The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Anti-Security Blade?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Anti-Security Blade? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Personally, I'd just use an EMP.

I think they'd notice something was wrong if everything stopped working. I get the feeling this tool is pretty much just designed to make temporary glitches in a system, allowing someone on a stealth intrusion mission to slip through temporary gaps in security. Hard to be stealthy when you announce your presence with a bomb.

I'd think they'd notice if anything stopped working. Can you really picture yourself sitting in a security booth watching your security cameras wink out and then back on sequentially, without deciding something was up?

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I'd think they'd notice if anything stopped working. Can you really picture yourself sitting in a security booth watching your security cameras wink out and then back on sequentially, without deciding something was up?
I think we can make one of two assumptions about how this works.

(1) There is a momentary burst of static, screen going dark, or fluctuation of the energy readings as the intruder passess the camera or sensor, then the screen or readout goes back to normal. At least in the world of TV and movies those sorts of things seem to come across to the bored security guards as normal glitches in the sensitive equipment. In this case, there is a pretty good chance that the guard is not looking at the right screen or readout at the right time or assumes the momentary glitch is a power spike or sensor malfunction. Note this assumes the 'blade' is not blacking out cameras or sensors in a 50 meter radius, which I agree would be noticable unless the guard is totally asleep.

(2) The cameras do black out in a 50 meter radius, and the effect is supposed to be "holy $h!t, all the screens just went black on level H!" - Ooooo! Scary! Note in this case the guard is supposed to notice and either be confused or more likely scared. Of course neither reaction should stop the guard from calling for help or sounding an alarm.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. Having worked as a security guard, I can tell you that people very quickly fall into routines, and when there is a system failure of some kind, security guards tend to prefer the best case scenario. If a camera stops working for a few seconds, then comes back on and everything seems normal, the average security guard will, at most, make a notation in his log book to pass on to maintenance. But if everything goes out, it's a different story. Gotta call the power company to see if there is an outage. You have alert your supervisor, and the police if he authorizes it. Increased foot patrols to cover for the lost cameras.

Besides, it's not like all the cameras will be flicking off one by one. An intruder won't usually need access to the entire building, just one portion of it. Plus, not all cameras in the intruder's path will need to be spoofed electronically. Some will be placed with blind spots that can be taken advantage of, and others will be scanning cameras that can be evaded if you time your moves right.

In fact, a smart move would be to simulate a system fault in the camera system using a device like this. Switch it on an off at random and security will send out a patrol to check for anything suspicious. If nothing suspicious is found, they'll write it off as a glitch, and at most, they will increase foot patrols in the area where the camera is glitching.

Bottom line? Huge difference between a precision tool designed to temporarily disable a piece of equipment and an EMP designed to take out everything permanently.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Where did Wookiepedia base this off of? I have never heard or seen anything of this in any of the published stuff for Boba (or jango), even in the bounty hunter trilogy, which focused ON boba..
The article lists "Sources - Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary" so I'm thinking that they got this from the Complete Visual Dictionary.

It's the only source listed, no RPG sources are listed. So that may be why Garrel couldn't find any stats.

So basically it was something someone saw in the visual dictionary and decided to power it up so it would have a purpose..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So basically it was something someone saw in the visual dictionary and decided to power it up so it would have a purpose..
Pretty much.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Hellcat wrote:
Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Where did Wookiepedia base this off of? I have never heard or seen anything of this in any of the published stuff for Boba (or jango), even in the bounty hunter trilogy, which focused ON boba..
The article lists "Sources - Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary" so I'm thinking that they got this from the Complete Visual Dictionary.

It's the only source listed, no RPG sources are listed. So that may be why Garrel couldn't find any stats.

You mean like on offhand onscreen mention of an XP-38 in 1977, which we never see anywhere in the movie, leads to it's being stated in 1987?

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP-38??
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
garhkal wrote:

You mean like on offhand onscreen mention of an XP-38 in 1977, which we never see anywhere in the movie, leads to it's being stated in 1987?
Pretty much.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
XP-38??

ANH. Luke dealing with the landspeeder dealer to get the credits they needed to pay Han and Chewie for passage off Tatooine. Luke makes a comment to Obi-Wan about how much he was able to get for his old speeder, which is an X-34.

Luke: All right, give it to me. I'll take it. Look at this. Ever since the XP-38 came out, they just aren't in demand.

Wanted Poster
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
XP-38??

You don't have every line in the original Star Wars memorized??!! Shocked

If they ever make a movie better than Star Wars I have a lot of catch-up viewings to do. I stopped counting my number of viewings when I got to 100 when viewing the Star Wars special edition in theater. I'm guessing that my view counts for Empire and Jedi are very close to Star Wars (well over 100 now as well).

Quote:
Death Star Officer: TK-421, why aren't you at your post?

Theepio: Level 5, Detention Block AA-23

Luke: Prisoner transfer from cell block 1138

Han: We've got to find out which cell this princess of yours in in. Here it is, 2187.

Luke: Hey, open the pressure mantainence hatch on unit number where are we?
Han: 3263827!

Wedge: Heavy fire, boss. 23 degrees.

Red Leader: Rendezvous at mark 6.1

Luke: No sign of any... wait. Coming in .35.

Luke: Red Leader, we're right above you. Turn to point... O-5. We'll cover for you.

Wedge: Fighters, coming in .3

Threepio: Artoo says the chances of survival are 725 to 1.

Leia: Asteroids
Han: On no. Chewie, set 271.

Threepio: Sir, the possibility of navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1.
Han: Never tell me the odds!

Believe it or not, I just typed all that number-related dialogue completely from memory. Wow, I must be like the Rainman of Star Wars nerds or something!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider myself that big of a geek...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider myself a geek at all. I'm a nerd, not a geek. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is we never see the XP-38 in the original movie (maybe in the SE but not the original) Luke makes an off-hand comment about it and WEG stated it early on. That's kinda a precendence to me of stating things never seen in use, if their even seen at all. From Luke's comment we don't even know if the XP-38 is faster than his landspeeder or if it's simply more modern and offers things not found on his. But it still got stated just from that off-hand comment.

Wanted Poster
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't consider myself a geek at all. I'm a nerd, not a geek. 8)
What's the matter, you don't fancy live chicken heads? Wink Me neither. For that reason alone, I've always been more partial to nerd.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Quote:

Threepio: Sir, the possibility of navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1.
Han: Never tell me the odds!

Believe it or not, I just typed all that number-related dialogue completely from memory. Wow, I must be like the Rainman of Star Wars nerds or something!

I thought 3,720 to 1 were the odds of surviving a direct assault on an ISD...

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: