The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Your dice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Your dice Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Your dice Reply with quote

There is probably no tool more common to us all than our gaming dice. I was wondering how particular you are about what kind of dice you use at your table. Do any of you just pull out old dice from old board games? Do you have specialty dice? Is there any kind of dice you won't allow at the table?

Personally, I've often used a Gamescience die as a Wild Die. I've been skeptical of the claims made by Lou Zocchi, though hadn't seen any emperical evidence on way or the other. However, it looks like someone did a test using d20s. No telling how it plays out in terms of the d6's though.

http://www.awesomedice.com/blog/353/d20-dice-randomness-test-chessex-vs-gamescience/
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm an "any old dice" kind of guy with my d6s... though I do have a set set aside that are cleaner than the others, without any little cracks or blemishes in the pips.

I bought my dice back in the 90s and have been using the same ones since Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I guess I'm an "any old dice" kind of guy with my d6s... though I do have a set set aside that are cleaner than the others, without any little cracks or blemishes in the pips.

I bought my dice back in the 90s and have been using the same ones since Razz

Same story here. I picked out my dice when I was still in high school, and my most discerning choice was based on "which ones look cooler". I have a complete set of regular dice (just no D100's), with an excess of D6's because of my Star Wars preference. I never thought about randomness deviation in my dice, apart from believing that my dice did on occasion, in fact, hate me.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost all of my dice a few years back. Since then, I've collected several new sets for play.

I have the following:
Black with red pips. A single Red with black pips. 24 die. (Personal Set)
Red with black pips. A single Black with red pips. 12 die. (Guest Set)
Transparent green with white pips. Single transparent blue with white pips.. 10 die. (Guest Set)
Transparent blue with white pips. Single transparent green with white pips. 10 die. (Guest Set)
Strawberry pink with light green pips. Single strawberry pink with numbers. 12 die. (Guest Set)

My dice rolling quirk is that I always set my dice "1" facing up. I always argue that its more likely that the dice will land on a number higher than that next time!
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'm usually terribly funny about my dice, other than my general preoccupation with them. I've got more dice than a gamer really needs. I've got a number of poly sets, several 12xd6 sets, a 10xd10 set, and so on. Though I usually stick to vendors that I think produce a high quality product. Generally Chessex, Crystal Caste, Gamescience, and Q-Workshop. Two or three times a year an attractive set will catch my eye and I'll cave to the desire to add it to my collection.

When I play a D6 game the only thing I'm particular about is using pipped die for the majority of the dice pool and a numeraled die of a contrasting color for the wild die. That's more for easy identification than it is anything else.
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dice cannabilized from most every game imaginable. I stick to certain colors for groups (black for bad guys, whites for stormtroopers, etc) but have no real preference.

I bought a bag of dice earlier this year off ebay. The kids and I have had small adventures in D&D and decided that we needed more than one of each dice that came with the red box.

So, like rational people, we "drafted" dice colors. I got off-white and red.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have dice from 25 years ago when I first started gaming, I've had to replace one or two over the years, but for the most part they are the originals, including everything from d4, d6, d8 to d10, d12 and d20... Then color coded d10s for percentile.

On top of this more recently I've obtained a collection of d6s in various colors for playing SW.

The original dice though have a certain connection for me to the past, and prompt a lot of memories of the games I've been in over the years...

T.C.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always just used the d6es from my D&D collection which included a bunch of scavenged Risk dice (lots of 6 orlls) and some skull-head dice (lots of 1 rolls) I ended up with.

In planning to run d6 more regularly, I bought a Tenzi set: http://www.amazon.com/Tenzi-Game/dp/B004TAAGFQ. Cheapest I could find and gave me one color for each of 4 players. I bought a chessex brick of blue translucent dice for myself.

And for the wild dice, and die cups for d6 Fantasy... one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Caribbean-Dice-Game-Deception/dp/B000F0H80K. Silly game as written, but great for wild dice and the die cups are pretty cool.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, pirates dice. Yep, the kids got that for christmas years back. Played a couple of tiems but never got around to using the dice for some reason.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Ah, pirates dice. Yep, the kids got that for christmas years back. Played a couple of tiems but never got around to using the dice for some reason.

Yeah, I like the pirates dice. One of my players uses a set of them.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a pair of d10s from a friend of mine's 1st edition Cyberpunk box.

Yes, I stole them.

That, or they just look really similar and they just somehow appeared. I don't know; it's been a long time. Anyway, they're not particularly lucky for me, and I've been told to get new dice.

Nowadays, my dice are online, given that I play by email.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars 1E was my first D6 game. At the mere suggestion of a dice source in the book, I remember ravenously cannibalizing my family's games of all the dice. Even though the games had all been literally collecting dust for years, I still feel a little sorry for all those poor diceless, useless games that Mom probably trashed after I went off to college. Poor Yahtzee.

Now I have very few non-rolepaying games, but I'm pretty sure all my games in boxes actually have the dice needed to play them in the boxes, and I do not consider them to be a part of my 6-sided dice collective. I have a really sharp-looking standard 7-dice GameScience set I bought at Origins Game fair a few years ago (d4, d6, d8, d12, d20, d10 and percentile d10). I've barely used them but they seem nice.

Most of my 6-sided dice are pipped, white dice of the normal larger size (9/16th of an inch wide) and two varieties of a smaller size (7/16th of an inch wide), some with more rounded corners and some less rounded. Several of these dice are from the 70s and very worn. I don't use those much anymore, but I just can't bring myself to throw any of them away.

I have added several dice over the years (but I certainly have never stolen them from anyone). Various gamers I have gamed over the years with have just given me 6-sided dice here and there. So I have several odd one-of-a-kind 6-siders, mostly just for fun. A couple improbably tiny dice. A few dice of various colors. A cool multicolored marble-looking souvenir die from "Origins 2009" (it says that in place of the 6-pips side).

I have only bought more 6-diced once that I can recall, a few years ago at Origins I bought 6 numbered dice just because they look cool: 4 colored transparent (green, blue, purple and highlighter yellow), 1 completely clear, and 1 glow-in-the-dark. I only bought these to add to the collective. For some reason I long ago developed a distaste for actually using numbered dice. I love pips!

I like using a black die for Dark Side rolls. For any given roll, I prefer all the dice to be of the same shape (meaning level of corner roundedness), size and color, except for the Wild Die which should be about the same size and shape as the rest but a distinctly different color. This is not only for my rolls, but I really prefer this for my players also (who I happily loan dice to for the gaming session if they can't comply with their own dice collection).

For my last SW group I GMed for, I had my players tell me their favorite dice colors and as a gift I bought them all a nice set of 6-sidered dice of identical shape and size (each set all one color, but a different color for each player). Then I told them to each trade one of their dice with one of another player's to have one off-colored die to be their Wild Die. For using CPs and cases where their were additional wild dice in a roll, they simply borrowed a die from the player they got their Wild Die from, or if that player wasn't there for that session then they just borrowed a third-colored die from someone else.

Anyway, I have about 75 dice in my 6-sided collective, and since 1988 I have stored them in a black metal tin that originally carried two decks of Budwiser playing cards. Typing this post has made me want to go buy more dice, but I'll have to get them in sets so they have their own storage - My six-sided dice collective has about maxed out its container.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the wacky dice for the FFG Star Wars RPG. But I still haven't even gotten them out of the little plastic ziplock bag they game in.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a few large handfuls of translucent colored D6s. I once tried to roll a doubling cube from a game of backgammon as a joke. My old GM wasn't impressed.

Complete Starship Construction System
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAH! I imagine not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: