The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Maneuverability and Piloting House Rule Suggestion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Maneuverability and Piloting House Rule Suggestion Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Maneuverability and Piloting House Rule Suggestion Reply with quote

Hey guys, Soniv here again. It's been a long while, but I've started GMing a campaign, and the thought of ship and vehicle maneuverability came to me; namely, that simply adding maneuverability dice to the piloting skill seemed counterintuitive to how piloting works.

I thought back to my days playing X-Wing, TIE Fighter and the like, and remembered that while it was easier to pilot the more maneuverable ships, unless I actually knew what I was doing, all the maneuverability in the world wouldn't help me out. Thus, after some deliberation, I designed the following house rule:

If the player's piloting skill <= the ship's maneuverability die code, simply use the player's piloting skill.

If the player's piloting skill > the ship's maneuverability die code, average the piloting skill and the maneuverability die code. This is the new die code the player uses.

Examples:

Player A has Starfighter Piloting 4D and is in a TIE Defender, with Maneuverability of 6D. Player A simply rolls their 4D Starfighter Piloting.

Player B has 3D Starfighter Piloting, but is in a TIE/ln, with Maneuverability of 2D. Averaging the 15 pips and rounding down gives seven pips, or 2D+1. This is the amount they roll.

This has the added side effect of diluting advancement in piloting skills somewhat, but as of right now, I'm not entirely sure if this is a good or bad thing. Thoughts? Suggestions? Possibilities for streamlining or refining the rule somewhat?
kinseyfs
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, as maneuverability is factored a bonus to the player's skill, you would need to completely adjust the maneuver codes of all the ships. On top of that, this will penalize pilots. Do you plan on adding accuracy dies codes to blasters as well?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even though I haven't tested it, this makes a couple things pop into my mind. First, you're basically making maneuverability on craft pointless. If it's high, there's no effect. If it's low, it's a negative effect.

Second, by utilizing an "average", you're basically including a new calculation that must be done every time a pilot steps foot in a craft with low maneuverability. This particular feature will slow the game down slightly.

So while it's not exactly "accurate" of simply adding the maneuver to the pilot roll, it's currently the best thing because it gives a benefit for a more maneuverable craft and the better skill of the pilot.

You seem like you're heading in the right direction, but you're just not there yet.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think there is some logic to this idea (aaverage person with 2D MEC inside an A-Wing really in shouldn't be as good as a prefessinola Pilot with 4D skill in a Y-Wing), it does cause havoc with the rules.

THe difficulties for piloting maneuvers are set with the idea that pilots would be getting a bnous from the maneuverability. So piloting will get a lot harder.

You might consider useing 2xMAN as the cap, as most pilots will have skills higher than thier craft7s MAN rating.

Another method to achieve what you want would be to adjust the difficulty of tasks basedupon the maneuverability of the craft being pilotined. FOr example, if a tight turn has a difficulty of +6-10, you could use thre +6 for a highly maneerable craft (like an A-Wing), and use the +10 for "flying bricks".

That is kinda what WEG did in Start Warriors, and it works just fine.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinseyfs wrote:
Okay, as maneuverability is factored a bonus to the player's skill, you would need to completely adjust the maneuver codes of all the ships. On top of that, this will penalize pilots. Do you plan on adding accuracy dies codes to blasters as well?

Why would you need to adjust maneuverability?

I dont understand what you mean by 'penalize pilots'.

I have been thinking of a way put more focus on the Maneuverability stat. I cant say that I this would be my method of choice, but so far I dont have anything better.. Laughing
I would like the Maneuverability stat to be some kind of multiplyer, meaning that good pilots would benefit more than beginners from a maneuverable spaceship. However, multipliers seems a bit alien to the D6 system.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Why would you need to adjust maneuverability?

I dont understand what you mean by 'penalize pilots'.

I suspect becuase maneuverability is so low compared to pilot skill. The best MAN rating is about 4D, which means that most pilots will be over the limit.

ZzaphodD wrote:

I have been thinking of a way put more focus on the Maneuverability stat. I cant say that I this would be my method of choice, but so far I dont have anything better.. Laughing

Then this probably isn't what you want, becuase it would have the opposite effect. Since most pilots are over teh MAN cap, they will be using the average value and end up halving the effect of MAN codes.

For example, say you have two pilots with 6D skill. One in in an A-Wing (MAN 4D) and would use 5D with this system. The other is in a Y-Wing (MAN 2D), and would rol 4D with this system. Becuase of average the effects of MAN are halved.

ZzaphodD wrote:

I would like the Maneuverability stat to be some kind of multiplyer, meaning that good pilots would benefit more than beginners from a maneuverable spaceship. However, multipliers seems a bit alien to the D6 system.

And a bit cumbersome to implement in D6. You might want to try ther slding scale idea I mentioned above. It7s easly to take a few poijnts off (the difficulty based on maneuverability (for instance, taking the MAN dice off the difficulty.

That will make MAN much more important if/when the pilots start stacking maneuvers.
kinseyfs
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let me explain the penalize pilots aspect.

I play a pilot with Starfighter Piloting at 7D. With your method, the only way I can live up to the 7D skill is if I can find a ship with a 7D Maneuverability.

Now, we look at a gunslinger with a Blaster skill of 7D. His skill will always be 7D when he shoots, regardless of the quality and precision of the weapon.

What you are suggesting is a game mechanic that changes only one aspect of the game will only affect a certain group of character types. This penalizes those characters.

I understand what you are attempting. Perhaps, if you went with a modification of your first line to something like, "A pilot can only benefit from a maximum number of maneuverability dice equal to the corresponding piloting skill." This limits lower skill levels without penalizing the higher skill levels.

This can easily be translated over to any form of bonus dice granted by an object, like Fire Control.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinseyfs wrote:
I understand what you are attempting. Perhaps, if you went with a modification of your first line to something like, "A pilot can only benefit from a maximum number of maneuverability dice equal to the corresponding piloting skill." This limits lower skill levels without penalizing the higher skill levels.

This can easily be translated over to any form of bonus dice granted by an object, like Fire Control.

I have to say, this mechanic works even better in all aspects; it's simple, does what I intended it to do, and like you said, doesn't really penalize more skilled pilots. I'm glad I consulted the Pit about this; you guys are great to bounce ideas off of.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soniv wrote:
kinseyfs wrote:

I have to say, this mechanic works even better in all aspects; it's simple, does what I intended it to do, and like you said, doesn't really penalize more skilled pilots. I'm glad I consulted the Pit about this; you guys are great to bounce ideas off of.

That will sort out the real noobs, but will not let an expert handle an advanced fighter better than an average joe pilot.

IMO a beginner pilot should even be better off in a Z-95 than in a TIE Interceptor. Your avarage Joe in a F1 car wont outrun an experienced driver in a normal sports car on a track. This is what Im after.
kinseyfs
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably going to be the closest you will get to that.

Let's take your average Joe, piloting 2D, and put him in just about any fighter. out there. With this rule the highest he can ever roll is 4D.

Now let's look at proper starting Brash Pilot with a Pilot Skill of 6D. Even in a ship with no maneuverability, he will out perform the average Joe every time. Unless the Wild Die is hating that day.

Capping the amount of maneuver dice by the skill is the closest you can get.

Now if you really want to add a touch more realism. The F1 ship will have high difficulties for its movement rolls due to its complexity and speed. There are other areas you can affect to simulate this outside of the skill dice.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
That will sort out the real noobs, but will not let an expert handle an advanced fighter better than an average joe pilot.

IMO a beginner pilot should even be better off in a Z-95 than in a TIE Interceptor. Your avarage Joe in a F1 car wont outrun an experienced driver in a normal sports car on a track. This is what Im after.

I think you are trying for more nuance than is supportable by the system.

But try this.

To determine if a pilot is skilled enough to fly a given ship, compare the pilot's skill to the vehicle's maneuver x 2.
- So for a Z-95 which has 1D maneuver you need at least 2D piloting to fly effectively.
- For a TIE 2D maneuver you need at least 4D piloting to fly effectively.
- Therefore for an A-Wing 4D maneuver you need at least 8D piloting to fly effectively.

You could decrease the effective maneuver by 1D for every 1D the pilot is below the necessary skill. So a 6D pilot in an A-Wing is 2D short and thus only gets an effective maneuver of 2D rather than 4D.

Option: If you want to be a bit more generous and/or reward specialization, you could count specialization above base skill at double value. So a pilot with starfighter piloting 6D, starfighter piloting: A-wing 7D has 1D specialization over base which counts double so this is equivalent to an 8D skill (for purposes of ability to use the maneuver bonus) and thus the character can fully use the maneuverability of the A-wing.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

I think you are trying for more nuance than is supportable by the system.

But try this.

To determine if a pilot is skilled enough to fly a given ship, compare the pilot's skill to the vehicle's maneuver x 2.
- So for a Z-95 which has 1D maneuver you need at least 2D piloting to fly effectively.
- For a TIE 2D maneuver you need at least 4D piloting to fly effectively.
- Therefore for an A-Wing 4D maneuver you need at least 8D piloting to fly effectively.

You could decrease the effective maneuver by 1D for every 1D the pilot is below the necessary skill. So a 6D pilot in an A-Wing is 2D short and thus only gets an effective maneuver of 2D rather than 4D.

Option: If you want to be a bit more generous and/or reward specialization, you could count specialization above base skill at double value. So a pilot with starfighter piloting 6D, starfighter piloting: A-wing 7D has 1D specialization over base which counts double so this is equivalent to an 8D skill (for purposes of ability to use the maneuver bonus) and thus the character can fully use the maneuverability of the A-wing.

Im aware of that Im trying to cram out more of the system than what was intended.

I like your ideas, but as PCs usually dont use specializations (and in my games only specialized Pilots do (mostly Empire)) no PC will ever be able to fly the A-wing at full efficiency. This might not be a problem, but it really seems strange to build such a fighter for general military purposes. Or perhaps that can be a fun idea in itself. A fighter so advanced hardly any pilot can take full advantage of it...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, how about this for a starting point.

For each 'D' in maneuverability a ship adds +1 pip to the piloting roll for each D in piloting skill the pilot has. Any partial dice (pips) in manuverability are then added after the above calculation. So a 6D pilot with a 1D ship would add +6 to his piloting roll. If he would be behind the stick of a 2D fighter he would add +12. If hte ship would had 2D+1 in Maneuverability the pilotin bonus would be +13.

By the RAW a 6D pilot flying a 2D ship will have the same effective skill as a 5D pilot flying a 3D ship. With this system the 6D pilot will fly at 6D+12 and the 4D pilot at 5D+15. This means that the system does not unbalance the game totally, just make maneuverability a larger factor when two different ships are piloted by pilots with the same skill.

This is in more or less the above mentioned multiplier, but still based on the D6 philosophy so to speak.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Im aware of that Im trying to cram out more of the system than what was intended.

I like your ideas, but as PCs usually dont use specializations (and in my games only specialized Pilots do (mostly Empire)) no PC will ever be able to fly the A-wing at full efficiency. This might not be a problem, but it really seems strange to build such a fighter for general military purposes. Or perhaps that can be a fun idea in itself. A fighter so advanced hardly any pilot can take full advantage of it...

In our campaign at least half of the PCs specialize in something.

If you like the fighter that is so advanced hardly anyone can use it, then that does make specialization more valuable/necessary (for good or ill).

If maneuver x 2 doesn't give you the effect you want, try

Option 2: Use maneuver x 1.5. That way piloting 6D would be good enough for the A-Wing.

Option 3: Any specialization in A-wing totally at least 4D (professional level) is good enough to fully utilize the vessel. Then all but the best A-wing pilots would need to specialize. That seems like it could make sense given how specialized and wacky fast and maneuverable the A-wing is.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Maneuverability and Piloting House Rule Suggestion Reply with quote

While I certainly support any GM using whatever rules works for him, I thought this statement was humerous:
Soniv wrote:
simply adding maneuverability dice to the piloting skill seemed counterintuitive to how piloting works.

I thought back to my days playing X-Wing...

Don't you mean, counterintuitive to how piloting works... in those video games? When I first started reading your post, I thought you were a real pilot and were going to compare real life to the game mechanics.

Just to be Devil's Advocate here: How do you know that those piloting games didn't have it wrong while Star Wars 2E had it right? 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: