The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A droid Jedi Master... no not what you may be thinking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> A droid Jedi Master... no not what you may be thinking Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: A droid Jedi Master... no not what you may be thinking Reply with quote

Jedi Master Paraduse

Physical Description: Appears as an unknown model of a repulsor locomotion droid, in a long brown cloak.
Background: Master Paraduse was found wandering the wreckage of a Republic cruiser nearly 2000 years after it crashed.
Personality: Incomplete memories, calm and contemplative demeanor, understands he is a droid, but insists that it is but a vessal for his spirit.
Objectives: Discover his origins, regain his lost memories and return to the Jedi order
A Quote: The Force still guides my fate.
Connection w/ other Characters: Anyone who may have located the crashed ship
Dexterity 4D+2
Lightsaber 5D+2
Dodge 5D
Brawling Perry 5D
Knowledge 3D
Languages 4D
Scholar 4D
Jedi Lore (sp) 5D+1
Mechanical 1D+1
Perception 3D+1
Hide 3D+2
Search 3d+2
Sneak 4D
Strength 4D+1
Brawling 4D+2
Climbing/Jumping 4D+2
Jumping (sp) 5D+2
Technical 1D+1

Move: 10

Special Abilities/Equiped with:
-Reinforced alloy humanoid torso (two arms, head)
-One high-speed visual sensor
-Two audial receivers
-AA-1 Verbo-brain, meshed with a Jedi Holocron
-Armor plating/reinforced alloys: +2D to Strength against physical and energy damage
-.7M Repulsor lift system
-Left Magnetic Hand 15M Range, linked to lightsaber, 20 min recharge.
-Right Repulsor hand, 20 min recharge.
-Lightsaber (5D)
-Class 37D Vocabulator

The pic I based this on can be found here:
http://www.swagonline.net/sites/default/files/images/JawaStu/2008/Jan/DroidJedi_robed.jpg

I'm still not sure if I will provide this as a character template or an NPC template.
Any thoughts?[/img]
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why does this droid think he is a jedi?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually reminds me of a character that I played for a while. The droid was a real roleplaying challenge for me. It was supposed to be an experimental prototype with dual processors and dual memory core. Essentially, it was supposed to be a dynamic learning droid where it's practical skills were stored separately from its personality and direct recall centers. The idea was that you could erase the memory to eliminate quirks without interfering with the droid's performance and improved skillware.

If that sounds horribly complicated, then it was. It was one of the reasons why the droid was scrapped. The dual system did make it so it kept skills, but it quickly became erratic, unpredictable, and not uncommonly madder than a hatter. It's one of the reasons why the project was shelved, forgotten about, and the prototype (my character) picked up by a salvager and sold to a party member.

Essentially, the droid was dead useful in doing what you wanted it to do, but suffered from strange quirks, unusual interpretations of your instructions, etc. In one instance I developed a delusion that I was a Jedi. Why? It had spent too much time adventuring with a Jedi apprentice and got attached to the idea. It got to the point where I'd challenged an actual Jedi to a duel for insulting my honor as a force-user. The party had to switch me off and erase my memory.

I was more or less personality-less for two or three adventures (which was the HARDEST part of playing him), before the new personality emerged. Then it got to be to be obnoxiously or dangerously eccentric, and the party had to erase the memory. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Jedi holocron In his head.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It's a creative idea. I know uncovering the mystery is part of the character arc, but the next question is, How did he get a holocron installed into his head? I'm trying to think of how such a wacky thing would happen...

Maybe a Jedi Master who was particularly skilled at droid and computer programming (and holocron making) was on the ship when it crashed, he was severely wounded and suffering from lethal radiation poisoning, and he installed the holocron into the droid before putting himself into hibernation. The droid could have made it his mission to keep the Jedi alive, but of course that was 2,000 years ago and the Jedi could only last for so long before he died anyway. The droid could have eventually experienced void madness and, possessing some of the Jedi's memories, personality and experience, he began to believe that the spirit of the deceased Jedi had inhabited his body.

I'm coming up blank on how this character could be used as a NPC in a campaign though. I personally don't allow strait droid PCs (only a version of Shards), but I noticed that the attributes of this droid Jedi total 18D so it could be used as a PC in a game whose GM allows droid PCs.

If a PC, then I think the attributes are a too munchkin. He is a mechanical being so if he is a PC, then I feel his Tec and Mec should both be raised to at least 2D. He did have to keep himself functional for 2,000 years and he lived on a big shipwreck all that time, so 2D in those stats are not unwarranted no matter what kind of droid he was before the crash. I also feel his Dex and Str should be lowered to 4D max, which are still very exceptional even if he was a security droid before the crash. Another thing to consider is, he has been cut-off from galactic civilization for 2,000 years so a lot of his knowledge would be out-of-date and Kno 3D could be too high. And any droid having Per 3D+1 seems far-fetched, and he has been alone for 2,000 years so having all his interaction skills at the base of 3D+1 seems high, but then again, maybe there were multiple Jedi personalities programmed into holocron so he interacted with these "other Jedi spirits" all that time.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combined with if he HAS been out of it for so long, where has he gotten the parts and power to keep himself running, when he has NO droid repair skill?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this write-up and the idea behind it. Stats looks excellent. As for using it as a player template I would shy away from this. I would keep it as an NPC. This is a unique "creature" even in the Star Wars universe. Unless you are very confident you can pull this off as a Gmaster and you have some excellent players I would not try it. As an NPC you are sure that information and story will progress at your speed without having to rely on the player. There is also the issue that what you have envisioned and even spoken with the player about the character may develop their own ideas about origin and so on.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I have not even decided on a single backstory.
One possibility is that he was shut down, perhaps never having been activated in the first place.
A second option is to add in a small support crew of droids that were programed to keep him & the distress call functional.

As for the WHY of his creation, I have 3 basic Ideas:
-Built by a Rogue Jedi in an attempt to achieve immortality by transferring his consciousness into the droid.
-Built by a Jedi Blade Master to teach his 8th Lightsaber Form, that would otherwise be lost.
-Built by the ship's droids to replace their deceased Jedi Masters

Because of the experimental nature of his brain construction, he is unable to access most of the data in the holocron without help from a force user.
He is a "Master", that requires an apprentice to unlock what he knows, so he can teach it.

As far as the 1D+1 in Mec & Tec, The basic 3P0 droids, as well as many others have a base of 1D, as did the Lightsaber training droid he was based on. conversely his Knowlage is high to represent the massive amount of Jedi historical data he has access to. A high Perception is more of a holdover from his initial programing as a training opponent for jedi.

In short high Tec & Mec were not required for him to complete his programed objectives
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I really like this write-up and the idea behind it. Stats looks excellent. As for using it as a player template I would shy away from this. I would keep it as an NPC. This is a unique "creature" even in the Star Wars universe. Unless you are very confident you can pull this off as a Gmaster and you have some excellent players I would not try it. As an NPC you are sure that information and story will progress at your speed without having to rely on the player. There is also the issue that what you have envisioned and even spoken with the player about the character may develop their own ideas about origin and so on.

Thus resulting in my indecision on NPC vs PC. I have 3 players who could handle this PC, and 2 are leaning toward other types. Most likely he will end up as an NPC.
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cynanbloodbane wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It's a creative idea. I know uncovering the mystery is part of the character arc, but the next question is, How did he get a holocron installed into his head? I'm trying to think of how such a wacky thing would happen...

I have something of the same going on in my current game...in that case, it just happened to be a Jedi chronicler/historian during the Clone Wars who survived long enough after Order 66 to install his holocron in his R3 unit and send it on its way (in hopes the Force guided the R3 unit to a Force-sensitive) before being found and executed. The R3 unit's personality and the holocron are separate (the droid doesn't think it's a Jedi), though.

It can happen, on the scale of Star Wars whackiness I honestly think it's fairly low. Some Jedi do love their droids, and the Jedi who survived Order 66 or had foresight enough to realize serious problems were on the horizon (assuming a game that takes place in that time period) would certainly try to preserve their traditions by whatever means necessary. Look at Master Huyang from the Clone Wars cartoon, for example -- for its age, programming, and duties, the only thing keeping it from being an actual Jedi was a lack of connection to the Force (i.e. translated into D6, it would certainly have every "mundane" skill associated with Jedi -- lightsaber, saber repair, the associated lores... -- everything but Force skills proper).
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodrim wrote:
Whill wrote:
cynanbloodbane wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I have something of the same going on in my current game...in that case, it just happened to be a Jedi chronicler/historian during the Clone Wars who survived long enough after Order 66 to install his holocron in his R3 unit and send it on its way (in hopes the Force guided the R3 unit to a Force-sensitive) before being found and executed. The R3 unit's personality and the holocron are separate (the droid doesn't think it's a Jedi), though.

It can happen, on the scale of Star Wars whackiness I honestly think it's fairly low. Some Jedi do love their droids, and the Jedi who survived Order 66 or had foresight enough to realize serious problems were on the horizon (assuming a game that takes place in that time period) would certainly try to preserve their traditions by whatever means necessary. Look at Master Huyang from the Clone Wars cartoon, for example -- for its age, programming, and duties, the only thing keeping it from being an actual Jedi was a lack of connection to the Force (i.e. translated into D6, it would certainly have every "mundane" skill associated with Jedi -- lightsaber, saber repair, the associated lores... -- everything but Force skills proper).

Agreed, I have Master Huyang stated out as a possible NPC. I am still working on a few younglings that I may or may not have with him.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I can think of a reason. During the time of the New Sith Wars, a Jedi who was fleeing to join the Zeison Sha managed to hidea particularly valuable Jedi Holocron in a storage compartment in the head of a droid, thinking that the droid might make it past the Sith, even if he didn't (hey it worked in Episode 4).

The droid was given instructions to take the holocron (which probably had information that would be useful in fighting the Sith, maybe a new intretation about the Prophecy about the Chosen One or some such) to some Jedi or ex-Jedi who lived in some remote location.

But while en route the droid got damaged or ionized somehow and the instructions on who the droid was supposed to deliver the Holocron to, or the identity of the sender, or the identity of the Jeid in the Holocron, or a mix of all three, got scrambled with the droid's own ID. Probably during the crash. When the droid rebooted it believed that it was said Jedi.

If Paraduse was a Zeison Sha Jedi, the droid's survival and whole attitude could be explained away as part of the Zeison Sha mindset. And a discblade (perhaps augmented with a repulsorlift) could be a good ranged weapon, and help "justify" to the droid why it isn't quite as good with the lightsaber as other Jedi.

As for how it lasted so long without power, perhaps the droid has been pluged in for a recharge when the ship crashed, and there was enough power in the ship's batteries to keep the droid powered up in hibernate mode all these years. Since it was damaged, it didn't reactivate when it finished recharging, and reactivated when something else triggered it, many years later.

How's that ?
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Hard core OT, all the way!
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The droid could have one of the shard species inside it. The shards are crystalline lifeforms that have a connection to the force. During the old republic one rouge Jedi master trained a bunch of shards as Jedi and they put themselves inside the bodies of droids in order to move and fight. The droids personality and the shards personality would then meld together in a symbiotic relationship. Although the Jedi that trained them lived 30 years or so before the end of the old republic, I think a Jedi could have trained the one in the droid.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been hints in the EU over the years that Holocrons had a degree of Force Sensitivity, in that they could sense a person's degree of training in the Force, and withhold knowledge until the person in question was sufficiently trained or mature to understand what they were being taught. If that were the case, it might be possible to give this droid a few dice in Control and Sense to represent the Holocron's ability to both control itself and read its "students"...

And taken one step further, might Holocrons have a limited degree of sentience, in the form of the gatekeeper personality? If a Shard is a fully sentient in the form of a highly complex energy matrix inside a crystal, isn't it possible for the crystalline matrix inside of a Holocron to have a limited degree of intelligence and self awareness?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: