The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Anyone know their blaster and laser cannon tech really well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Anyone know their blaster and laser cannon tech really well? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Anyone know their blaster and laser cannon tech really well? Reply with quote

This seems a little out of category anywhere I put it, but least so here.

After extensive research it seems to me that the color of a blaster or laser cannon bolt is primarily determined by the type of blaster gas used in the weapon. Different gasses yield different colors. What I can't find anywhere is any indication of what gasses yield what colors. I would like to stick to canon on this if there is any on this subject. (If not, there are benefits to being the GM). So does anyone know if there is any information out there on any blaster gas corresponding to any color?

Complete Starship Construction System
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite convinced the gas has nothing to do with it. It is the color of the crystal that determines the color of the laser.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many kinds of lasers. Solid state, chemical, gas etc. The colour or wavelength depends on the medium and at what energy ste the atoms are emitting photons.
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
There are many kinds of lasers. Solid state, chemical, gas etc. The colour or wavelength depends on the medium and at what energy ste the atoms are emitting photons.

Checked it up. You are right. So the question remains. What determines the color? All hand held guns seems to use red laser except from the light sabers, while ships lasers tend to shift.

An interesting detail; In Star Wars most areas and stuff have colors with a symbolic value. Most typical are the light sabers -red=badguy, blue=goodguy, green=hero. When looking at the ships lasers, the badguys use green, and the goodguys use red...
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One gas can emit different wavelengths depending on the state of the atoms. I'm not sure this translates to the blasters and lightsabers of starwars. From what I understand it's some kinda of plasma cannons.

But my guess would be that it could be a helium-neon gas that is used and the color depends on on how much energy is used to create the plasma. I don't know much about plasma I admit.

Typical helium-neon and argon lasers emit blue to red light. Carbon dioxide lasers emit low frequency emission. There are so many possibilities. Just make something up is my advice.

The way blaster pistols work in Star Wars doesn't really make sense to me. There are only energy packs and no source for the plasma.
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
One gas can emit different wavelengths depending on the state of the atoms. I'm not sure this translates to the blasters and lightsabers of starwars. From what I understand it's some kinda of plasma cannons.

But my guess would be that it could be a helium-neon gas that is used and the color depends on on how much energy is used to create the plasma. I don't know much about plasma I admit.

Typical helium-neon and argon lasers emit blue to red light. Carbon dioxide lasers emit low frequency emission. There are so many possibilities. Just make something up is my advice.

The way blaster pistols work in Star Wars doesn't really make sense to me. There are only energy packs and no source for the plasma.

I don't go by the plasma thing at all. I know some people say it must be plasma because they fire bolts instead of beams, but I think that is part of the different physical laws in that galaxy. Just like the ships that can be heard from other ships as they pass by each other in space...
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. In our universe weapon lasers are not of the visible spectrum. Since it's fiction why don't you just pick something nice. Helium-neon laser as starship blasters and various crystals for personal blasters and lightsabers.
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
OK. In our universe weapon lasers are not of the visible spectrum. Since it's fiction why don't you just pick something nice. Helium-neon laser as starship blasters and various crystals for personal blasters and lightsabers.

That is what makes their universe more interesting than ours. I mean I'd love to try one of the laser pistols that actually exists, but I doubt it would be that much fun. I prefer it when it makes whizzing sounds and shot bolts Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no. The color is determined by the plot. Bad guys shoot red lasers, and good guys shoot green or blue. Maybe blaster bolts turn red if your character has DSPs.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember hearing anything about blasters being laser pistols. I think people just decided they were because of all the lights and sounds and it was sci-fi. No part of "hope they don't have blasters" says laser to me. Plus the physics of creating and accelerating a burst of plasma are relatively simple...

Anyway, it's looking like I may have to bring my own canon to this fight...
*Ducks to avoid backlash at his pun.*

Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
No, no. The color is determined by the plot. Bad guys shoot red lasers, and good guys shoot green or blue. Maybe blaster bolts turn red if your character has DSPs.

But the X-wings does shoot red laser, and the Tie fighters and the Stardestroyers and even the Superlaser uses green... Maybe we all misunderstand these movies, and the rebels are the badguys Shocked
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I don't remember hearing anything about blasters being laser pistols. I think people just decided they were because of all the lights and sounds and it was sci-fi. No part of "hope they don't have blasters" says laser to me. Plus the physics of creating and accelerating a burst of plasma are relatively simple...

Anyway, it's looking like I may have to bring my own canon to this fight...
*Ducks to avoid backlash at his pun.*

*bam bam bam, ratatatatata* Just kidding
It's fine with me if some people wants to call it plasma, but I stick to laser.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've come up with a list of gasses and colors. I am only able to support one color conclusion with evidence, and the rest is just conjecture.

Eleton - Magenta
Tolium - Blue-Green
Prothium - Orange
Orveth - Yellow
Skevon - Red
Sig - Green
Tibanna - Blue

Tibanna is rarely used in hand blasters. It can tend toward burning them out. A notable exception is the DC series of blasters used by clone troopers, which are designed to be used with tibanna. We've seen these used in the movies, so we know that tibanna yields a blue colored bolt. Sig is also a very powerful blaster gas, and less rare than tibanna. I would assume the empire would use the strongest widely available gas in its turbolasers, so I made Sig green. Skevon is a common gas, so I made it red like most blaster bolts we see in the movies. Orveth is also common. I made it yellow like CIS tank blasts. For tolium and eleton I just filled in the gaps. I hope this is useful to someone out there!

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I admit I haven't really paid attention to the blaster color bolt colors in Eps II and III. The first 4 released films is pretty easy, I think...
All hand blasters are red bolts. In the classic trilogy, Imperial ships shoot green and Rebel ships shoot red. In TPM, the Naboo fighters shoot green and the Trade Federation shoots red. Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong. You mentioned a CIS tank. Beyond what I have written, what are the colors used for each weapon fired in Star Wars films? Please?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about farts? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: