The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Last Jedi SPOILER POLICY!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> The Last Jedi SPOILER POLICY! Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: The Last Jedi SPOILER POLICY! Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
On posting spoilers...

Hi, everyone. Just as a reminder of how to hide spoiler info on our board, since we have a new movie coming out. Especially with so many sold out theaters on the opening weekend, and we may not all be seeing the movie in the same time frame, it's important to be respectful with spoilers.

When posting spoilers, please announce that portions of your post contains spoilers, and hide the spoiled material by changing your font color. At the top right of your screen you can change "Font colour:" from Default to "White" (second from the bottom). This won't render your text completely invisible, but it will render it hard to read, forcing another user to highlight it to make it legible.

Example:
Major plot spoiler:
Bruce Willis is actually a Force Spirit all along. Rosebud was his swoop bike. Darth Snape kills Dumbledore!

Just be careful when quoting spoiled material.

The red carpet world premiere of The Last Jedi was this weekend, and the movie opens in various countries around the world starting on the 13th, so it's time for the spoiler policy again.

On Thursday I'll post a single clearly-labeled "Spoilers Allowed" thread (in the General Star Wars forum) which is open discussion, no spoiler tagging required. Let's please limit this "no restrictions" discussion to this one thread at first. Please avoid this thread before you see the movie!

Any other threads where spoilers may come up, please use the "white text color" spoiler tagging method Cheshire detailed above. And please be tactical about using spoiler tagging. If the mere presence of spoiler tagging would hint to revelation in the film, please discuss it in the Spoilers Allowed thread.

Let's please maintain these spoilers standards until January 1st when we can then resume business as usual and not worry about spoilers anywhere. If you haven't see the movie by January 1st, please be warned.

Thank you.

EDIT: Extended spoiler policy through end of the year.
EDIT: Added text about being careful when using spoiler tagging to not hint to revelations in the film.
EDIT: Spoiler restrictions lifted January 1st, 2018.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu May 10, 2018 10:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILER>. THERE's stuff blowing up! Laughing Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
SPOILER>. THERE's stuff blowing up! Laughing Laughing

No! I thought this one was a romantic comedy! I've been shipping on Ren-Rey! You ruined it!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muahahhahaha..

Other than ATOC, its never really been a romantic series, let alone comedy..
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Last Jedi SPOILER POLICY! Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Let's please maintain these spoilers standards until December 29th when we can then resume business as usual and not worry about spoilers anywhere. If you haven't see the movie by December 29th, please be warned.

Forgive my asking, but, only two weeks? Is that always the way? And those two weeks are particularly hectic weeks. I sort of assume most people will watch it over Winter Break. I guess my question is, would it really be that hard for people to be spoiler-sensitive for a month (post in the appropriate thread, or use the spoiler tag)? Just thought I’d bring it up.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Last Jedi SPOILER POLICY! Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Forgive my asking, but, only two weeks? Is that always the way? And those two weeks are particularly hectic weeks. I sort of assume most people will watch it over Winter Break. I guess my question is, would it really be that hard for people to be spoiler-sensitive for a month (post in the appropriate thread, or use the spoiler tag)? Just thought I’d bring it up.

No harm in bringing it up and thanks for asking. The past two years I set the end date to about January 1st, so this is only a few days less. Nearly everyone (if not everyone) that used the forums in that time had seen the movie in the first two weeks. The reasoning behind this is that those that can't see the movie during the first two weeks don't have to start their exile from this site until two weeks after the film opens as opposed to no spoiler considerations which would mean they stay away from here until they see it (if they care about spoilers). I'm not sure what demographic you are referring to by "Winter Break". High school and college students and teachers? Factory workers off for a winter shut down? Most everyone who I know with any kind of "winter break" has to go back to school or work on January 2nd. If they see it before January 2nd, then they have only had to stay away from here a few days.

Is being away from the Rancor Pit for a few days that much of an inconvenience? I can't imagine anyone feeling they need to be here that bad unless they are a huge Star Wars fan, and if they are that big of a Star Wars fan then they are probably going to see the movie in the first two weeks of its release. There seems to be a direct correlation between how long users wait to see the film and how long they can go without this site. So the users that this spoiler policy wouldn't be long enough for would probably not care about being away from this site for a little while, and if they are really in no rush to see the movie then they probably don't even care about spoilers that much.

We live in the information age and anyone who uses this site has general internet access. And even without internet, most Star Wars fans come into live contact with other fans through work and friends. I think the odds of successfully avoiding spoilers increase exponentially per day of the film being released, so it would be nearly impossible to remain unspoiled after two weeks anyway. If someone cares about spoilers they really need to find a way to just see the movie by the third weekend of its release. If they can't, I do feel sorry for them but it probably won't be the end of the world for them to avoid this site after December 28th until they are able to see the film. And odds are they will already be spoiled on the film outside of the Rancor Pit.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Muahahhahaha..

Other than ATOC, its never really been a romantic series, let alone comedy..

"I know."
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may see the film int he first two weeks, but likely it'll be around 4-6 weeks after release. That time of year is just too hectic for my family for my wife and I to get away to the movies. Plus, finding a sitter over the holidays can be tricky.

That said, I recognize that my situation is different from a lot of posters here, so I'm not really sweating it, and it's also not that hard to avoid threads with likely spoilers. As long as folks keep the spoiler text going for a little while, I figure I'll be fine.

I mean, to be fair, this is a board where the whole point is Star Wars. It's fair to assume anyone here is gonna see the film at least while it's in the theaters, and probably within the first month of release. So, I think the two week window is workable, and people can always just choose to personally censor themselves thereafter, until they feel it's appropriate.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
I may see the film int he first two weeks, but likely it'll be around 4-6 weeks after release. That time of year is just too hectic for my family for my wife and I to get away to the movies. Plus, finding a sitter over the holidays can be tricky.

I can truly appreciate that. I really despise Star Wars being released in December. My wife and I have big families and we end up having 6-7 Christmases in a two week period. We have church activities, shopping, and it is just so busy. I'm surprised that Solo is still on target for May 2018 (but I'm still half-expecting for them to announce the delay). If Solo stays in May then next December will be a relief, but then we still have Episode IX in December 2019. Star Wars needs to go back to May permanently, especially if we are having one every year.

Solo4114 wrote:
I recognize that my situation is different from a lot of posters here, so I'm not really sweating it, and it's also not that hard to avoid threads with likely spoilers. As long as folks keep the spoiler text going for a little while, I figure I'll be fine.

I mean, to be fair, this is a board where the whole point is Star Wars. It's fair to assume anyone here is gonna see the film at least while it's in the theaters, and probably within the first month of release. So, I think the two week window is workable, and people can always just choose to personally censor themselves thereafter, until they feel it's appropriate.

This was my thinking. Most spoilers will not be too hard to avoid here - There is a much greater danger of being spoiled outside of this site.

However after further consideration, I have extended the spoiler policy through the end of the year so now we will not officially return to business as usual until January 1st. All the theaters I know are open New Year's Day, so if any users haven't seen the film before then I hope they can try to squeeze it in on the holiday.

Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I see the spoiler policy as icing on the cake. I first saw Rogue 1, like, in October of this year (or thereabouts). I was way spoiled going in, but just considered it the tradeoff for interacting with fellow SW nerds in the meantime. I may see the movie in the first two weeks....or I may wait for its release on Netflix like I did with R1. Either way, I dont expect the Pit to have to wait for me to see it.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all other films i see, i will catch it the tuesday after it releases for 5 dollar tuesdays! yes i am a cheap scate!!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the advantages to being stuck at home is being able to pick and choose my movie times. I'm going to the Early Bird 3D showing at 10:30am on Friday.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Like all other films i see, i will catch it the tuesday after it releases for 5 dollar tuesdays! yes i am a cheap scate!!

My local Marcus up in Worthington has the $5 Tuesdays too. During the day would be fine if I was off work but Tuesday nights suck. It is jam packed worse than Friday nights. Takes forever to get my blue raspberry icee and just so crowded in the whole place.

CRMcNeill wrote:
One of the advantages to being stuck at home is being able to pick and choose my movie times. I'm going to the Early Bird 3D showing at 10:30am on Friday.

10:30am is what a couple friends and I did for all three prequels.

My other friends told me I needed to do the midnight show but back then there were no assigned seat theaters so an advanced sale ticket just got you in the door and you had to wait in line for several hours to get decent seats and then not start watching the movie until after midnight. I was told I was missing the experience of hanging out with die hard fans in full cosplay. I don't start watching movies at midnight and I'm not a fan of waiting in line for hours, no matter if I can talk to nerds in a Jedi costumes. So I had to pass on that all that midnight BS.

The next morning at 10:30am, they weren't even sold out or that crowded. Good seats and no lines. I didn't get spoiled on anything from midnight fans because they were all still in bed so weren't going back to see them again that soon. I didn't have a smart phone back then, and I didn't even have a home computer until the summer AotC was in the theater.

But now that I can reserve specific seats online in advance and the midnight shows have been pushed to 7:00pm, I don't have to wait until the next morning. I also see some other movies at the Thursday 7:00pm premiers. This Star Wars is more special because it is the first premier night with my son and brother who's coming into town for it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I camped out for TPM, but the novelty of being one of the first 300 people in Redding, CA, to see the new Star Wars film has kinda worn off. I'd rather outsmart the rush than beat it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: