The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

On Alien Species Regeneration and the Force.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> On Alien Species Regeneration and the Force.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: On Alien Species Regeneration and the Force. Reply with quote

Okay so I have noticed that a number of races have Renegeration abilities.

Abysian
Bartokk
Gen'dai
Trandoshans

Just to name the ones I know by heart.

Now I have wanted to create a new force power for a while that grants Regeneration abilities, and allows for lost limbs to be regrown.

I have always seen this as an ability that should be able to be obtained, especially when light side users disdain cybernetics and we have seen sith with regenerating capabilities or worse - like alchemy or life stealing.

And there are force powers that grant many animal like abilities already.

BUT those races above all use different rules!

Atm I have introduced it - and I have it working on the same time table as a Bacta Tank, and allowing limbs to be regrown. But I find this horrible.

Furthermore there is the thought on whether it should require a FP to be spent?

Anyone have links or homebrews of similar powers of their own?

And whats everyones thoughts on such an ability in the star wars universe?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was ok with a force power allowing limb regrowing (via regeneration), it would be needing to run for a lot of time.
Sort of
Control-alter skill
Control roll based on what's getting regenerated. Fingers are easy, hands/feet moderate, arm or leg difficult
Alter roll same.
Time to use - finger/toes are 2 days, hands/feet are 4, while legs or arms are say 8-12 days.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: On Alien Species Regeneration and the Force. Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
And there are force powers that grant many animal like abilities already...

Furthermore there is the thought on whether it should require a FP to be spent?

...And whats everyones thoughts on such an ability in the star wars universe?

It would be an incredible ability so should require a FP.

garhkal wrote:
If i was ok with a force power allowing limb regrowing (via regeneration), it would be needing to run for a lot of time.
Sort of
Control-alter skill
Control roll based on what's getting regenerated. Fingers are easy, hands/feet moderate, arm or leg difficult
Alter roll same.
Time to use - finger/toes are 2 days, hands/feet are 4, while legs or arms are say 8-12 days.

And I agree that it should take a long time.

tetsuoh wrote:
Now I have wanted to create a new force power for a while that grants Regeneration abilities, and allows for lost limbs to be regrown.

I have always seen this as an ability that should be able to be obtained, especially when light side users disdain cybernetics and we have seen sith with regenerating capabilities or worse - like alchemy or life stealing.

I kinda like the idea of it, but it is very unnatural for non-regenerative species to be able to regenerate, even with the aid of the Force. When trying to rationalize it, my mind went to influencing <m-word> to alter genes to create a biological function where one doesn't already exist.. which seems like it could be a Dark Side power.

And IF film canon is important in your game (not saying it should be, just saying IF), then this would not be a power known to the Jedi Order or the Chosen One probably could have grown his arm back in the three years between AotC and RotS.

What would seem much more natural would be an Accelerate Regeneration power for the species that already can regenerate.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - I do not see it as being a power the jedi would readily know, I can even see it being a sith power - after all we have seen sith using regeneration implants in knights of the old republic, and even using life drain powers that heal or empower the sith.

I admit I'm partial to it being grey, but readily unknown to the jedi due to its rather animalistic nature of changing the body.

I do and do not agree with it representing certain m-worded things changing genes, namely because in truth accelerate healing is already close to being seen in my eyes as something akin to non-limb regeneration due to the fact that it can be done once per day and cause extra rolls even if by the rules for natural healing they would not occur for possibly up to a month.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am admittedly mixed on the issue. By what we've seen in the movies, this is not an option. Anakin would have done it. Luke would have done it. As a grey power? Yeah, I could see that. I don't quite see it being a dark side power. Sure, there are instances of Sith having used it, but that, in itself, does not make it a dark side power.

Perhaps a better way to incorporate this would be to have it be something taught among the adherents of one of the alternate Force traditions. Personally, I'd make it the result of a long, arduous, and very drawn-out adventure. I'd also make regenerating a limb take far longer than just a few days. After all, it takes a lot of hours and/or days in bacta to heal severe wounds that aren't amputations; how much more then should it take to actually regenerate an entire limb?

I personally would make this a matter of intense concentration, and something that lasts at least a week, if not a month, perhaps even more. This is something intensely personal, not unlike building a lightsaber. And as such, requires quite a bit of focus, not only on the task at hand, but also in the Force. Regenerating a limb should require at least as much effort as building a lightsaber.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible that the power could be risky to use. You are trying to reshape and replace lost tissue- and bothcing the job could leave the patient worrse off than when you started. And it should be very taxing on the body.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back up as a question. Someone elsewhere (on a SW Legion discord) mentioned he heard that from "the starwars RPG" that Rancors also had regeneration.

Was that in some fan made suppliment for d6, or was it somewhere in the WOTC d20 system?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: