The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Clone trooper aging issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Clone trooper aging issue. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... whats the GM's take on it? Cant you just decide to plan an operation to break into the Kaminoan base and steal the cure? Or just buy it from them?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willg wrote:
I may have a solution, its extreme, but if the Kaminoan clones prematurley age, and Spaarti ones don't, they just grow quicker, then what if you clone a Clone?
If he gets a Spaarti clone cylinder and transfers his memories into the clone.

Creative. But also costly as heck.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminoan Cloning Tubes: with growth and training it took 10 years to create a Clone Trooper.

Spaarti Cloning Tubes: 1 year to grow and train a Clone Tooper using flash training. Clones could be developed in just a few weeks but they required memory imprints.

These clones were prone to mental instability. The Spaarti clones were not nearly as good at the Kaminoan clones. Spaarti technology clones had underdeveloped combat and marksmanship skills, including a heavily diminished sense of individuality and self-preservation.

Flash Training: is the technique of using holographic flashes to instruct young clones during their growth period. The process enabled a clone to accumulate knowledge, skills, and competencies at an accelerated rate.

Memory Flashes: a variant of flash training, are used for imparting the knowledge and experience of a prime clone into a clone subject. A side effect of the memory imprints, however, was that they could destabilize a clone's mental health. By obtaining the memories of another person's life, the clone could fall into an identity crisis, making the clone unable to distinguish its own experiences from the progenitor's memories. Ultimately, the confusion could drive the clone into a state of insanity.

20 BBY: Emperor Palpatine built a second cloning facility on Coruscant's moon Centax-2 using Spaarti tubes. Giving him the ability to create a Stormtrooper in one year.
19 BBY: Palpatine reveals the existence of his second clone army.
12 BBY: The Clone Rebellion. Probably when the Empire stopped relying on the Kaminoan clones.

In reference to Kaminoan cloning I don't believe the Kaminoan's would have a "cure". The clones were tools and designed to certain specifications. One of those was early maturation. This was not a disease nor was it something they would have felt the need to address.

Your idea of a Clone Trooper as a character can still work and work very well. It just happens to be one of the Spaarti clones and not one of the Kiminoan ones.

If you set upon having a Kiminoan clone the lack of aging doesn't need to be explained away. Its a mystery. One that can be worked out at a later time though either a side adventure, adventure or campaign. It could be something as simple as a 1:100,000,000 chance. That the early maturation would find its normal rhythm after puberty.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Your idea of a Clone Trooper as a character can still work and work very well. It just happens to be one of the Spaarti clones and not one of the Kiminoan ones.

If you set upon having a Kiminoan clone the lack of aging doesn't need to be explained away. Its a mystery. One that can be worked out at a later time though either a side adventure, adventure or campaign. It could be something as simple as a 1:100,000,000 chance. That the early maturation would find its normal rhythm after puberty.

You know, I hate to admit this, but before the start of this thread, I that that was the norm ... That the clones developed quickly, but then once 'mature' slowed to a normal aging process. To me it makes sense. Yeah the clones were cannon fodder, but still an army needs experienced NCOs & Os, what good is it if the experienced leaders all die of old age (well are old and beat up and starting to have health problems so they are combat ineffective) in 10 years ...

Forgive all spelling errors.
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing, I need him active during Order 66.

You are correct , he could just mutate and age normally. Or even just stop. Possibly sone environmental exposure that changes him. An abnormal atmosphere?
Any suggestions?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are both types of clones sound at the time of Order 66, though to be honest that is supposition not backed by facts.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do as the Phase Zero Darktroopers were used, combining prosthetics and a limited powersuit.
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive the Spaarti clones where used from 12 Bby, whilst Order 66 was 19bby.

However I have come up with an external factor that causes a biological change, a unique planetery environment that he is forced to live in for a few months, after initially having to adapt to its atmosphere. Something biochemical or environmental, even radiation or something he ate on this planet, changes him.

Any suggestions, guys?

I was thinking back on how the old Buck Rogers stories, Buck survived a cave in, breathed in radioactive gas which put him into suspended animation till 2414. Obviously its nonsense, but I thought ' environmental factors' .
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, I started a topic on Mind transfer technology on the tech forum, which is the other part of my idea of dealing with the premature aging , by cloning Yargin again and using mind transfer tech to transfer or at least copy Yargins mind into a newborn clone. Or at least copy it.

The real Yargin is then left mindless or awaiting the end with accelerated aging.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to go the Buck Rogers route...maybe he was on a transport that got its drives damaged and he had a bit of medical training and put himself into a medically induced coma with such. Time passes, he drifts through the dark between stars and eventually gets found by a salvage team (the party?). Then he gets to go through some of the fun of catching up/culture shock. Sure its a stretch...but it is Star Wars after all..
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a thought occured to me. An escape pod, in the void, damaged. A lone Clone trooper.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willg wrote:
I belive the Spaarti clones where used from 12 Bby, whilst Order 66 was 19bby.

However I have come up with an external factor that causes a biological change, a unique planetery environment that he is forced to live in for a few months, after initially having to adapt to its atmosphere. Something biochemical or environmental, even radiation or something he ate on this planet, changes him.

Any suggestions, guys?

I was thinking back on how the old Buck Rogers stories, Buck survived a cave in, breathed in radioactive gas which put him into suspended animation till 2414. Obviously its nonsense, but I thought ' environmental factors' .

While stuff like that has happened in novels or films (like the planet in Star trek insurrection), usually the people need to stay by that radiation/environmental factor or suffer remission issues.

willg wrote:
On a related note, I started a topic on Mind transfer technology on the tech forum, which is the other part of my idea of dealing with the premature aging , by cloning Yargin again and using mind transfer tech to transfer or at least copy Yargins mind into a newborn clone. Or at least copy it.

The real Yargin is then left mindless or awaiting the end with accelerated aging.

Sort of like how ADND has Trap the soul, to where evil mages can extend their life by taking over other people's bodies.
iMO that would be very close to the dark side.

Quote:
if you want to go the Buck Rogers route...maybe he was on a transport that got its drives damaged and he had a bit of medical training and put himself into a medically induced coma with such. Time passes, he drifts through the dark between stars and eventually gets found by a salvage team (the party?). Then he gets to go through some of the fun of catching up/culture shock. Sure its a stretch...but it is Star Wars after all..

A coma though wouldn't do anything to stop his body's premature aging.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In between trilogies, the clonetrooper could have been on a ship with a damaged hyperdrive motivator that travelled at relativistic speeds (close to but under the speed of light) for a while. In real life at these velocities, time dilation occurs so that the amount of time passing for the ship is different than the galaxy at rest (and ships moving FTL which don't have this effect). So he could have been stuck on a runaway ship moving just under the speed of light for a few months by his clock, but when the ship finally stops he finds that 18 years (or whatever) has passed for the rest of the galaxy. The clone is still in his physical prime while the other surviving clone war veterans are all physically much older. The clone PC still has the accelerated aging effect, but is much further behind the other clones his age.

Or the ship could have just flown into a wormhole with its other end in the future, thus effectively skipping over a bunch of time between trilogies. Either way, the clone may not even have to get plastic surgery to change his appearance if you go by Lucas' explanation that Kaminoan cloning requires a live template, so that all clones that were created after Jango Fett was killed were based on other, multiple templates, which allows for all stormtroopers to still be clones but not all of the same person which explains why they have various heights and voices in the classic trilogy. The youngest Jango-clones could have began life as much as a year before the Clone Wars began so would still be physically middle aged by the time of ANH. Yes, the clone PC would look like Jango but no one would believe that he was a clone because there wouldn't be any Jango-clones that young by that time.

OR... What's wrong with playing an aging Clone War Veteran who is physically in his late 50s but can still kick some @ss? I think that sounds like a cool PC idea.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going through the Temporal displacement due to faulty hyperdrive, how about being put into an escape pod in hyperspace and coming into realspace years later when only hours have passsed. Perhaps a ship brings it back into realspace in its wake, or whatever the equivalant is.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But hypersspace isnt a "place." Its more or less like getting on the freeway. You still have to maintain speed... the freeway doesnt "teleport" your car to the destination off the exit ramp. Other ships would just zip right by as it lost speed starting immediately since it does not have hyperdrive capability...
But, then again... we are talking Star Wars...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: