The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

8k,19k Super star destroyer discrepancy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> 8k,19k Super star destroyer discrepancy? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I do like the idea of a 5 km-ish craft meant to command 3-7 other capital ships, perhaps including one Nebulon-B, 3 ISD's, and an interdictor cruiser as the standard config.

And art exists for something similar that was never used? Even better!

Any ship designers paying attention?

Strident-class Star Defender 6,250m or 6.25 km
Mon Calamari Super Star Cruiser 7,500m or 7.5 km
Trade Federation Battleship 3,170m or 3.170 km
Inexpungable-class tactical command ship 3,100m or 3.1 km
Invincible-class Dreadnaught Cruiser 2,011m or 2.011 km

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Capital_Ships
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I vote we let garhkal have a 30-foot Executor if he likes. He has stuck to his guns now so long on this that I don't see his mind changing.

Y'all talk command decks. I'm thinking the horrors of the crew quarters.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Error wrote:
I vote we let garhkal have a 30-foot Executor if he likes. He has stuck to his guns now so long on this that I don't see his mind changing.

Y'all talk command decks. I'm thinking the horrors of the crew quarters.

The crew quarters? What about the refreshers? There are few things more horrifying than the idea of having to share a refresher with an entire legion of stormtroopers all needing to go to the bathroom at once. Shocked

As for gharkhal not wanting to believe that the Executor is 11+ times longer than an ISD, all he has to do is look at this picture:

That's straight out of RotJ, when the Tydirium with Luke and co. are trying to get past the shield. With those two ISDs right next to the Executor, one just before the Super Star Destroyer and another just beyond it, it's plain for everyone to see that the Executor dwarfs the ISDs. The Executor is way bigger than just 5 times the length of an ISD.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Error wrote:
I do like the idea of a 5 km-ish craft meant to command 3-7 other capital ships, perhaps including one Nebulon-B, 3 ISD's, and an interdictor cruiser as the standard config.

And art exists for something similar that was never used? Even better!

Any ship designers paying attention?

Strident-class Star Defender 6,250m or 6.25 km
Mon Calamari Super Star Cruiser 7,500m or 7.5 km
Trade Federation Battleship 3,170m or 3.170 km
Inexpungable-class tactical command ship 3,100m or 3.1 km
Invincible-class Dreadnaught Cruiser 2,011m or 2.011 km

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Capital_Ships

Yes, but can you say any of those carry on the "Star Destroyer" lineage? I imagine a craft of small Imperial sector fleets which is posed between the 1.6 km ISD and the Executor-class ships. "Between" in every sense: size (5-8 km), appearance (the deep-set arrow of all Imperial star destroyers), capability, armament, crew, complement (fighters and other craft), function, frequency, and naval order. They would tend command duties of up to 15 other craft; early in their existence I see them accompanied by Venator and Dreadnaught class ships. I see them as existing 12-2 BBY when they are scrapped and recycled to construct the more modern and more statement-making Executor-class craft.

I am adding them as Blackguard-class craft in my roleplaying SWU.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ansel Hsiao's Bellator-Class Star Dreadnought has been stated to be 8km in length. I suggest using the Executor's WEG stats for the Bellator, then using the Shipyard's above linked stats for the 19km long Executor.

Here's a link to a Bellator in profile with an Imperial.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Ansel Hsiao's Bellator-Class Star Dreadnought has been stated to be 8km in length. I suggest using the Executor's WEG stats for the Bellator, then using the Shipyard's above linked stats for the 19km long Executor.

Here's a link to a Bellator in profile with an Imperial.

Or just use the Super-class stats from the Shipyard for the Bellator as those should be the same stats as the WEG Executor stats, as well as get the 19km Executor stats from the Shipyard. More efficient to get the two different stats from the same place. 8)
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Yes, but can you say any of those carry on the "Star Destroyer" lineage?

Yes I can, because the pictures of the ships can be found with the ship stats at the link I provided you.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And as of 12 years ago someone decided to change it cause of what HE thought it should be...
garhkal wrote:
Maybe I don't believe that for 12+ years we had a mistake.. And the NEW figure is that is the mistake.

Error wrote:
I vote we let garhkal have a 30-foot Executor if he likes.

Like I said on Page 1 of this thread, of course he can have his Executor be whatever length he wants in his universe. No one here was suggesting he couldn't. There is a difference between saying he is choosing 8 km for his own SWU because he likes the existing star destroyer stats as is, and saying the guy who first challenged the 8 km length based on empirical evidence made the mistake so we are all wrong for going with the evidence.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
There is a difference between saying [garkhal] is choosing 8 km for his own SWU because he likes the existing star destroyer stats as is, and saying the guy who first challenged the 8 km length based on empirical evidence made the mistake so we are all wrong for going with the evidence.

This. One thousand times, this. Whenever a guy tries to tell you that you're wrong to go with the evidence, you know he either doesn't know what he's talking about or he's being deliberately dishonest and trying to BS you. As a lawyer and a politics junkie, I've seen this sort of thing often enough.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

garhkal, do you own TESB and RotJ movies in any form? Have you watched them at all in the past 30 years?

Since they are still on VHS, i would say its been almost 9 years since i watched them. And even in the ESB scenes, i could see a 6-7x disparrity in size. Which to MY perception is closer to the WEG extablished 8k, than the 19.2k.

Quote:
That's straight out of RotJ, when the Tydirium with Luke and co. are trying to get past the shield. With those two ISDs right next to the Executor, one just before the Super Star Destroyer and another just beyond it, it's plain for everyone to see that the Executor dwarfs the ISDs. The Executor is way bigger than just 5 times the length of an ISD.

Using my thumb which covers that rear most ISD, i can then put the thumb just under 7 full times over the SSD.. For the isd in the gap between the 2 down wings on the Tyderium, its just over 8.5 times.
BOTH seem closer to the extablished Weg stat's length, than the 19.2k of the latter 'eratta'..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Or just use the Super-class stats from the Shipyard for the Bellator as those should be the same stats as the WEG Executor stats, as well as get the 19km Executor stats from the Shipyard. More efficient to get the two different stats from the same place. 8)

The Shipyard's Super-Class stats are essentially identical to the WEG stats posted for the same ship, so either way.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photographic analysis performed by the guys who consulted on the Incredible Cross-Sections books...

vs. garhkal's thumb.

Sounds legit.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

garhkal, do you own TESB and RotJ movies in any form? Have you watched them at all in the past 30 years?

Since they are still on VHS, i would say its been almost 9 years since i watched them. And even in the ESB scenes, i could see a 6-7x disparrity in size. Which to MY perception is closer to the WEG extablished 8k, than the 19.2k.

Quote:

Using my thumb which covers that rear most ISD, i can then put the thumb just under 7 full times over the SSD.. For the isd in the gap between the 2 down wings on the Tyderium, its just over 8.5 times.
BOTH seem closer to the extablished Weg stat's length, than the 19.2k of the latter 'eratta'..

Well, I just put a post-it note on my screen, marked the length of the farther ISD on it and proceeded to measure the length of the Executor that way and came to roughly 11 times the length of the ISD. 1.6km x 9.75 = 15.6 km, which is way closer to 19km than 8km. I think you forgot to take into account that an ISD is 1.6 km (i.e. 1 mile) long, not 1km. And if your thumb measurements led you to believe that the farther ISD is somehow bigger than the closer one in the foreground, then you definitely miscalculated. Razz

Last edited by Sutehp on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp, it's important to understand that garhkal's objective here is less about an unbiased analysis of the facts than it is about stubbornly resisting any and all attempts to deviate from the Gospel according to WEG.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.
— Stuart Chase
Sutehp wrote:
He didn't want to believe. He wanted to know.
— Ann Druyan, speaking of her late husband, astronomer Carl Sagan

You can use you illusion
Let it take you where it may
We live and learn
And then sometimes it's best to walk away
Me I'm just here hangin' on
It's my only place to stay at least
For now anyway
I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away

— W. Axl Rose, 1991
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: