The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

DVD's and Blu-Ray questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> DVD's and Blu-Ray questions Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: DVD's and Blu-Ray questions Reply with quote

Hi,

Am I crazy or did they re-dub Boba Fett's lines in the ESB Blu-Ray to give him a new accent? I'm getting tired of this 1984 Orwellian handling of the franchise.

Were the 1997 theatrical releases ever made on DVD? I don't mind a lot of the changes, but I will not abide Hayden Christiansen and "Weesa free!" being added to ROTJ.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After prequels Temuera Morrison replaced original Fett's voice in TESB.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
After prequels Temuera Morrison replaced original Fett's voice in TESB.

Of course he did. Welcome to 1984.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for the final ultimate version of the cantina scene: Greedo shot first with a stun blast that bounced from the wall and hit him but no harm is done. Everybody cheers.
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Waiting for the final ultimate version of the cantina scene: Greedo shot first with a stun blast that bounced from the wall and hit him but no harm is done. Everybody cheers.

The final super-ultimate version is when all the Stormtrooper shots that missed throughout the films are displaced through time and space to all hit Greedo at once instead.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DVD's and Blu-Ray questions Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Am I crazy or did they re-dub Boba Fett's lines in the ESB Blu-Ray to give him a new accent? I'm getting tired of this 1984 Orwellian handling of the franchise.

Were the 1997 theatrical releases ever made on DVD? I don't mind a lot of the changes, but I will not abide Hayden Christiansen and "Weesa free!" being added to ROTJ.

Oh, come on, TS. Let's not get overdramatic. The redubbing of Boba Fett's lines is not because of 'Big Brother'. When TESB was made, the prequels did not exist (and Boba Fett's father did not exist). They got a guy to be Boba Fett's voice and record the audio dialogue. Done. It was good enough for that movie. In TESB or RotJ (in which Fett was speechless other than explanations of pain), we never saw what Boba Fett looked like under the helmet.

Then many years later, a prequel was made and Boba Fett was shown as a child. He was said to be an unaltered clone of his "father". An adult actor was cast to play Jango Fett, the genetic host of his son and the clone army. Boba Fett, being an unaltered clone, should grow up to look and sound like the man he was made from. So Boba Fett's four lines were rerecorded by the same actor who played Jango Fett, the man Boba Fett was cloned from.

To keep the original voice, they would have had to get the original actor of Boba Fett's voice to overdub all of Jango Fett's dialogue in AotC, which would have been weird and unnatural for the scenes where Jando was un-helmeted. Also, the original voice actor for Boba Fett's voice may still not have had the same voice all those years later. And the original Fett voice actor stopped working in the early 90s.

But even if you completely ignore the continuity of the prequels, the changed voice for Boba Fett has absolutely no impact on the characterization of Boba Fett in the classic trilogy. So what if it has a different accent now? A lot of characters in Star War have accents. Nien Nunb has an African accent. In TESB we are literally talking:

"As you wish."
    "What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me."
    "He's no good to me dead."
    "Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold."

That's it. It means something to full saga fans and shouldn't mean anything to classic-only fans. There is no harm done by this change. Being so upset by this inconsequential change must mean you just hate change in general. And on top of that, over a character whose ultimate purpose in the classic trilogy is slapstick comedy.

"Orwellian handling" is a very severe accusation. There was no attempt made to hid the fact that the change had been made. There is no one saying the new voice was always there. There are four lines!

List of changes in Star Wars re-releases

See the above. TESB is the least altered of the three films so you should like this blu-ray the best of the three classic films. They replaced the original female physical actor+male voice actor+chimp eyes of the original Emperor hologram with Ian McDiarmid, the actor who played Palpatine in RotJ and the prequels (and TRoS). It is SOOO much better. The dialogue is slightly changed to reflect he fact that Vader is just getting confirmation from the Emperor that the rebel who destroyed the Death Star is really is his son, and Vader rightfully asks "How is that possible?" Palpatine deflects the question and the original dialogue plays out. The minor dialogue change is again, inconsequential to classic-only fans but makes it make more sense with respect to the prequels (where we see that Vader and Palpatine were lead to falsely believe that Padme's child had died with her).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

The final super-ultimate version is when all the Stormtrooper shots that missed throughout the films are displaced through time and space to all hit Greedo at once instead.

Either that, or this...

cheshire wrote:
2027 Version: "I've been waiting for this for a long time." *Greedo shoots himself in the head.*

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he wouldn't have his dad's accent, which is why I noticed it. Besides his voice is distorted in the helmet. It's just a weird thing to do.

It's not that the changes per se are Orwellian, it's the refusal to make normal ones available. Like seriously, no more Lapti Nek? What's that about?
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguably the clones wouldn't have had Jango's accent either. It really never bothered me, though it was jarring the first time I heard it.

I went to the Royal Albert Hall in London last year to watch a screening of ESB whilst a live orchestra played the score. As you might imagine, it was great, but the best thing about it for me was that I was able to point out to my other half the bit in the carbon freezing chamber when you see Luke's head pop back up in to frame after he jumps down after Vader. I swear that I've heard a trampoline noise in there too, but that might be my imagination.

I've never checked if that is still in the blu-ray version.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
I went to the Royal Albert Hall in London last year to watch a screening of ESB whilst a live orchestra played the score. As you might imagine, it was great... I've never checked if that is still in the blu-ray version.

Very cool. When I saw ANH with the live orchestra scoring, it was the blu-ray version of the film. I would love to see the other Star Wars movies scored live but as far as I know they haven't come to Columbus yet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
But he wouldn't have his dad's accent, which is why I noticed it. Besides his voice is distorted in the helmet. It's just a weird thing to do.
Urban Spaceman wrote:
Arguably the clones wouldn't have had Jango's accent either. It really never bothered me, though it was jarring the first time I heard it.

I'll argue with that. In AotC, the Fetts have a similar accent, probably the best the kid could do to emulate his "dad". The first ten years of life is when the human brain is most geared towards language development. Jango was also involved in the training of the clones, for their first 10 years of the first year of clones. In fact, he and Boba were the only humans in the lives of the clones in that time. The first few years of clones start talking like the Fetts and then it snowballs from there and the younger clones talk like the older ones, so you have a clone community and Jango Fett's accent turns into a bonafide "clone accent". Clones are probably more impressionable growing up than normal humans because they have to learn everything in half the time.

And let me share my own personal accent history to further illustrate this. I have lived in central, far northwestern, and far southeastern Ohio in my life, and they each have three discernible accents. Most of life, I have lived in central Ohio which is the general midwest accent that has become the Hollywood general American accent, so it is what movies and TV have defined as the "neutral" accent. In my late teens and early 20s I lived in southeastern Ohio (literally right across the river from West Virginia) which has a strong Appalachian influence on the language. I picked up a lot of the accent (and some of the dialect) while I lived there, but all traces of it were completely gone by my late 20s. I was born in northwestern Ohio and lived there for my first 5 years of life (nearly bordering on Michigan). Sometimes today I still slip into my "Michigan accent" for certain words. I don't notice it but my wife does and she makes fun of me when I say stuff like "albow" instead of elbow. I have no family there and I haven't even been there in over 40 years, but that is where I learned English and learned to talk.

So I don't at all get the idea that Boba Fett could spend the first 10 years of his life with Jango and thousands of clone brothers who all speak with the same accent, but couldn't still have his dad's accent 25 years later. Also, in the Star Wars galaxy, multilingual conversations are quite normal - People tend to understand multiple languages but still only speak their primary to each other, so it is probably a lot less likely for anyone to ever lose the initial accent they learn for their primary language.

TauntaunScout wrote:
It's not that the changes per se are Orwellian, it's the refusal to make normal ones available. Like seriously, no more Lapti Nek? What's that about?

https://youtu.be/k1sF9veTzuU

Lapti Nek never went anywhere, buddy. Hey I do understand wanting the original versions, which haven't even been released on DVD in over a decade. and I want them available too. It is absolutely outrageous that they aren't available. Boba Fett's voice or accent for his four lines isn't really the issue here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lapti Nek's not officially available anywhere that I can find. And it's not in the movie anymore.

Sound is probably the most important sense for memory to me, even more than smell. So yeah, even changing those four lines is jarring when I watch it.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Sound is probably the most important sense for memory to me, even more than smell. So yeah, even changing those four lines is jarring when I watch it.

Memory, which means nostalgia. I get it. Nostalgia is a big part of your Star Wars movie fandom. So much so, that any change from your memories of the sound is a disconnect.

You are a prime example of your typical fan that started rejecting Star Wars in 97 when the Special Editions changed things from the nostalgic memories. Change is bad.

For my nostalgia, a specific subset of sound is really important: the musical scoring. I can listen to the Battle of Yavin music without watching the movie and it can still take me back to that exciting time in my childhood when I was a disembodied spirit in Luke's X-wing for his trench run.

TauntaunScout wrote:
Lapti Nek's not officially available anywhere that I can find. And it's not in the movie anymore.

I have the original versions of the movies on DVD with Grandpa Anakin and everything, but I know not everyone has it. I do like "Lapti Nek" better than "Jedi Rocks". I do still really enjoy original ending with "Ewok Celebration" but I do feel that the "Victory Celebration" is a more mature and dramatic ending music for the saga.

Since I shared the YouTube link and you still replied that Lapti Nek is not available anywhere, you must mean that it is not available to own. Good news: It is. "Lapti Nek" and "Ewok Celebration" are available on mp3s to purchase legally from Amazon at the link below for $1.29 each. That is a remaster of the original RotJ soundtrack. You can also click on the CD button and buy a brand new physical CD of it for only $10.47. It has some of my favorite SW music on it like "Into the Trap", and "The Return of the Jedi" (sail barge assault). This is a reproduction of the original 1983 CD. No Special Edition music!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNBSQSW/
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked the 1997 theatrical editions. Although, partly because I didn't notice Greedo shooting the first time I saw it. I just don't support the
1) not making older versions available
2) constant post-1997 retweaking. Is the actual 1997, pre-prequel, version even out on DVD anywhere?
3) NOT MAKING OLDER VERSIONS AVAILABLE

I have the DVD single packs of the 77/80/83 version that came packaged with a post-prequel re-do. But they have huge issues with modern tv's, it cuts them down on all 4 sides to a tiny image. If you zoom in, it cuts off enough to get rid of Jabba/Greedo captions. Evil or Very Mad

I probably wouldn't care if they kept messing with it if they weren't in denial about the original creation. I only got the blu-ray of Empire to get the highest possible resolution for the big screen. It's possible the new voice is also on my DVD but I don't watch that disk often enough to know.

With Empire all they really added was a wampa feeding, and vader striding onto an ROTJ shuttle, no big deal. But the voice thing threw me because I hadn't known about it until the other day.

Jedi Rocks is a great example of abusive levels of CGI. I like it but not as much as the original version of that scene. It seems like George Lucas is impossible to please, his creations will ALWAYS be a "woulda coulda shoulda" situation in his eyes. That scene was supposedly about going back and executing his vision for the cantina if he hadn't been constrained by unforseen problems and general newness in what he was trying to do. But then computers come along and his new execution suddenly isn't good enough for him anymore.

I would also maybe feel differently about retconning the originals "for continuity" if it wasn't about the only d**n time anyone in power seems to care at all about continuity.

The other weird thing about Jedi Rocks, or mini-Jabba, is it seems like Luca was trying to wow us with what he could do now, but it was a few years too late. We'd all seen Jurassic Park by then, and knew that computers could do anything.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they have not released the original classic films since the DVD set you have (I have that set too). Yes, that is when Boba Fett's lines were rerecorded by the Jango Fett actor.

I haven't watched the original version of ANH since the 40th anniversary of SW on 5/25/17. (That was my son and wife's first time ever watching the original version, and my second time since 1996.) I don't remember the formatting issues you described but I have experienced similar things on another old DVD or two.

I have never watched my DVD copies of the original versions of TESB and RotJ. I have not seen those versions of the films since 1996. But just last night I watched YouTube video clips of "Lapti Nek" and "Ewok Celebration" from the original RotJ, which I'm sure I have a handful of times over the years.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: