionally black and white with stills or concept art. It was ment to look like it was printed in 87.

Id like an R&R to have the same "feel" but still be accessible and pleasing to the eye. Art would be a challenge to attain that goal.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITC Serif Gothic headers are very WEG Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
ITC Serif Gothic headers are very WEG Star Wars.

ITC Serif Gothic Heavy 18p. 8pt above paragraph, 2ot below paragraph has been a significant part of my life lately.
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
klhaviation, I love the focus on the classic era, and your whole vision for the scope of this thing. Bless you.

I have a good feeling about this.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
LTAaripJasall
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: TItle Reply with quote

I logged in to mention it sounds like the project is in good hands.

Some common sense skills being slimmed, the fonts correct, and a focus on the original material sounds like a great time. The RR acronym works too in shorthand:

SWRPGRR
SWD6RR

I'm sure you probably have artists you can find to duplicate the original art styles, but there are also generative tools these days that might help like Stable Diffusion.

-DarthBanjo
davidagnome
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Gondor Offers Aid. Reply with quote

If there's anything I could do to help. I've got about eight years experience post-college in graphic design but moved into data visualization and analytics two years ago. Originally wanted to make school textbooks which is like a stealthy way to learn how to make rpg books.

I love the idea of multi volume set to reduce the cost of printing the player-facing core rules (and keep the binding intact, most print on demand use low quality glue-on bindings). It also prevents scope creep if each book has a clear through-line. Old School Essentials did this brilliantly with modular tomes.

Separate Era or Galactic Gazetteers (Galactic Civil War or Core Sectors) would be great. Most only need the player-facing aspects for their templates.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw or House rules?
Keep it raw - update where raw was changed with later supplments.

PUt the house rules in a "Common House rules section" - but only a few - you could have polls and take the top ten or something.

This includes moving the advantages and background options to "common house rules".

You can segregate between "Inspirations from later versions of D6 by Weg and their ancestors" and "common house rules by the community".

Fluff and Lore
There are incredible amounts of lore out there - from Star wars .com itself to wookiepedia - not to mention incredible volumes of comics, games, tv shows and movies - I would keep 90% of the deep lore out of it.

Mention it of course, but we dont need a gazetteer describing the history of the jedi or what has happened on Alderaan.

Lists of Gear and Ships
I would put in a few examples of each - the basics - a few ties, a few rebel ships, a couple from clones wars or maybe old republic. The rest - find online or other books or - suggest variants...etc.

Era Focus
I know some may disagree - and that is fine.
Don't confine it to the Rebellion era. There is a WHOLE lot more star wars than than just the three movies that existed back in the day - yes, there could be endless "canon" and other discussions - I would say - make it era agnostic. Focus on rules.

THEN - have a short section on playing in different eras.
As most of the differences are just in the social nature of the campaign.

Size and Content
Have a specific goal - maybe 250 - maybe 300.
Yes, you can cut fluff from the R&E - the key is the rules etc
Have a rules key and glossary if possible....

My project;
I am working on a massive house rules overhaul - which honestly - is really almost a new edition - so a lot of these things I have been thinking about. Now, my approaches are different than REUP - with a different goal (I AM changing a lot of things - not just consolidating, reformatting, cleaning up etc.)

But one of my goals has also been to make a rule-set that is 250 pages or less - and how to incorporate things - so some of this is in common with the reup considerations.

As someone who has worked on my project for well over a year, and is about 70% done - I have tremendous respect for t he amount of work that goes into these types of things...

anyway - best of luck to everyone - and have fun in YOUR game.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found myself nodding along with pakman's and davidagnome's comments. Both make excellent recommendations.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's RAW... very RAW. even the hyphens are just as the original... New art, but in many cases identical digital updates. Current scope is just the core rules, Special edition Sourcebook (minus some head scratching special edition stuff) and the gamemaster screen. It's evolving into an anniversary edition reprint... With some extras... Which I'm very ok with... Because every rule page reference will be accurate... It's coming out better than I anticipated.
Zulith
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this -- I'll be following along Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: