The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Elrood Sector and the Minos Cluster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Elrood Sector and the Minos Cluster Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: The Elrood Sector and the Minos Cluster Reply with quote

Quote:
1994 Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters (Second Edition) 96-page paperback supplement including Minos Sector sourcefile + campaign

1994 The Star Wars Planets Collection 256-page paperback compiling Planets of the Galaxy volumes, updated to 2e...
Volume 3: classic era profiles of Elrood Sector, 6 major + 10 minor planets

1996 Operation: Elrood 96-page paperback adventure book with three adventures

The Minos and Elrood sectors are adjacent to each other, and for my next campaign (Smugglers to Rebels, +) I've decided to use The Minos Campaign in Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters, plus the Elrood sector section of the Planets Collection and Operation: Elrood as a basis (There will also be a handful of other adventures.). I was counting adventures and thought I would just post it...

The Minos Campaign (from GG6)
    5 campaign adventure outlines
    10 story ideas (one for each of 10 planets)
    2 adventure hooks (in the Black Market chapter)

The Elrood Sector (from Planets of the Galaxy, Volume Three or the Planets Collection)
    17 adventure ideas for the 6 major planets
    4 adventure hooks among the 10 minor planets

Operation: Elrood
    3 related adventures

That's over 40 possible adventures right there before adding my own stuff.

EDIT: The Elrood & Minos Sectors maps with hyperspace travel durations

Thread about maps: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7217
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: The Elrood Sector and the Minos Cluster Reply with quote

I ran the Minos Campaign over 10 years ago and enjoyed it. I haven't used the Elrood material much.

Does anyone have any memories of any of these, and/or suggestions?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Rusharn
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always liked starting in the Minos Cluster and working my players in toward the core. My players have always had fun doing that.
deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always worth checking out The Tales of the Freespirit if you're playing in the Elrood sector

Deano
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deano wrote:
Always worth checking out The Tales of the Freespirit if you're playing in the Elrood sector

Cool resource! Thanks, Deano!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
dpadam
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question.

Because of the detailed materials outlining the sector, I want to run a campaign in Elrood. However, the source material from WEG does not do a very good job of explaining why Elrood would be of any strategic significance to the Rebellion.

I will be running an original trilogy era military style campaign. The books specifically say Elrood is a backwater. But I want to give my campaign some drama. Why are the rebels risking their lives? And how will it contribute to wider war effort?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpadam wrote:
Question.

Because of the detailed materials outlining the sector, I want to run a campaign in Elrood. However, the source material from WEG does not do a very good job of explaining why Elrood would be of any strategic significance to the Rebellion.

I will be running an original trilogy era military style campaign. The books specifically say Elrood is a backwater. But I want to give my campaign some drama. Why are the rebels risking their lives? And how will it contribute to wider war effort?

Any suggestions appreciated.

You're ahead of me in reading all of the Elrood material. Most of the classic era Alliance activity occurs in the Outer Rim where the Empire is not as fortified. It may be that Elrood does not have strategic value as much as it just has opportunities for Alliance success that do not exist everywhere.

But that probably works better for a ragtag special ops group. A military campaign may need more strategic value. If you're determined to have a military campaign, then you may want move your campaign elsewhere, or simply create your own strategic value there.

Perhaps after the Minos Cluster Campaign, the Empire is severely weakened in the area, and the Elrood sector is the next sector up the Rimma (closer to the core). I'm sorry this isn't very helpful.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a long campaign centered on the Elrood Sector. Off the top of my head, here are some of the strategic possibilities for the Alliance.

1. The planet Elrood is a high population (6 billion I think), high tech, industrial planet with with working shipyards that can and does build warships. In particular a locally designed and built corvette sized warship. So stage one the Rebels can try to steal ships from the shipyard. At a later stage if the whole sector can be swayed they could have a source for new ships.

2. The planet Derilyn is another high population (1-2 billion I think), high tech planet. And it has an intact, active local resistance. The Imps obliterated the city of Paran, one of the major cities on Derilyn. So there are a lot of Derilynites with a pretty big hate on for the Imps. Very fertile recruiting ground.

3. Coyn is the gateway to Elrood sector. It is a planet of very tough, warlike, honorable, mercenary aliens (kind of like Star Trek Klingons). They are nominally pro-Imperial though there are anti Imperial and even pro-Rebel factions. If the Rebels could change the view of the High King of Coyn (I think the title is En Tra Sol) or change who was the High King of Coyn one might sway the Coynites to support the Rebellion or at least allow the Rebels to overtly or covertly hire the very skilled, very tough Coynite mercenaries. Getting Coyn onside would allow the Rebels to effectively blockade the gateway system which is the major route into and out of the sector.

4. Torina is a resort area and a location for a lot of spying. It has a secret Rebel intelligence unit. (Maybe even a secret base.) This provides opportunities to gain information.

5. Merisee a high population (1 billion or so I think) agricultural planet with high tech medical technology has a secret society called the Cult of Those Who Redeem who reverence the Jedi as the saviors of their planet from a long ago cult of assassins.

6. The "Roods" or people of the sector, don't particularly like the Imperials. There really aren't any pro-Imperial planets per se though except for the rebels on Derilyn no one in the sector is actively attacking Imps. A post prequel films addition has the sector being under Separatist control during the Clone Wars. Which can support an anit-Imperial POV by many of the locals.

7. The sector has several dense gas clouds and nebulae that contain some hidden planets. Good places for potential rebel bases.

In our campaign we added some other planets and other reasons for Rebels in sector.

Some PCs were responsible for rescuing the children of a couple of big corporations in sector. (From kidnappers in one case and from very bad company in the other.) Once the PCs joined the Rebels this disposed those corps to be pro-Rebel which made some extra resources available to the Rebels. Eventually this allowed the Rebels to set up an X-wing production facility one a planet in one of the dense nebula clouds around the sector. (Our campaign was set pre-ANH and some of the PCs were responsible for getting the X-Wing design team, plans, and protoypes away from Incom. That factory built the X-wings that Biggs, Wedge, and Luke flew at the Battle of Yavin.)

In our campaign we had quite a few Redeemers secretly working in positions of power in the planetary government of Merisee and supportive of the Rebels because the Rebels had a Jedi (redeemed Failed Jedi template) allied with them. Eventually the government secretly provided troops and ships (legally purchased and built on Elrood by the government) to the alliance.

We added a planet in an adjacent sector whose planetary defense force had deserted to the Rebels with some ships and people. This was supplemented by members of the Derilyn defense force who deserted after Paran was destroyed.

We added a group of very sophisticated hackers on Elrood the planet would did a lot of propaganda and information acquisition for the Rebels. The hackers were dissidents opposed to the overly orderly and regimented lifestyle on Elrood the planet. Seemed like a reasonable response for some young folks on a high tech and very orderly planet.

We used the harsh environment planets to set up rebel groups to stretch Imperial resources in the sector. One tropical, type II atmosphere with a native nonhuman species, an ice planet, and we added a desert world called Sidron of near-humans who were religious fanatics and anti-Imperial. The Rebels provided modern weaponry to the low tech natives. This provided a Lawrence of Arabia kind of environment that sucked down Imperial resources weakening their grip on Derilyn and Elrood.

We ended with a big space battle masking an infiltration and takeover of the Derilyn Space Defense platform -- a heavily armed space station over Derilyn. The Rebels also acquired and smuggled some city size shields to protect the cities on Derilyn after the planet rebelled once the space station was in Rebel hands.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I ran a long campaign centered on the Elrood Sector. Off the top of my head, here are some of the strategic possibilities for the Alliance...

Bless you, Bren. Thank you so much for posting this here!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
We ended with a big space battle masking an infiltration and takeover of the Derilyn Space Defense platform -- a heavily armed space station over Derilyn.

And that Derilyn Space Defense platform (official stats copied from Planets of the Galaxy, Volume 3) is a doozy of a space station. The damn thing outguns a Golan III space station (these D6 stats are homeruled, but I extrapolated them from the Golan I in the FFG Book Fly Casual as the stats for the Golan III in the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook are crap).
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really inspirational idea. Thank you.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I'm happy that you guys find the ideas helpful.

Sutehp wrote:
Derilyn Space Defense platform[/url] (official stats copied from Planets of the Galaxy, Volume 3) is a doozy of a space station. The d*mn thing outguns a Golan III space station (these D6 stats are homeruled, but I extrapolated them from the Golan I in the FFG Book Fly Casual as the stats for the Golan III in the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook are crap).
Indeed. That's why (in our campaign) taking the station was critical to liberating Derilyn. Once the Rebels had control they could use the station's weapons to guard the planet.

One other cool thing I used for the battle was this picture from I.J. Thompson's home campaign. I don't know him/her and I haven't checked out his web page, but it looks like it would provide some other nice aids and ideas. (Elrood trivia: the Treespirit is a Ghotroc freighter piloted by Grakkata the Wookiee, an NPC in the Planet's Collection Elrood Sector write up. Presumably the Freespirit is inspired by Grakkata's ship or even a rename of her ship. IIR, I included her ship in the Rebel fleet TO&E for the attack on Derilyn just so the picture was usable for our campaign.)

http://toris.magriller.net/elrood/elrood.html
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Elrood Sector and the Minos Cluster Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lw6dqt0mtcyyq1/theMinosCluster.pdf

Here is a fan-made PDF with a couple related adventures taking place in the Minos Cluster.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Teh'Jar II Reply with quote

I need some help. I'm plotting out The Minos Campaign and want to use all of the planets in GG6, but don't feel particularly beholden to use any of the planets added to the cluster by other sources (none of which give very much information). However I'm working on my map for the Minos Cluster and there is a gap I'd like to put another important system in, so I wanted to consider expanding an EU planet before creating my own.

Teh'Jar II seems the most interesting and comes with an adventure hook that I have ideas for tying into the campaign. The source is the back of Heroes and Rogues (p. 125) in the write up for the sample Xenoarchaeologist, Dr. Angrail Ryhl. Let me just share the paragraph here and then ask my questions...

Quote:
Currently both men are searching for the Um'Tal or "Sky Stone," an ancient artifact of a lost civilization believed to be invested with mystical powers. The search has lead to the planet Teh'Jar II in the Minos Cluster, where the Empire has begun to enforce a high technology ban with armed patrols. But Angrail has hired the best fixer in the sector to solve that minor detail. Now all he has to do it beat Sau to the artifact.

What technologies might be banned by a "high technology ban"? What situations on a planet might the Empire want to enforce a high tech ban with armed patrols? What might a "fixer" do to "solve that minor detail"?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several ways to approach this. One would be to look at what kinds of technology countries ban in the real world and extrapolate from that. The US, for example, has an extensive list of export controlled items covered by several (I think it is 3; Commerce has one list and the DoD has another) different regulatory regimes.

Another might be to think about it from the perspective of the Empire. There I would think that the Empire would like to restrict access of some technology (high tech weapons and ships for example) by Outer Rim worlds (often sympathetic to the Rebels) and non-human worlds. On the other hand the big companies like Kuat and BlasTech may want to sell weapons and other tech to just about anyone. But they might want to restrict technology that would enable competing or rival mega-corporations.

I would think high tech weaponry would be one of the top items to ban. Depending on the local population high tech could mean any sort of blaster or might just cover military grade weapons.

Another choice might be anything that would allow the natives to build a starship or even a space ship. Jerry Pournelle's novel King David's Spaceship uses the need of locals on a planet to obtain the knowledge to build a spaceship.

We also have several mentions of substances liable to abuse being banned or restricted e.g. some forms of spice, salt on Arcona, or Garnib crystals (see Crystal Addiction on page 49 of the Planets Collection.

I could see some bans being a relic of the Old Republic - which I envision as having been more likely to protect some low tech native populations by limiting what tech gets introduced and how quickly. But judging by the planets we see that sort of protection is the exception rather than the rule.

I thought there was a planet in the Planets Collection with a tech ban. I think the ban was to prevent the "natives" from getting high tech weaponry. Yes, the planet is Joralla starting on page 67 of the Planets Collection. It's not exactly a ban per se, but the importation is "strongly discouraged."

Quote:
System Datafile
Joralla system, star: Jaska, red giant. Three planets in
system. Third planet, Joralla, is terrestrial but has been
placed under unofficial quarantine by Imperial Moff Seylas.
Joralla is a dangerous, primitive jungle world with many
predators. A local species, the avian Tikiarri, conduct
some trade with freighter captains, but their savagery
prevents stable trade agreements. The Tikiarri crave high
technology weapons; further introduction to standard
Imperial technology levels is "strongly discouraged" by
the Moff's office.

Quote:
Current Status
Joralla is seen by most nearbysystems, and the
Imperial Moff of the sector, as a nuisance. It offers
virtually no economic benefit and seems to be at
the center of constantcontroversy. Unabletoquarantine
the system without approval from his superiors,
Moff Debin Seylas has acquisced to the demands
of Joralla's neighbors, and has posted a
regular patrol of the system. Ships entering the
system are warned of the potential danger, while
ships exiting the system are often searched to see
if they are transporting any of the bothersome
Tikiarri. Seylas only wants to do the bare minimum
to keep the Imperial governors quiet, without deploying
a significant amount of military personnel
or equipment to this bothersome system.

Not sure how helpful this is Whill. It's a rather scattered response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: