The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

So I saw the first Episode of Rebels (spoilers)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> So I saw the first Episode of Rebels (spoilers)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: So I saw the first Episode of Rebels (spoilers) Reply with quote

I saw the hour long premier of Rebels. The show seems like it has potential, but it may take a few episodes to get there. They essentially spent the first episode introducing the characters.

Going into spoiler territory and including some details from the Book Rebel Dawn, if you plan on watching the episode yourself and don't want to spoiled you've been warned.

So the series main protagonist is Ezra. He is basically Aladdin but without singing, and with some force abilities. He appears to have taught himself how to force leap, but he can only do it to an extent that is slightly beyond a peak Olympic level athlete.

Kanan is a former Jedi Padawan. In the novel, A New Dawn, it says that Kanan's original name was Caleb Dume. His master was Depa Billaba, who was Mace Windu's former apprentice. Depa and Caleb were attacked by Clone Troopers during Order 66 but Depa was eventually killed by the Clones and Caleb fled. After fleeing from the Empire he took the name Kanan Jarrus and eventually became a freighter pilot, a bounty hunter, and a frontier ranger.

One of curious things about his light saber is the Emitter seems to be a completely separate piece from the rest of the lightsaber. Maybe they went that way because it "looks cool", but it could be that Kaana hadn't completed his lightsaber and that the he's actually using a training emitter. He hasn't actually been shown cutting anything with his lightsaber yet, but he's very good an deflecting blaster fire.

I think it's cool that Kanan and Ezra can trace their training lineage back to Mace Windu.

Also since Kanan's master knew Vapaad, there is a potential for him to use some unrefined form of Vapaad later in the show.

Hera Syndulla is the Twi'lek pilot. She possibly has some kind of romantic going on with Kanaan. She called him "love" casually when no one else is around. She owns the Ghost, which is the modified Corellian freighter they use as their headquarters/home.

Hera Syndulla also shares a surname with Cham Syndulla, who was featured several times in the Clone Wars as Twi'lek resistance fighter on Ryloth. Cham Syndulla is set to appear in the upcoming Star Wars Novel Lords of the Sith. Where apparently he is leading a second Resistance against the Empire on Ryloth.

Something tells me this does not end well for him.

At the time when Hera met Kaanan she was already actively working against the Empire and she eventually convinced Kaanan to join her.

Zeb and Sabine Wren are also introduce, but there are very few details about them. Zeb is the Muscle of the group and Sabine is a Mandalorian Demolitionist/Graffiti artist.

Together they form a group called the Lothal Resistance. The Rebel Alliance doesn't exist yet. They're mostly working on their own, and the implication is that their actions eventually help start the Rebellion.

It's clearly implied that the Storm Troopers are not clones and they may have gone overboard on making the Storm Troopers seem incompetent.

Essentially this is what happens in the episode.

Ezra and the Rebels try to steal from the Empire and Ezra gets in over his head and has to flee with the Rebels.

An ISB Agent named Callus is assigned to Lothal. The ISB has noticed a pattern of repeat incidents on the planet are he believes there is a Rebel Cell operating on the Planet.

The Rebels sell the crates they stole to their contact who is a Criminal who wants to sell the stolen goods on the black market.

Said Criminal tells them where they can track down several wookiees are that they've been trying to rescue.

They go to rescue the wookiees, but it's a trap set by Agent Callus, and Ezra gets captured saving everybody because Zeb leaves him behind.

Turns out Ezra can use the force and he opens a Holocron containing a recording of Obi-Wan Kenobi while he's captured warning Jedi not to return to the Temple.

Ezra manages to break out his holding cell on his own because Stormtroopers are really incompetent in this series. He convinces them to open the door and slips out behind them and locks them in his holding cell.

Ezra gets into an Armory somewhere and steal a helmet and uses it to listen on on Imperial communications while he sneaks around a Star Destroyer undetected and learns that the wookiees are being taken to Kessel to work as slaves in the mines.

The Rebel crew comes back and rescues Ezra from the Star Destroyer and the Rebels escape the Star Destroyer for a second time. Afterwards Ezra tells them where the wookiees are they go to Kessel to rescue the wookiees.

Agent Callus retrieves the helmet that Ezra was wearing and realizes that he was listening on in their communications and he goes Kessel. He arrives ahead of the Rebels is and waiting to spring another trap.

This time when the Rebels arrives Agent Callus shows up with several squads of Storm Troopers and Kanan is forced to put his blaster away and take up his lightsaber to fight them off.

They rescue the wookiees and escape, and Agent Callus survives to fight another day.

After the wookiees are set free, Ezra decides to join the Rebels and learn to use the force from Kanan.

In the closing scene a being known as the Inquisitor and informs him that he had encountered a Rebel Cell that was being led by Jedi and his apprentice.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: So I saw the first Episode of Rebels (spoilers) Reply with quote

strongarm85 wrote:
His master was Depa Billaba, who was Mace Windu's former apprentice. Depa and Caleb were attacked by Clone Troopers during Order 66 but Depa was eventually killed by the Clones and Caleb fled.

Sooooo... there goes Shatterpoint, then. Smile

I enjoyed this, too- there is another thread here, if any admins want to combine them:
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4970

...But so far, it seems like the feedback is pretty positive.

strongarm85 wrote:
It's clearly implied that the Storm Troopers are not clones and they may have gone overboard on making the Storm Troopers seem incompetent.

I approve. And yeah, maybe a little far... but I think it worked in context. YMMV, of course.

Hard core OT, all the way!
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the New Dawn novel pretty much retcons out the Shatterpoint Novel. In the new canon Depa never went insane and she eventually died during Order 66. Her previous relationship with Mace Windu still exists though.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So I saw the first Episode of Rebels (spoilers) Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
there is another thread here, if any admins want to combine them:
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4970

I played around with the Moderator functions and I couldn't find a combine/merge function. Since the other thread was posted first, I just locked this one and have a link over there to here for reference.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: