The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droid Brains for Ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Droid Brains for Ships Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Also, how do you make droid pilots for combat craft.. with the laws of robotics etc getting in the way. I can't see combat droids being hooked up.

Like the droid starfighters of the Trade Federation/CIS? I did see it the prequels. Are you referring to the works of Isaac Asimov or Star Wars?

Those were specific combat droids with a ship change capacity. BUT most combat droids are not space oriented.. Where as most astrogation/space use droids are not combat capable.. well from my reading of the droids book (cyndabar's)..

Quote:
I was thinking something with basic Mechanical skills (piloting, astrogation, etc.) but not at high enough levels to completely replace normal crew. I haven't really decided on weapons control, but I do think the ship should at least be able to bring the shields up.

How easy will you make it for the crew to modify it up??

As far as that gun turret goes.. perhaps it is nothing than a form of Anti missile blaster.. Say space range of 2/4/6 with a high fire control for engaging enemy missiles..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Those were specific combat droids with a ship change capacity. BUT most combat droids are not space oriented.. Where as most astrogation/space use droids are not combat capable.. well from my reading of the droids book (cyndabar's)..

I fail to see the issue. It's just a matter of programming, and a droid brain plugged into a ship is no less able to be programmed than a droid specifically designed for combat. Even if the characters stole a separate droid brain from, say, a CIS droid starfighter, and wired it into their ship for the specific purpose of running the guns, it would still be a possibility.

Quote:
How easy will you make it for the crew to modify it up??

Well, this still is in the discussion stages, but ideally, I'd prefer to keep it so that the cost always lags behind the cost required for the droid to surpass the ability of the character.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

If you're reading Cynabar's, then look at the page immediately preceding the entry for an R2 astromech. You should be looking at the PG-5 Gunnery Droid. It was designed badly, but it was designed to shoot stuff in space, and the flaws in the design could be fixed. Also, the FEG-series pilot droid was able to function in a combat capacity (spacecraft weaponry or its very own blaster pistol), IIRC.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Hellcat wrote:
Whill wrote:

I've also toyed with the idea of having a Shard be installed in a ship, of course unbeknownst to the PCs. Twisted Evil

A Shard installed unbekonwnst to the PCs. I like it Very Happy

Ahem yes, a character like that can be a lot of fun, it works best in an online game where you can have the shard be another PC and they then PM their actions to the GM without the other players seeing Smile

Well I was thinking of the Shard ship being an NPC, not a PC. A starship would not work as a PC in my game. There would be so much off-ship adventuring she would be left out of.

EDIT: I corrected my screwed up quote tag usage
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing not been mentioned.. What happens to the controlling droid brain if it takes a massive ion damage shot??
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the droid brain simply get damaged as per the rules for damaging passengers while they're in ships?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. If it is wired into a ship's systems, I would think it would be more vulnerable (IMO, starships are equipped with grounding insulation that protects passengers from ion effects).

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ion damage doesn't seem to erase nav computer data, so I doubt it would do permanent damage to a droid brain.

Complete Starship Construction System
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Depends on the door and the AI. Recognize this quote? "It is my pleasure to open for you, and my satisfaction to close again with the knowledge of a job well done."

This topic didn'tmake me think of the doors, but certainly made me think of Eddie, the shipboard computer:

"Now this is going to be your first day on a strange planet, so I want you all to dress up snug and warm and no playing with any naughty bug-eyed monsters"
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One thing not been mentioned.. What happens to the controlling droid brain if it takes a massive ion damage shot??

I'd just treat it like they were hit by a Jawa ionization gun; acts like a blaster set to stun would on an organic...but added on top of the result to the ship. By this I mean that whatever the result to the droid brain, don't start the time allotted until power to the ship has been restored. If you have house rules for stun damage, apply them instead of the regular results for stun weapons.

Example:
Bob's freighter takes a hit from a Star Destroyer's ion cannon blast, and the ion damage roll (3D capital-scale; let's say 32) beats the resisting roll for the ship's hull (4D starfighter-scale, let's say 14) by 18; the controls are dead. This also means that the droid brain suffered the same results (32 vs. 14 = beat it by 18), but as stun damage. According to the Character Damage Chart in the RAW, "treat any result more serious than 'stunned' as 'unconscious for 2D minutes'." Rolling 2D, we get a result of 7. So whenever the ship's systems are brought back online (which I don't think the RAW even covers times or difficulties for bringing a ship back online/back to normal when its controls are dead/ionized, but that's an issue for another thread), the droid brain will remain "unconscious" for an additional 7 minutes.

That's the simple method...I'd likely come up with something a tiny bit more complex, but still based on that basic premise. I use different house rules for stun damage anyway (time unconscious is 2D minutes plus the amount that the character's roll to resist was beaten by), and I'd account for scale (character-scale droid brain = an extra 6D of stun damage since the freighter resisted damage with a starfighter-scale hull roll).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What of droids just 'jacked in' like R2 and that bunker in ROTJ..?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
This topic didn'tmake me think of the doors, but certainly made me think of Eddie, the shipboard computer:

"Now this is going to be your first day on a strange planet, so I want you all to dress up snug and warm and no playing with any naughty bug-eyed monsters"

Read Life, The Universe And Everything. All of the doors on the Heart of Gold have their own controlling AI's that derive immense satisfaction from opening and closing so that someone may walk through.

And you're right about Eddie. I had the same thought when I was writing up the original post.

Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Genuine People Personalities, who were also responsible for Marvin.
Why the hell didn't I think of Marvin when I was coming up with a droid for my players??!! Damit. I forsee an accident happening to the droid soon!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used depressed droids like Marvin and the talking doors. Too good to pass up.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the idea behind the 'heart of gold' ship I mentioned earlier in this thread. Instead of a small super fast ship I will be going with a larger ship (only very fast hyperdrive) like luxury yacht.

Still a Kuat prototype (or at least a single ship) falling into the PCs hand.. With an annyingly benevolent droid brain running the ship (flying and the whole shebang, perhaps combat maneuvers will be rather poor though).

Edit: That seems like a weird propulsion system though. At least for what Ive seen in SW...

If the Naboo ship designs werent so well known among my players the larger naboo royal cruiser would have been perfect. The above ship is a bit too much luxury liner' but is in the right direction..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: