The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Official Characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Official Characters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laztheinfamous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Official Characters Reply with quote

I'm sure that it has probably been used before now, but forgive the neophyte. Star Wars is a very different game then most other RPGs. First off, there is very little explaining what something is, because of the movies, and that my friends brings me to the very point I came here for. When to use the movie characters or other EU characters?

I like to use them as flavor. Just like pepper, a little bit goes a long way to making it Star Warsy enough. The occasional mission debrief from General Madine or Sabacc game with Lando. However, I will not use them as opponents. In my experience either the PCs crap their pants at having to fight Bobba Fett, or try to kill Darth Vader (and are fairly successful, as PCs often are).

How do you use official characters.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Characters Reply with quote

laztheinfamous wrote:
However, I will not use them as opponents. In my experience either the PCs crap their pants at having to fight Bobba Fett, or try to kill Darth Vader (and are fairly successful, as PCs often are).

In my experience, if a group of PCs beat Boba or Vader, it's due to poor GM'ing. These are not characters who are supposed to get beaten all that easy. They have skills through the roof, the best equipment, and no matter how many CPs and FPs the characters spend, the big bads almost have enough to match, as well as usually being one or two steps ahead of the PCs on their tactics. If the PCs are fighting Vader or Fett and seem to be getting the upper hand or forcing him back, it should be because they're being lured into an ambush.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mythosaur
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used characters from the movies for flavor, and really it was just for flavor. Never really had the NPcharacters be aggressive or put the PC's against the wall with them.

I'm not opposed to using movie characters as opponents, just I haven't done so up to this point. Personally, I suspect PC's would enjoy the challenge. Though in the end, a GM could do whatever they want. C's winning could be an ambush. The NPC was only a Force hallucination, or even a shape changing alien that was masquerading as the movie character.

For that matter, maybe the GM intentionally set up Jar Jar Binks to get in a fight so that the PC's could take Jar Jar out of their star wars universe.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love using character form the movies. No, they are not enemies. Sometimes they are background and their appearance only means something to the players not the PCs. Sometimes there is PC interaction and sometimes it is even important to the scene, adventure or campaign.

But you don't want to overdo it or then it become the cliche I refer to as "The Young Indiana Jones Syndrome" because in all of his adventures he just happened to encounter several famous historical figures per episode, and it often strained credulity even for the historical fiction genre.

There is already a good amount of chance encounters or near-encounters in the movie saga. R2 just happens to get sold by the Jawas to the son and brother of former masters. Yoda and Chewbaca were pals and then Obi-Wan runs into Chewbacca in the cantina. Obi-Wan meets Boba Fett and battles his father, then years later Obi-Wan almost runs into Boba Fett in his father's armor at Docking Bay 94.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to stay away from the main movie characters in my games. With EU characters it depends. In the PbP I'm running here I've only used a few EU characters so far, three of them were as little as possible. One I've used a bit more heavily. The basics is that most of my games run concurrent to the events that happened but the PCs events would be on the outer edges of the events. That is to say in most of the adventures if I were to run an adventure taking place during the Battle of Yavin then the PCs would not take part in the battle so they'd have no effect on it but they would be taking part in a mission for the Alliance deemed important at the same time so that they would end up getting news of the battle. That way well know characters don't have their personalities changed by me.

But things are a little different in my book when your dealing with a certain point in the characters past that hasn't really been discussed. Their personality may have been a little different father back in their past so it's less who they are at the time folks really know of them.

Wanted Poster
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than perhaps a name drop, I've never used the movie characters.

Well, that's not entirely true, my original gaming group dealt with Jabba once... my character lost his toes as a torture in that event Razz

When to use them really depends on the type of game you want to portray, but I really think they should be used quite sparingly, if at all. They are powerful beings, and if there should be an "encounter", it should leave the PCs pretty shaken and at the point that they would reconsider encountering them again. They're a plot device, generally, and best used as such.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love dropping names, but for the most part dont like using them unless i know my group very well.

One of 3 things can happen:
1. they dont get it, and your all let down with your Kyp Durron name drop
2. They get it, but want to "change the course of history" and just start shooting at him.
3. they get it, and like it!

so 1/3 aint bad, but not great Razz if you know your group you can drop more names down, or less depending on the group!

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Characters Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
laztheinfamous wrote:
However, I will not use them as opponents. In my experience either the PCs crap their pants at having to fight Bobba Fett, or try to kill Darth Vader (and are fairly successful, as PCs often are).

In my experience, if a group of PCs beat Boba or Vader, it's due to poor GM'ing. These are not characters who are supposed to get beaten all that easy. They have skills through the roof, the best equipment, and no matter how many CPs and FPs the characters spend, the big bads almost have enough to match, as well as usually being one or two steps ahead of the PCs on their tactics. If the PCs are fighting Vader or Fett and seem to be getting the upper hand or forcing him back, it should be because they're being lured into an ambush.

Plus as the big baddie, they have had years worth of experience, ergo shouldn;t really be taken in by much tactics the PCs can come up with. Much like ancient dragons in ADND.. They are long enough lived they should have seen it all.

Quote:
I have used characters from the movies for flavor, and really it was just for flavor. Never really had the NPcharacters be aggressive or put the PC's against the wall with them.

I'm not opposed to using movie characters as opponents, just I haven't done so up to this point. Personally, I suspect PC's would enjoy the challenge.

I have had through out the years, 8 pcs who have tried to tangle with vader. 1 who managed to sneak into imp palace and tried to get past 5 royal guard to smack the emperor... and a number of others who tried to go for Boba or Bossk.. Most died, several were captured, and ONE succeeded taking out bossk.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
i love dropping names, but for the most part dont like using them unless i know my group very well.

One of 3 things can happen:
1. they dont get it, and your all let down with your Kyp Durron name drop
2. They get it, but want to "change the course of history" and just start shooting at him.
3. they get it, and like it!

so 1/3 aint bad, but not great Razz if you know your group you can drop more names down, or less depending on the group!

Name dropping is something I don't really mind doing as long as I'm less likely to actually introduce them. Your number two is why I like having my games be mostly out on the edges of what's going on. It's like history, there are important events and people you tend to hear all about and then there are events and folks you really have to look into to even learn they happened and existed. Some may prove as important or even more so than what you regulary taught about.

Wanted Poster
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
my character lost his toes as a torture in that event Razz

Oh fun! Razz Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! Razz ... Laughing

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: