The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rogue One (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Rogue One (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
I am annoyed at them going to a less-convenient source for things like this.

Less convenient source? What do you mean? Is this about availability of the movie for purchase?

I'm heavily invested in Amazon as a platform for movies. Disney has made it less convenient to get digital copies of movies through Amazon... making it harder, for example, to just rent a movie off Amazon and watch it.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
I am annoyed at them going to a less-convenient source for things like this.

Less convenient source? What do you mean? Is this about availability of the movie for purchase?

I'm heavily invested in Amazon as a platform for movies. Disney has made it less convenient to get digital copies of movies through Amazon... making it harder, for example, to just rent a movie off Amazon and watch it.

Ah, yes. I love Amazon and Disney Movies Anywhere is a hassle in general. But I'm old fashioned in that I like to possess a physical copy of my movies so the digital download that comes with them are pure bonus. My son has watched TFA away from home on my laptop or tablet a couple times.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going digital for initial purchases... I'll get the physical copies later, when more movies have come out.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My B&N pre-order of BluRay of Rogue One just arrived in my mail a day early!!!!!

I'm watching the bonus features right now; I'm saving rewatching the actual film for tonight. I'm so stoked!
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I'm going digital for initial purchases... I'll get the physical copies later, when more movies have come out.

The blu-ray comes with a digital copy, so buying a digital copy now and a blu-ray later would be paying for two digital copies. So I prefer to get the physical copy up front.

Sutehp wrote:
My B&N pre-order of BluRay of Rogue One just arrived in my mail a day early!!!!!

I'm watching the bonus features right now; I'm saving rewatching the actual film for tonight. I'm so stoked!

See, I'm paranoid that mail orders will come late so I prefer the old fashion way of going retail. Nice that you got it early, but that's too risky for me.

And in our quest to watch all 8 films in 7 days, we have watched a prequel each of the last three nights anyway.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the plans to the Death Star! Blu-ray and DVD of Rogue One available at retail now!

Here are some posts about the Music of Rogue One.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That scene where Jyn meets Chirrut Imwe for the first time (the blind guy): When she walks away, he says, "The strongest stars have hearts of kyber."

Is he talking about the Death Star?

No. He's talking about Jyn.

The mission to take the plans only happens because of Jyn. She is the "star" (and the star of the film). And, around her neck, she wears the necklace her mom gave her the day Krennic's troops killed her. The kyber crystal rests over her heart.

Awesome.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....when Cassian and Jyn left Jedha in a hurry, Cassian went to lightspeed within the gravity well of the planet.

Well, that's possible with the D6 rules, and Han Solo did it the other way (landed on Starkiller Base, coming out of lightspeed) in The Force Awakens. I'm sure Cassian blew a Force Point to pull that off (plus, with Han, some of that might be chalked up to a technology change almost 40 years later).

But...let's talk about Cassian having K2 change course while in hyperspace. I didn't think that was possible. Or, maybe K2 comes out of lightspeed, recalculates, and jumps to Eadu off screen?

Thoughts?

Plus...I'm a bit rusty on my Star Wars (D6 and the official universe). Has communications in hyperspace always been possible?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Rogue One introduces alot of retcons that contradict or seem to contradict what we know of the SWD6 Universe. Then again, that started with WEG's Early Installment Weirdness of having married Jedi among other stuff that got retconned later in the Prequels...

But yeah, let's look at Rogue One's apparent retcons:

Changing course while in hyperspace transit.

Realtime communication (across multiple sectors, no less!) while in hyperspace transit.

Multiple examples of traveling in hyperspace across the galaxy in (apparently) mere hours: 1) Yavin to Ring of Kafrene (Cassian Andor going from Galactic North to Galactic Southwest; "I got here as fast as I could" indeed);
2) Wobani to Yavin (Jyn being rescued from prison in Mid Rim near Hutt Space to Galactic North);
3) Yavin to Jedha (Jyn, Cassian and K-2SO going from Galactic North to Galactic West Mid Rim Freestanding Subsector);
4) Jedha to Eadu (Galactic West Mid Rim Freestanding Subsector to Galactic East near Hutt Space);
5) Eadu back to Yavin;
6) Yavin to Scarif (Galactic North to Galactic South)
...all in the space of a few days at most. And most of these trips are literally across the width of the galaxy and take place in mere hours. For fuk's sake, when Mon Mothma and the generals at Yavin find out that Rogue One is already at Scarif, they scramble the fleet and it gets across the galaxy (from the Gordian Reach in the Galactic North to Abrion Sector in the Galactic Southeast!) in mere hours while the ground battle is still ongoing.

So it appears we can cross the galaxy in less than a day. Who needs the Millennium Falcon with its fancy schmancy Class 0.5 Hyperdrive now? We're still gonna get from Tatooine to the Core in a reasonable time anyway....

And don't mind my seemingly sarcastic tone. I think these retcons are awesome, even if they might complicate or even apparently contradict D6 rules. Being able to get across the galaxy this quickly can make for some fast-paced adventures if you're racing against time for one reason or another.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
So....when Cassian and Jyn left Jedha in a hurry, Cassian went to lightspeed within the gravity well of the planet.

Well, that's possible with the D6 rules, and Han Solo did it the other way (landed on Starkiller Base, coming out of lightspeed) in The Force Awakens. I'm sure Cassian blew a Force Point to pull that off (plus, with Han, some of that might be chalked up to a technology change almost 40 years later).

Actually, by the rules jumping in a grav well is impossible. Even turning off the hyperdrive safeties is only good for grazing a grav well.. Such as that created by an interdictor.
Hitting the full on grav projection of a planet, INSIDE the planet's projection.. Should have gone splat!

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Plus...I'm a bit rusty on my Star Wars (D6 and the official universe). Has communications in hyperspace always been possible?

Based on the WEG rules set, no its not. However, since the films are canon and outrank the WEG rules set, guess we now need to make rules up to cover that.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, length of time in hyperspace is not dependent on the distance to the destination. Instead, time is dependent on the route taken and obstacles avoided.

Some routes are well known--well mapped--and take not time at all.

As an example, Alderaan to Tatooine may take a base 7 hours, and Tatooine to Dantooine may take a base 20 hours, even though Dantooine is a tenth of the distance, in light years, away from Tatooine when compared to Alderaan. Dantooine is a lot closer, but the hyperspace trip is almost three times as long.

I would expect that some routes even deteriorate over time, because everything normal space moves. And, though space is quite BIG, sometimes things that move get in the way.

I think the D6 Star Wars Astrogation system handles all this beautifully, no matter if we're talking about TFA, RO, or the original trilogy (or even prequels).

Also--we really don't know how long some of the trips take in the movies. They move along at the speed of plot, as we all know, but maybe the movies aren't showing us a day or more in a hyperspace trip. We just cut to the destination.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Actually, by the rules jumping in a grav well is impossible. Even turning off the hyperdrive safeties is only good for grazing a grav well.. Such as that created by an interdictor.
Hitting the full on grav projection of a planet, INSIDE the planet's projection.. Should have gone splat!

Are you sure? (I'm not sure. Wink )

I'm very rusty on the D6 SW rules, and I could easily be missing something. But, I just scanned First Edition and the SW Sourcebook Hyperdrive entry, and I didn't see anything about gravity. Instead, it's all about time taken to make calculations.

I thought I remember a penalty for jumping to hyperspace in a gravity well so that only the most skilled (or those who blew a Force Point on it) could hope to achieve.

I didn't see that either.

Can you point me to where gravity is discussed?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars 2E Rulebook, page 110: "Ships must fly at least 50 units from a planet before jumping into hyperspace.

Star Wars 2R&E Rulebook, page 115: "Five minutes to fly from orbit to a safe hyperspace jump point."

Wanted By Cracken, page 118:
    Range to Center of Gravity Well = Difficulty Modifier to Astrogation
    0-6 = Ship cannot jump to hyperspace
    7-12 = +30 or more to Difficulty
    13-18 = +21-29 to Difficulty
    19-24 = +11-20 to Difficulty
    25-35 = +6-10 to Difficulty
    37-48 = +1-5 to Difficulty

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Star Wars 2E Rulebook, page 110: "Ships must fly at least 50 units from a planet before jumping into hyperspace.

Star Wars 2R&E Rulebook, page 115: "Five minutes to fly from orbit to a safe hyperspace jump point."

Wanted By Cracken, page 118:
    Range to Center of Gravity Well = Difficulty Modifier to Astrogation
    0-6 = Ship cannot jump to hyperspace
    7-12 = +30 or more to Difficulty
    13-18 = +21-29 to Difficulty
    19-24 = +11-20 to Difficulty
    25-35 = +6-10 to Difficulty
    37-48 = +1-5 to Difficulty

Ah...all of which are 2E products. (And, I thought there was a +30 penalty or something like that--a memory from my 2E R&E days...).

But, if you use the First Edition rules, the jump from Jedha we see in Rogue One and the jump into Starkiller Base that Han makes in TFA is legal.

I'd say that GM needs to put a heavy penalty on either move, but if Force Points were used, it's possible using First Edition if the heroes have high enough Astrogation skills.

We know Han's Astrogation skill is 8D a the time of ANH, so 35 years later, he might have a higher skill rating for that move he made on Starkiller base.

As for Cassian, he might have a decent Astrogation skill, too, but maybe he just rolled really high and blew a Force Point to get them all off Jedha.

2nd Edition...

With 2E, we've got the rules cited above. But, the jumps are still possible with the +30 or more penalty.

Using Han's 8D Astrogation, Han has a 38% chance of rolling 30+. If he uses a Force Point or some Character Points, he can increase his odds greatly.

So, again, it's possible if the Force is with you and a character is skilled.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This presumes that Han has done nothing to improve his Astrogation skill level in the intervening 20-odd years between the end of ROTJ and TFA. Considering he has spent most of that time working as a tramp freighter / smuggler, I find that unlikely.

And even if he didn't, he has Force Points to spare, and this would certainly be the time to use them.

And even disregarding all of that, Han is a film character, not a player character, and film characters don't necessarily abide by the same rules as regular PCs.

So, in conclusion, 1) Han Solo can pull this off if the situation is dire enough, and 2) your character isn't Han Solo.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 18 of 30

Jump to: