The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Request for pdf help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Request for pdf help Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Oh, yeah, and a good majority of the books are available online and not outrageously expensive despite their rarity. I never did get the entire 2nd edition line during the 90's. And when I was very down on my luck in the late 90's, I down-sized my collection to about half the line. Then when I recovered and decided that I wanted to re-buy the ones I had sold and track down the ones I never had to complete my collection, I began searching for them.

It took me about a year, but with only a few blanks being filled in my local Half-Price Books stores, I was able to complete my collection through eBay and Amazon.com, and I always paid less than $20 for everything, even hardbacks. I doubled my collection from half to full in one year's time. So if someone seriously wants to get books they don't have, you may not have instant gratification. But if you keep a patient watch for those things online (and periodically check your local used books stores if available in your area), you may find they will turn up here and there and not be too expensive.

So for those that want books they don't have at all, there are alternatives to illlegal downloading.

You are dead on, you can find any title you want from the line on Amazon, MOST are fairly well priced but a couple of them are completely out the window insane in price with my above mentioned Stock ships being one of them. I have over the last year and half been filling the holes in my collection in preparation of begining this new campaign, and a refocus of my gaming time away from the Star Wars Miniatures game back to the D6 SW RPG with the miniatures just enhancing the game. I have found most of them like you say at a fair price. The main problem I run into is condition. I would rather spend the extra money for a really nice copy, that is going to last, and not be so beat up it is a lost cause the moment I obtain it. So on Amazon I like to buy from the "new" list if available, or on the used "like new" condition. Even then I will occasionaly get a "like new" book that has been pretty beat, and have to contact the seller, and figure out, how in the world a partially torn off cover, or why a guy named Michael Lambert has scriblled his name and game notes into a "like new" book? So the one problem with Amazon is everyones definition of "New" or "Like new", or even "good" varies by the person, and you are buying items sight on seen. I bought a "good" copy of the Rebel Spec force handbook(Rules of engagement) for a very low price, and when it arrived I seriously doubted it had evern been opened, it evensmelled new. Used book stores are great, as are gaming, comic, and hobby stores that sell old rpg books. I have picked up some real gems that way, and hope to find Stock Ships someday in the bargain bin at any of those, that would make my decade.

The books are out there, I don't have a problem paying for them, and I look for them all the time, I need copies of Stock Ships, Hideouts and Strongholds, Mos Eisley Adventure Box Set, Star Wars Introductory Adventure Game Box Set, and 3 adventure journals, but have everything else. So if you come across those for a good deal , and they are complete and in good shape, drop me a pm, I would be overly happy to add them to my collection.

and That is why you fail...
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo... Hidehouts and Strongholds has been a strange book indeed. People put that into a collector's category big time. I've seen bids go as high as $120 on eBay. Personally, I never found the book so horribly useful that I would spend more than $15 on it. I snagged my copy for $4.95 on New Years Eve. (Never put anything up for auction so that it ends on New Years).

Stock Ships is another high-dollar item. I bought mine for $20. I haven't regretted it. I love deckplans, and the little background snippets are great for mining for adventure ideas.

Really, though, I've found that snagging the book you want for the price you want is just a matter of diligence and patience. Condition sometimes varies, but I've got quite a background in book repair, so seldom have I found something that was so damaged that I couldn't put humpty dumpty back together again.
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fair priced Hideouts & Strongholds on my radar, I came across it the other day, I just am in a spending freeze till the end of the month, thank you MR. 3183 dollar transmission repair!!

So spending money is at a premium till then. But once I have restocked my money with a couple of pay cheques, it hopefully will be mine.(I have the seller holding it, I have bought many things from them in the past, but you never know some dude may offer him double).
Wish me luck!!

cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, which Adventure Journals do you need? I've got spares of a few of them.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I just have to say, to cover this board- that the practice of downloading pdf's is not acceptable.

However, since I cannot do anything to you..... I smacked the air beside me to represent me smacking you....

There, did you feel that? Rolling Eyes

Isn't it the practice of downloading PDFs of offical sources (IE Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook, Movie Trilogy Sourcebook, Wanted by Cracken, etc) while the fan PDFs (i.e. Gry's stats PDFs or the various D20 to D6 conversion PDFs) are ok?

Wanted Poster
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just because eveyone's definitions of book conditions vary, I also usually never go below "like new".

I agree with chesh that H&S is just ok. But I love the Mos Eisley Adventure Box Set, and the Star Wars Introductory Adventure Game Box Set. I think I did pay more than $20 for the ME box set because it was brand new, still in the original wrapper (and worth every penny).

Good luck on getting those.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
By the way, which Adventure Journals do you need? I've got spares of a few of them.

3,4,5,13,15 are the ones I need, 13 and 3 because they are in horrible condition and aren't really salvagable. I dont have any other copies of them so I hold on to them hoping to one day upgrade to nicer copies. I found them in a Goodwill a few years back, and they were destroyed thrn, but I paid only a quarter each.

Last edited by GMgreatness on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:

Isn't it the practice of downloading PDFs of offical sources (IE Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook, Movie Trilogy Sourcebook, Wanted by Cracken, etc) while the fan PDFs (i.e. Gry's stats PDFs or the various D20 to D6 conversion PDFs) are ok?

ummm.. well... the books containing official stats are fan made, but they're using stats that are WEG made. They certainly are in a different category of intellectual property laws, in so far as you're not violating federal or international laws.

The conversion PDFs are in a completely different category. Those stats are fan made and the images contained there in are within the "fair use" category. There is considerably little case that WotC has for those books being somehow a violation of their copyrights. Rodney himself owns a website that hosts conversions from one system to another. I'm no lawyer, but I can't think of why the conversion books would run you into any sort of trouble at all whatsoever. Host 'em and post 'em.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: