The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How do you use Intimidation in your game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How do you use Intimidation in your game? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, thanks for explaining how your group handles creating the things you are indiffferent to. Very Happy That sounds interesting. Nothing wrong with that as a solution from my prespective.
Quote:
...And since the PCs would normally choose something they like, they are also creating some food that the PC likes...
I assume you intended to say the "players" for the first "PC" in this sentence. Assuming so, I think my players are a bit more schizophrenic about their characters' likes and dislikes. PCs probably match about 50% of what the player actually likes or dislikes. That's probably part of why they like a bit more randomness in their PC choices.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Whill, thanks for explaining how your group handles creating the things you are indiffferent to. Very Happy That sounds interesting. Nothing wrong with that as a solution from my prespective.
Quote:
...And since the PCs would normally choose something they like, they are also creating some food that the PC likes...
I assume you intended to say the "players" for the first "PC" in this sentence. Assuming so, I think my players are a bit more schizophrenic about their characters' likes and dislikes. PCs probably match about 50% of what the player actually likes or dislikes. That's probably part of why they like a bit more randomness in their PC choices.

No, I meant PCs. What the player likes is irrelevant to what the PC likes, as far as imaginary food goes. When we're talking about the meat of fictional animals there is no common frame of reference for player to like or dislike what the PC is ordering! I meant that anyone in the situation of eating dinner in a restaurant (real or fictional) is usually going to order something that he likes, or at least is interested in trying based on the menu description and his tastes. In the RPG, the order was the introduction of retroactive continuity because until that moment, none of other the players or even the GM had known about the PC's taste for Naboo-style Bantha steaks. But from the moment he mentioned it, then suddenly his character had liked them since his childhood (and this taste was determined by the player without the rolling of dice to determine if he liked that entre or not).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
No, I meant PCs...
OK, I get what you are saying. I didn't realize the second "they" in "And since the PCs would normally choose something they like, they are also creating some food that the PC likes," referred to the players rather than the PCs or the first they.

All clear now. Smile
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my bad on the unclear pronoun reference there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue May 17, 2011 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you might find it relevant but under legislative conventions relating to assaults psychological intimidation is considered the first tier of a physical altercation. Police in the US and Commonwealth for example are authorised to exercise use of force if presented with psychological intimidation or passive resistance, by that I mean a cop can literally, legally punch you in the face if you attempt to inimidate him and this is regarded in most courts as proportionate use of force for an officer of the law performing his duties (that would be why they get away with things like hitting protesters that give them lip instead of moving on when instructed).

So in my game I treat intimidation as the initital phase of combat with effectively stunning effects, occasionally similar to the tiered results offered by one poster in the thread.

I might use intimidation in place of PER or Strategy: Squads for initiative for example and if it really trumps your willpower/PER counter, you're caught flat-footed for a surprise attack with no dodge/parry just like as if you were sniped by a concealed assassin using a successful Hide/Sneak roll vs your PER/Search.

Here is how I intimidate the players if it's just a mean look.
"The towering, armoured Coynite purses his lips and snarls at you with a threatening demeanour and piercing glare, extreme offence obviously taken at your remark. His hand quivers about the hilt of his wickedly shaped broadsword and you realise at any moment he wishes, you would be caught flat-footed and completely open to his attack. What do you want to do?"

Most tend to back down.
If they didn't, free opening attack at base difficulty to hack them to bits for a successful intimidation. As far as I'm concerned this works in real life, it works especially well in SW. Is it not the first rule of martial arts that you are your own worst enemy?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. didn;t know that... Might explain why so many protesters get whakked!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it in the PbP where I had the team have to face some Sithspawn zombies I'd cooked up where the zombies got to make an intimidation roll as a free action for their first attack against the characters willpower. A failed roll meant the character, PC or NPC, was terrified by the appearance of the zombies and all they could do for two rounds was just try to get away, it was up to the players how fast they were going to flee. If they missed the roll by 10 or more all they could do was cower until they made a Moderate willpower roll. Didn't have anyone cowering, but I did have like two or three characters fleeing, all of them Jedi. Was more interesting to see them flee and then send memories of the Jedi code at them once the two rounds were up.

Usually if it's just within the team and someone is intimidated then the intimidated party just backs down. However, my favorite instance of intimidation came very early on and it was PC on NPC. One of the PCs intimidated an NPC so badly that the NPC peed their work suit. And the PC had to use their 2D in Knowledge to do the intimidating.

Wanted Poster
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah see I reckon this is good gaming. Using the Intimidation there creatively and as a part of the combat action reminds the players to develop those superfluous knowledge skills like willpower if they want to develop their character into the strong, silent type, etc.

How you want to play your character is entirely influenced by the skills the character has.
I love making the gaming reflect this in bold strokes, it helps players get right into their characters.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That, combined with the fact that protesters are generally jerks towards cops...

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
garhkal wrote:

That, combined with the fact that protesters are generally jerks towards cops...
Yeah, darn those pesky first amendment rights.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
garhkal wrote:

There should be some kind of law against protestors. Our GM does not often beat down on guys who question his authority. But I know of groups who bring out the heavy artillery when players who question the rules speak their mind. The GM is all powerful and should be respected as such. I was wondering what the other players/GM on the board handles such dimwits.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treat what they say as in character.. and have whom they are talking to respond accordingly!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Just making an observation. Protesters tend to like to fight the system. Cops tend to be seen as representations of the system. People with big sticks tend to whack the jerk first.

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Bren wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Just making an observation. Protesters tend to like to fight the system. Cops tend to be seen as representations of the system. People with big sticks tend to whack the jerk first.
I don't want to tangent off on a discussion of the merits and demerits of civil disobedience, but given this is a SWD6 forum I find your comment a bit ironic. That is, unless you exclusively run a valiant and honorable soldiers protecting civilization and the Empire from those nefarious Rebel jerks campaign.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen please, division and absolutism is the way of the Dark Side. Policeman or bricklayer, it is the same legal system we all use. If there is a problem, reform that. On the same side here.
Wink

Of course now Ewoks, well they're just annoying Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: