The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Anti-Security Blade?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Anti-Security Blade? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garrel
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Anti-Security Blade? Reply with quote

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-security_blade

I've been unable to find any stats for Anti-security blades, which are basically harmonic devices with a large array of effects that could be created to shut down security systems. Has anyone found or created stats for them?

Alternatively, I have made some of my own, but want to get opinions on them:

Anti-Security Blade
Type: Anti-security device
Availability: 4,X
Skill: Security
Cost: 15,000 (20 minute charge); 25,000 (40 minute charge)
Game Notes: Anti-security blades have 20+ minutes of charge time and can be recharged in 2 minutes via standard methods.
Fence Fields: With a Moderate Security roll, the blade can be tuned to the proper frequency to disable fence fields; this requires touching the blade to the field and expends 5 minutes of charge.
Security Cameras: With an Easy Security roll, security cameras within 50 meters of the blade can be caused to malfunction temporarily, expending charge time.
Door Locks: By touching the blade to specific points of a lock (depending on type), the blade lowers the difficulty of a locked doorway by one level. This expends 2 minutes of charge time per every difficulty level of the original lock (2 minutes for Very Easy, 4 for Easy, etc.)
Comlinks: With a known comlink frequency, an Easy roll jams all use of that frequency within 50 meters, expending charge time.

I figure a device of this type should be difficult to find and certainly expensive, hence the high cost there.

If anyone has any opinions, let me know.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like something Shadow Troopers would be issued and that the Rebel Alliance Spec Forces and Special Ops would dearly love to acquire.

(1) I'm not wild about a small, multi-function device that circumvents so many systems - as opposed to multiple devices to perform each function.
(2) If a small, multi-function device exists, I agree that it would be very expensive and difficult to obtain.
(3) I don't really understand what kind of a harmonic effect this device is creating, is it electromagnetic, sonic, etc. I can see a sonic effect vibrating a mechanical lock to open it or an electromagnetic effect opening an electronic lock; I just don't see one effect that does both. Similarly for jamming a comlink and disabling or creating a gap in a power fence.
(4) I don't quite see how a harmonic effect disables a power fence. I would see that more as two devices or a circular device that reroutes power around the paired devices or the circular device to create a temporary opening in a power fence - analogous to wire cutters creating a (permanent) opening a gap in a chain link or barb wire fence.
(5) I would think using this device should have some downsides, e.g. it would interfere with the HUD and SCOMP links in Boba Fett's armor, could cause feedbacks or explosions of weapons in use at the source, i.e. Boba, it may cause certain types of systems to fuse shut (for a lock), generate alarms (for any of them), send power arcs wildly about (for a power fence), (cause feedback and interference for other signals, e.g. wireless data connections, scanners and sensors, Beckon Calls, HUD displays, SCOMP links, etc.) It just seems very powerful with no downsides aside from having to burn some credits. Since NPCs effectively have as many credits as the GM will give them - well I guess that is true of PCs as well Wink - cost alone is not enough of a downside, to my mind.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bren.. This seems to do too much for something so small..
IF i could see it being allowed, each function would be specific to a set blade..

EG
Magna lock blades
Adds +1d+1 to security rolls

Fence blades
Mod security roll to disable a 10ft section of fence for 2d minutes.. Rolling a critical flub (all 1s on the security roll) causes the fence to short out ON The one using the blade.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this seems more like whoever was writing captions for the visual dictionary overreached themselves. I have a hard time imagining that one random piece of metal on Boba Fett's armor can do all this, and if it can, it would be the sort of thing that only someone of Boba Fett's level would have access to.

I think this would be more acceptable if it had a much shorter range, as 50 meters is actually pretty far. Based on the Wookieepedia article, I would suggest that these be contact based or limited to a few meters.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be, rather than writing stats for anti-security blades, simply make them a part of the tool-kit needed to make Security skill checks.

Garrel
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I agree that they're too powerful, but I was just trying to come up with a draft of stats based on the Wookieepedia article. I think Boba Fett carried multiple blades, so having them split up to where each blade performs a specific functions might just work better.

So I will probably split the functions up into multiple blades, while still keeping the cost relatively high and availability low, and also include some of the suggested drawbacks.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did Wookiepedia base this off of? I have never heard or seen anything of this in any of the published stuff for Boba (or jango), even in the bounty hunter trilogy, which focused ON boba..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Where did Wookiepedia base this off of? I have never heard or seen anything of this in any of the published stuff for Boba (or jango), even in the bounty hunter trilogy, which focused ON boba..
The article lists "Sources - Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary" so I'm thinking that they got this from the Complete Visual Dictionary.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
The article lists "Sources - Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary" so I'm thinking that they got this from the Complete Visual Dictionary.

Yes, page 251. The author just made up something he thought sounded cool to describe the purpose of these tiny little props that stick out of Boba Fett's shin pockets. I didn't look them up in Wookieepedia, but from the text here in the book they sound silly.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It's the only source listed, no RPG sources are listed. So that may be why Garrel couldn't find any stats.

Wanted Poster
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the all new ANTI-SECURITY BLADE FROM GINSU!!!! It slices! It dices! It deactivates comlinks at 50 meters! And it can be yours right now for the SUPER LOW PRICE OF 15,000 CREDITS!!!! But wait, there's more. If you call in the next 7 parsecs...

(Sorry, Garral. Couldn't resist.)

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
...If you call in the next 7 parsecs...
Are you making fun of George? Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
...If you call in the next 7 parsecs...
Are you making fun of George? Wink

Who? Moi? Wink

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd just use an EMP.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Personally, I'd just use an EMP.

I think they'd notice something was wrong if everything stopped working. I get the feeling this tool is pretty much just designed to make temporary glitches in a system, allowing someone on a stealth intrusion mission to slip through temporary gaps in security. Hard to be stealthy when you announce your presence with a bomb.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: