The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Template: Low Tech Explorer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> New Template: Low Tech Explorer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: New Template: Low Tech Explorer Reply with quote

Here my Template for a Explorer form a Civilization that Just as Developed Hyperdrive Technology. Advice is Welcome

Low-Tech Explorer
Character Name:
Type: Low-Tech Explorer
Gender/Species: Near-Human
Weight:
A Quote: "Wow….. Just Wow….."
Physical Description:

Dexterity 2D+1
• Brawling Parry
• Dodge
• Firearms
• Melee Combat
• Melee Parry
• Running

Perception 4D
• Bargain
• Con
• Hide
• Invesitigation
• Persuasion
• Search
• Sneak

Knowledge 3D+2
• Alien Species
• Bureaucracy
• Cultures
• Laanguages
• Planetary Systems
• Survival

Strength 2D
• Brawling
• Climbing/Jumping
• Stamina
• Swimming

Mechanical 3D
• Archaic Starship Piloting
• Astrogation
• Beast Riding
• Communications
• Ground Vehicle Operation
• Hover Vehicle Operation
• Sensors

Technical 3D
• Archaic Starship Repair
• Computer Programming/Repair
• Demolitions
• First Aid
• Ground Vehicle Repair
• Hover Vehicle Repair
• Security

Special Abiliies: None

Move: 10
Force Sensitive?:
Force Points:
Dark Side Points:
Character Points:

Equipment:
• Some Reasonable Survival Gear
• PTP-Link
• Archaic Starship
• Slugthrower Pistol
• Slugthrower Rifle
• Knife
• Sword

Bckground: Your world has just Achieve Hyper Drive Technology, you were inducted into your worlds space program, to find new worlds, and friendly civilizations to come in contact with, and exchange ideas and technologies, you were one of these brave explorers sent out, and you have gone farther out then nearly all the rest, and discovered a galatic spanning civilization.
Personality: You enjoy the challege of exploration, the investigation of a of a new planet,the uncertainly of a first contact, and especially those who share your appreciation for the Unexplored.

Objectives: To to discover as as much as possible and report back to your people.

Connection with Characters:
• You may have encountered a Cynical or laconic scout in the unknown regions. You may of encountered a Tramp Freighter Captain or Smuggler in Wild Space.

Last edited by Panzerjedi on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:14 am; edited 4 times in total
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I showed this to my players they would name probably name him Kirk and straight up play him with Shatner's voice.

I like it. I would argue that the Knowledge attribute should be lower. That represents how much data they have about the galaxy, and this guy should have very little. Streetwise, planetary systems, value, business, law enforcement, all of these would be close to zero if he is new to known space.

What does everyone else think?
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
If I showed this to my players they would name probably name him Kirk and straight up play him with Shatner's voice.

I like it. I would argue that the Knowledge attribute should be lower. That represents how much data they have about the galaxy, and this guy should have very little. Streetwise, planetary systems, value, business, law enforcement, all of these would be close to zero if he is new to known space.

LOL!

unfortunetly that just afects others skills also depending on the char the may know a good deal about their area around there world while little around the other "Known" parts either this can be expressed in diuficulty increases in the "Known" galaxy but full abilities else where... I leave the hows/why to the game master to decide.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: re: Low-Tech Explorer Reply with quote

Panzerjedi wrote:
Here my Template for a Explorer form a Civilization that Just as Developed Hyperdrive Technology. Advice is Welcome

Low-Tech Explorer
Dexterity 2D+1
Knowledge 3D+2
Mechanical 3D
Perception 4D
Strength 2D
Technical 3D
Kytross wrote:
I would argue that the Knowledge attribute should be lower. That represents how much data they have about the galaxy, and this guy should have very little. Streetwise, planetary systems, value, business, law enforcement, all of these would be close to zero if he is new to known space.

Panzerjedi wrote:
unfortunetly that just afects others skills also depending on the char the may know a good deal about their area around there world while little around the other "Known" parts either this can be expressed in diuficulty increases in the "Known" galaxy but full abilities else where... I leave the hows/why to the game master to decide.

I also really like the character concept. Thanks for sharing this!

However I have to agree with Kytross. The Knowledge attribute represents galactic knowledge with the Republic/Empire as a basis, and most of the skills are largely based on experience (Scholar being the most obvious exception, but that is based on academic learning still with the Empire as a basis). Being even somewhat realistic with this issue can unfortunately cause game imbalances regarding characters from outside the Empire. Unless the character is going to play in a campaign that takes place outside the main galaxy, then your increases to difficulties to compensate will be a common and impactful mechanical penalty on the character that other characters won't have.

Being an explorer, if a player wants him to have a good Survival skill, that can still be accomplished by adding 2D to Survival from a low Knowledge. And his high knowledge of the space surrounding can also be represented by Planetary Systems (and maybe Alien Species) Specialization dice for his area of the galaxy. That way he is spending less of his skill dice allocation on his limited area of the galaxy and has more to spend elsewhere, thus being more balanced with the other characters while still having a more realistically low general galactic knowledge.

With Kno 2D being the galactic average, I could still only rationalize this character having a 2D+1 or 2D+2 Kno if the character's background included that he has spent some time traveling the galaxy at large and learning as much as he could out of fascination for this large and ancient galactic civilization he discovered. Maybe his home world is still cut off from the rest of the galaxy and the character is an extended mission to learn about the Empire and someday return to report on his findings.

I also see TEC in a similar way as Knowledge (technological familiarity with the main galactic civilization as a basis). The Tec value is at least comparative to the technological level of the Empire, and this character's planet has just recently developed FTL, something the rest of the galaxy has had for well over a thousand generations. For scaling, 2D is the galactic average for these attributes, so being a PC and an explorer he could have a knack for technology but I still can't see him having even 3D when compared to the rest of the galaxy. You even have "Low Tech" in the name of the template, and 3D is not low so I think a slight reduction is best.

As just one of many GMs out there, if I used this character type in my game (and I might), I would rearrange the attribute dice as follows:

DEX 3D+1
KNO 2D+2
MEC 3D
PER 3D+1
STR 3D
TEC 2D+2

Even though a character from outside the main area of the galaxy could still have a lot of experience with personal interaction (a charismatic leader of a crew if he ever had one, establishing relationships with alien worlds, etc.), I don't see this character type as a "Face" character type so a 4D Perception seems to be a bit overkill. If it is a high physical awareness you think he should have, then put a skill die in Search. I feel he would still be little naive about the galaxy, at least compared to other high Perception PCs.

And with a reduced Kno, Tec and Per, that gives more attribute dice to put elsewhere. There is no reason this character type couldn't be more hardy and agile, and honestly your very low Str and Dex are not going to appeal to too many players anyway.

And Panzer, even though my version of the attribute allocation ends up overall very different from what you posted, please don't feel bad. I also do this to official templates I feel the attribute dice allocation doesn't match the capsule text, and half of the RAW templates I use in my game have tweaks to the attributes (and sometimes also the fluff text).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea. But like Krytross, i would rather some of those skills nto even be there. Since hyperdrives have just been developed, how is it they already have astrogation and Alien species? Planetary systems i MIGHT see as knowledge gained from their Astronomy programs (much like our Hubble telescope) and space probes.

Cultures and Bureaucracy/languages would be mostly limited to their OWN planet at the start. Say have it where to increase THOSE 3 skills, they need to spend double the CP cost. But once they have been off world for 1 yr+, that goes down to normal cost+1.
For Mech, the only issue i see as mentioned, was giving them Astrogation.
Tech, the only thing i could see doing, is adding the skill of armor repair, representing their fixing their spacers suits.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i disagree whill, it reduces things iomportant to a scout like; survival and other skills it does not reflect just galactic knowledge, but knowledge of a variety of types, also this is not meant to be a combat bruiser template..... seen to many of those.... At gharkal you can't really have a hyperdrive tech with out having acces to the astrogation skill...... As well it not to hard to reson hes been out there a good while least a year or so any ways.. and has learned a few things........ Rather then force on a player or gm i let them handle the hows/whys.

As well persception is very mportat to hide, sneak, Investigation, not just social interction, and like i said, seen too many combat bruiser templates made to budge on the strengh and dex, this is not what it is built for, if you want a combative template, look elsewhere.

Note this is slightly based on the curious explorer template but a little more advanced in the home world. not rebutting, and am just explaining my logic. Advice is apreciated Smile
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Survival shouldn't be penalized. You could pull an Ewok and restrict skills they are allowed to choose at first, but that's more of a species thing.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Survival shouldn't be penalized. You could pull an Ewok and restrict skills they are allowed to choose at first, but that's more of a species thing.

i kinda did to an extent with it, i just left to the players/gms how long the character's been in the known galaxy....... if hes been there a while he may know more the some one who just ventured into it....., but i look at it like this later case the gm and assign a higher "dificultiy" untill acclimated or the player takes skills that reflects his concept of the character in the template, her may well know about species/peoples in his "neck of the woods", but not so much about know galaxy till used to it? hence increase dificulties? for a period? so I don't see completely removing alien specis or languages or cultures, but d6 is sorta flexible that way. slightle moe a penalty on the dificulty is that bad.. till used to things. by the way generally by raw you only have seven dice to use for skills so it balaces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: