The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Psychology of Droids
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> The Psychology of Droids Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman, though I was being facetious (and really, Tom Selleck's mustache is in great shape during that movie, and Gene Simmons is probably doing his best performance as an actor ever), it was more of a comment of the idea of runaways.

Even though the setting doesn't have true sentience (but it does have an artificial intelligence good enough to duplicate the first three levels of droid personalities from Cynnabar), it could still make killer 'bots through the simple application of a generic IC, and the systems were complex enough that through pure happenstance the occasional runaway happened.

Which means that given the complexities of the Star Wars universe's droids, one might posit the idea of droid hunters. One of which is a middle-aged human with an epic mustache and a propensity for wearing "EM-resistant" chain mail.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Seriously, the victors write the history, and the Clone Wars could have been so named to remind everyone that it was the clone army (which became Imperial stormtroopers) that saved the galaxy from the droid (and Jedi) rebellions.

The more you read between the lines and deduce certain things from available facts, the more you realize what a frighteningly brilliant politician Palpatine was. He was very much like Treya, only on the level of mass influence rather than individual manipulation. (Though, it might have been a very good thing that Treya was essentially driven insane by the revelations which converted her to the Sith, I shudder to think what might have happened if she'd taken an interest in politics.)
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Tinman, though I was being facetious (and really, Tom Selleck's mustache is in great shape during that movie, and Gene Simmons is probably doing his best performance as an actor ever), it was more of a comment of the idea of runaways.

Even though the setting doesn't have true sentience (but it does have an artificial intelligence good enough to duplicate the first three levels of droid personalities from Cynnabar), it could still make killer 'bots through the simple application of a generic IC, and the systems were complex enough that through pure happenstance the occasional runaway happened.

Which means that given the complexities of the Star Wars universe's droids, one might posit the idea of droid hunters. One of which is a middle-aged human with an epic mustache and a propensity for wearing "EM-resistant" chain mail.

Oh, I imagine most large planetary enforcement agencies have something like a droids unit, if for no other reason than to enforce the "leash laws" and deal with problems involving droid malfunction or misuse. Investigating situations like that would require a level of technical expertise not common to the average law officer. The latter might fall more under something like an OSHA agency though, particularly when things involve industrial operations.

I would also imagine most well organized customs units have someone trained in droid technology. Determining if a droid is actually shipboard property or something being imported would require more than a cursory examination at times, and I can't imagine most customs officials are so stupid that they don't regularly consider the possibility of things being smuggled inside droids.

In either case, some sorts of droid SkillWare and attachments either require permits or are outright illegal, so it would fall upon someone to be able to examine droids for such things. A customs inspector might get suspicious upon encountering an unfamiliar droid model aboard a ship, or begin asking pointed questions about a known model with standard programming or equipment not ordinarily used aboard trading or transport vessels.

On the other hand, some people do put certain droid models to unusual uses. In one of our smuggler/trader games, a customs inspector got a real laugh out of discovering that the crew was using a half dozen MSE droids to manage and clean up after small livestock we were transporting. (This was not the ordinary use we put them to, but they were herding alien chicken analogues around one of the cargo holds and preventing them from escaping into the rest of the ship, and doing a fine job of it.)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen Name is Tinman, with very insightful perspectives on the thought processes of droids...

Is there something you'd like to share with us?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Screen Name is Tinman, with very insightful perspectives on the thought processes of droids...

This is not the droid you're looking for.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Good insight indeed. I have no doubt that Tinman is fully sentient. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
If I were the GM 100% of the time, droids would be property. Period.

Ditto.

Droids are not alive. They are only programmed to simulate life. They have no psychology. Their artificial construct status is part of what makes them fun.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Naaman wrote:
If I were the GM 100% of the time, droids would be property. Period.

Ditto.

Droids are not alive. They are only programmed to simulate life. They have no psychology. Their artificial construct status is part of what makes them fun.

I find the statement "They have no psychology" to be difficult to support.
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I find the statement "They have no psychology" to be difficult to support.

I'd agree, with qualifications.

Most droids probably don't have much in the way of individually developed personality, because many people do routinely have them memory wiped to keep them from behaving "erratically." They just have whatever personality is installed in them by the manufacturer, which is usually designed around the droid model's purpose and no more elaborate than necessary.

However, it seems droids can develop complex personalities, if they're left running long enough without being memory wiped. RD-D2 displayed all sorts of behavior which I can't imagine Industrial Automaton regarding as useful in an astromech. Those aren't even built with interaction with organics in mind, they don't even come with vocabulators. Regardless, R2 seemed to have developed all sorts personality traits which were almost certainly not part of his base programming. He would become annoyed, sing to himself, could be startled, display happiness and unhappiness at situations, seemed to like playing games, and even seemed to have particular relationships with different people. He'd also ask questions having nothing to do with his designed purpose.

Given all that, I'd say most droids don't have much in the way of developed personality, but it can happen over time. I'd even say that one could develop the equivalent of mental problems if subjected to distressing sorts of stimulus on a constant basis, and sometimes it might really make sense to have one memory wiped. I can imagine a seriously disturbed or unhappy droid even wanting that done to them, in very extreme situations.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:
I can imagine a seriously disturbed or unhappy droid even wanting that done to them, in very extreme situations.

Heck, think of how many times people will say "Man, I wish I could forget that."
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apropos counterpoint.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=4124
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Apropos counterpoint.

What this doesn't address is that it would take a pretty exceptional pair of droids (as in, having massively exceeded the limits of their original programming) to sit around in their spare time discussing the psychology of humans.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Apropos counterpoint.

What this doesn't address is that it would take a pretty exceptional pair of droids (as in, having massively exceeded the limits of their original programming) to sit around in their spare time discussing the psychology of humans.

The same *could* be said of a pair of humans on a planet where most mammals are primitive with very basic survival instincts. A couple of organisms that just take the time to think about things.

As humans, we do all kinds of things that are way, way beyond our original primordial hunter-gatherer evolutionary 'programming.' I believe the cartoon is just showing a role reversal to better see this. I assume in the probable universe that these example droids inhabit, they are likely the norm.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
The same *could* be said of a pair of humans on a planet where most mammals are primitive with very basic survival instincts. A couple of organisms that just take the time to think about things.

Mostly, this sounds like you are making up an unlikely scenario simply to argue the point.

Even then, two humans engaged in this discussion would prompt the simple observation of "those two are smarter than average." The same conversation occurring between, say, a pair of MSE-6 Mouse Droids would be highly out of character, and likely beyond the capabilities of their CPU and programming. Humans are expected to grow and develop; droids pretty much only do so by accident.

Also, unlike droids, no one is deliberately designing, manufacturing and selling moronic humans for the specific purpose of performing simple tasks and menial labor.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: