The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rogue One SPOILER Policy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Rogue One SPOILER Policy!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Rogue One SPOILER Policy! Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
On posting spoilers...

Hi, everyone. Just as a reminder of how to hide spoiler info on our board, since we have a new movie coming out. Especially with so many sold out theaters on the opening weekend, and we may not all be seeing the movie in the same time frame, it's important to be respectful with spoilers.

When posting spoilers, please announce that portions of your post contains spoilers, and hide the spoiled material by changing your font color. At the top right of your screen you can change "Font colour:" from Default to "White" (second from the bottom). This won't render your text completely invisible, but it will render it hard to read, forcing another user to highlight it to make it legible.

Example:
Major plot spoiler:
Bruce Willis is actually a Force Spirit all along. Rosebud was his swoop bike. Darth Snape kills Dumbledore!

Just be careful when quoting spoiled material.

As the world premiere of Rogue One is tonight, I am reminded of spoilers. I think it worked pretty well last year so let's do that again.

On Thursday night I'll post a single clearly-labeled "Spoilers Allowed" thread which is open discussion, no spoiler tagging required. For simplicity's sake let's please limit this "no restrictions" discussion to this one thread at first. Please avoid this thread before you see the movie!

Any other threads where spoilers may come up, please use the "white text color" spoiler tagging method Cheshire detailed above.

Let's please maintain these spoilers standards until January 2nd when we can then resume business as usual and not worry about spoilers. If you can't see the movie by then, please be warned.

Thank you.

EDIT: There are no spoiler policies in effect for Rogue One. It is open discussion now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that means i will be seeing it tuesday!!
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So that means i will be seeing it tuesday!!

Just to make clear, the world premier is the fancy red carpet event. The general US premiere is Thursday night 12/15.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH.. Jumpped the gun there... Confused Sad
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the opening crawl to A NEW HOPE spoil it nearly 40 years ago. Ha!
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
Didn't the opening crawl to A NEW HOPE spoil it nearly 40 years ago. Ha!

Yeah, I personally am not nearly as concerned about spoilers this time.

Last year I went into total media exile the night of the red carpet world premier just in case Billy Dee Williams' son or someone blabbed something picked up by a journalist and blasted all over the internet. I completely avoided the internet, TV, answering my phone, everything from the world premier until after I had seen the film.

I still don't want Rogue One to be spoiled, but this year I'm not going to such extreme lengths to avoid it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rogue One SPOILER Policy! Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
On posting spoilers...

Hi, everyone. Just as a reminder of how to hide spoiler info on our board, since we have a new movie coming out. Especially with so many sold out theaters on the opening weekend, and we may not all be seeing the movie in the same time frame, it's important to be respectful with spoilers.

When posting spoilers, please announce that portions of your post contains spoilers, and hide the spoiled material by changing your font color. At the top right of your screen you can change "Font colour:" from Default to "White" (second from the bottom). This won't render your text completely invisible, but it will render it hard to read, forcing another user to highlight it to make it legible.

Example:
Major plot spoiler:
Bruce Willis is actually a Force Spirit all along. Rosebud was his swoop bike. Darth Snape kills Dumbledore!

Just be careful when quoting spoiled material.

Click here for the one "spoilers allowed" thread. Anywhere else on the forum, please follow the above process for posting spoilers until January 2nd. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rogue One SPOILER Policy! Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Why January 2nd?

Not everyone is as big of a Star Wars nerd as I am so may not see the movie on opening night or even opening week. My city has many theaters with assigned seating, and in those theaters there are no long waits in line before a showing to get good seats. You can purchase specific seats in advance online and you get those exact seats when you show up. Not everyone has those theaters and some people only wants good seats. It is my understanding that many fans don't wish to deal with lines and crowds so hold off on seeing the movie until it dies down a bit. And some of the more small town/rural users of this site may not have have easy access to a movie theater at all so have to arrange to travel to see the film. Also, discount movie passes are usually not permitted to be used at theaters the first two weeks of a new release, so there may be a financial concern for some who need to wait until the third weekend of release to see it.

The reason for having a spoiler observance period at all is to allow forum users (including our substantial lurker population) who care about spoilers to not be removed from their WEG Star Wars RPG fix here before they get a chance to see the movie. The date of January 2nd specifically was chosen as an end date because it gives two and a half weeks to see the movie. It is my understanding that holidays are a popular time to see movies, so January 2nd considers people not seeing the film until New Year's Day.

The Rancor Pit could just have no spoiler observance period and tell people who care about spoilers to avoid the site until seeing the film or proceed at your own risk. Wouldn't that be rather inconsiderate of those not fortunate enough to see the movie sooner? Two and half weeks is really not much to ask for our users to not spoil the film for other users, and we still have a single spoilers allowed thread that is 'proceed at your own risk' in the meantime.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: UPDATE - Spoilers allowed everywhere now Reply with quote

UPDATE: It is now January 2nd or 3rd everywhere in the world, so we can dispense with makeshift "spoiler tagging" on the site now. Please post freely everywhere.

If you haven't seen Rogue One yet, please go see it right now! Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: