The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

'luckily we were wearing our bat thermal underware Robin&
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> 'luckily we were wearing our bat thermal underware Robin&
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: 'luckily we were wearing our bat thermal underware Robin& Reply with quote

A few friends have had in mind what we call a "convenience generator" using the 60s Batman's utility belt as an example. That utility belt had just what Barman needed, when he needed it, even when it was extremely unlikely that forethought as enough to have that item on the belt.

We have a thread going on about what equipment characters have and how detailed that list needs to be. There is a thread here about random generators. Could a specific geenerator with D6% dice work to find a specific item.

D6% roll 2D
11-16%
21-26%
31-36%
41-46%
51-56%
61-66%

Finding the drink you like in a beverage store 21-66%
Finding the one part you need for your hyperdrive in a speeder junk yard 11-14%

While the GM would have to decide on the percentile, this helps to keep the game moving if it didn't interrupt the narrative.

We used this for an Ewok's collection of shiny objects, 11-12% one of the items was a Imperial officer's code cylinder (those thing next to their rank insignia) player rolled snake eyes.

We've had a lot of fun with this, especially during character creation. Odds of a character being very famous, odds of being wealthy.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, twenty four hours and not one replay. Conduit adhesive stripping got more replays then zero the first two hours. Well I guess that can't be all interesting topics. I'm just responding here to get that zero off the board.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of it. ...Sorry, this is not commentary on your mechanic, but it reminds me of Verpine character I played. He had a satchel of with random tools, spare parts, a hold-out blaster and other odds and ends. The GM granted my request to occasionally be able to pull something out of satchel that was previously unknown to exist in there as determined by the GM("Oh yeah, I forgot I had that!") at the cost of the character sometimes meaning to pull one needed item out (like the hold-out blaster) and instead pulling out something else (like quickly pulling out a hydrospanner, pointing it at a bad guy and loudly yelling "Freeze!"), mostly for comedic effect. There were a few funny game session moments from stuff like that. But as far as I know the GM didn't use any kind of random generation for the "forgotten" items being in the satchel. It seemed to just be something he made up on the spot, although it may have been planned ahead when the adventure was designed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I like it, and it sounds like a fun mechanic.

One superhero PC of mine kind of reminds me of your Verpine, Whill. He's a gadgeteer who makes cool little gizmos. It's not random which ones he's got, but he's sort of absent-minded, so each level he increases he has to roll a d20 and compare his Intelligence to each of them to remember how he made them! Like your character, it can provide some comedy at the table.

As for this mechanic, I'm all for random charts, and think they can speed things up and additionally can help the GM when he/she is 'stuck'. Even if they're only used to spark ideas, having a pre-made chart can really help move things along.

Some of the new, narrative style games already have this mechanic baked in. Your PC isn't as defined as the old skool games we all grew up on, so rather than itemize a detailed list of gear, players are allowed to simply say "I reach into my knapsack and pull out a flashlight", provided it makes narrative sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: