The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How do you handle Martial Arts..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How do you handle Martial Arts.. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Contegolibertas
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Deep flaw with skills Reply with quote

The Martial Arts and Lightsaber skills definitely tickle a key problem with SW D6.

1) SW D6 is made simple. It is intended to be cinematic and flashy. Pick a difficulty, pick a skill and roll.

I have practiced martial arts for numerous years. It is hard to impossible to quantify the skills involved into a single RPG skill. A simple example is technique or styles of focus. Example "Me": I am trained in both karate and jujitsu. I'm only a Green belt, but I spar on the level of a black belt. However, my punches are faster than many black belts. But their kicks are better than my kicks.

2) Style vs Style
Tae Kwon Do styles emphasize kicking alot. Which is good against another Tae Kwon Do person...but not Shotokan Karate. We'll punch them in the face before they can get their foot off the ground.

3) Firearms vs Blasters (solution?)
Cinematic-ally and possibly realistically, a Gunslinger with the blaster could do the same point and shoot with a firearm....right? Lets just say no.
How about separate skills? Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Jujitsu, Kung-Fu etc. And brawling is the generic street-fighter skill. Note: Decent street-fighters actually utilize Martial Art techniques that they discovered for themselves.

4) Brawling 5D then MA not specialized
How about it has the requirements of a (A) skill. However, doesn't cost the same as an advanced skill but the cost of a regular skill?

5) Purchasing Techniques
Same as above, however each technique needs to be purchased. Say each costs 5 cp a piece?

There is various other things you could do. For example, if a person wants to just beef up brawling and 'know' how to fight all styles, be really strict with him. Require him to find teaches who 'know' all the styles. The same thing applies to other skills. A character wants to raise his blaster to 6D, but only ever uses a blaster pistol (No light repeater, E-Web etc).

CL
bruz
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of martial arts do you practiced? Or what is your perfect choice of martial arts? Wink
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a bit futile to try to use too much experience from 'real life' martial arts in a combat system as simple as D6. If you should try that to any other effect than just favouring 'your' styles you should have to pool experience from many practitioners. And we all know the age old 'my style is the most effective' dilemma... Laughing

The major reason why Im even looking into this is because I have a player that want to learn Martial Arts in the game and use it as a complement to lightsaber combat. Of course, one could just use Brawling and wing it when he wants to do specific maneuvers. However, to give the sense that the character is actually learning something specific and apart from 'normal' brawling a specific skill is a perfect tool.

Specialization is out the window, as it is not limited enough to warrant the 'cheap' advancement (as pointed out earlier). Overall I dont like specializations because of the munchkin factor involved in some cases.

So, for me, that leaves Martial Arts as an Advanced skill. The skill adds on top of the Brawling skill, but is used on its own to perform specific techniques (sweeps, throws, spectacualr attacks, etc). Given the fact that it requires 5D in Brawling (which is about professional level), also means that at an beginner level most martial arts probably fall under the Brawling skill (ie general techniques). This could reflect that a large part of the 'skill' of a (real world) martial artist is general experience with unarmed combat and physical training. This makes it rather easy to learn a new martial arts basic techniques.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruz wrote:
What kind of martial arts do you practiced?

Contegolibertas wrote:
"Me": I am trained in both karate and jujitsu.

I feel the that the "Brawling" skill is just your good ol' fashion fisticuffs, that we see in playgrounds, bar room brawls and Indiana Jones. The skill comes more from experience from being in these types of fights than any sort of "official" training.

I defintely agree that Martial Arts should be an advanced skill. Either each style could be a separate a specialization of "Martial Arts", or each Martial Arts style could be its own advanced skill. I've never used martial arts in my game because I don't personally know much about them, but after becoming a fan of Jackie Chan, etc., I'd like to include it my game going forward. I would think that martial arts gives the character specific moves and bonuses not available with everyday standard brawling.

Contegolibertas, you being an expert in two martial arts, I'd love to hear more of your ideas for the skills.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see Martial Arts as an advance skill. Make it it's own skill if you think specialization is too quick.

Personally I see major benefits from Martial Arts coming quickly. But that works for us.

As to brawling- I agree, that's bar room fighting, Indiana Jones stuff. Effective, but not trained.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main beef with making it an advanced skill is the 5D brawling requirement. Really, that doesn't make sense to me. When I first started in Martial Arts I didn't know the first thing about how to throw a punch. When I would goof around with my friends and we'd "spar without training" I was just goofy, laughable, and just plain bad. It wasn't too long after I started that I really caught on, and exelled beyond my rank. I was about half of the rank of a black belt, but I gave every single black belt a really hard time in tournament sparring.

If you want to have a requirement, it should be really low, such as 2D or 3D.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people read too much into the name of the brawling skill. Its the skill for unarmed combat. Martial arts is a type of unarmed combat. Martial arts should be included in brawling - just my feeling. Specializing in martial arts is clearly a cheap way of getting cheap brawling but specialzing in a particular martial arts manoeuvre has worked for our games.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
My main beef with making it an advanced skill is the 5D brawling requirement. Really, that doesn't make sense to me. When I first started in Martial Arts I didn't know the first thing about how to throw a punch. When I would goof around with my friends and we'd "spar without training" I was just goofy, laughable, and just plain bad. It wasn't too long after I started that I really caught on, and exelled beyond my rank. I was about half of the rank of a black belt, but I gave every single black belt a really hard time in tournament sparring.

If you want to have a requirement, it should be really low, such as 2D or 3D.

Thats why I see the 5D brawling requirement as 'basic' martial arts training. I then use the MA skill to perform specific maneuvers, which to be honest is rather difficult to manage in 'real life' hand to hand combat. Having trained a few martial arts myself (with focus on Wushu, Thai Boxing and Sport Ju Jutsu), my thought is that the basic levels are not that different to being good at basic brawling, even if the actual look of thte techniques differ.

So, someone with 4D+1 in Brawling could have trained MA for a couple of years, but not enough to achieve a mastery level to perform more 'flashy' cinematic techniques in 'real combat' (which is not 'sparring'. Theres a h*ll of a lot of difference when you opponent is actually trying to hurt you or just knock you out).

Last edited by ZzaphodD on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like fast and easy rules so we use:

Martial arts skill

Martial arts (A) (prerequisite skills: Brawling and Brawling parry at 5D)

You use your martial arts skill as a "pool" to add to other skills in 1D increments. You can add 1D increments to brawling and brawling parry rolls and to damage rolls for successful brawling attacks.

For example, if you have 4D in your martial arts skill, you could add +1D to your brawling roll, +1D to your brawling parry roll and +2D when rolling damage for a successful brawling attack. This needs to be declared at the beginning of the round, when declaring your actions.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gollummen wrote:
I like fast and easy rules so we use:

Martial arts skill

Martial arts (A) (prerequisite skills: Brawling and Brawling parry at 5D)

You use your martial arts skill as a "pool" to add to other skills in 1D increments. You can add 1D increments to brawling and brawling parry rolls and to damage rolls for successful brawling attacks.

For example, if you have 4D in your martial arts skill, you could add +1D to your brawling roll, +1D to your brawling parry roll and +2D when rolling damage for a successful brawling attack. This needs to be declared at the beginning of the round, when declaring your actions.

Id pernonally raise the cost to increase damage to keep MA attacks dealing lower damage than swords at least at starting levels. Perhaps you need to use 2D to increase damage by 1D.
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mind giving a bonus to the few players that try to get up close and personal in the heat of battle Very Happy
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one ever comments on the MA style introduced in the Shadows of the Empire book that allows you to split your dice pool between hit and damage.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'm surprised no one ever comments on the MA style introduced in the Shadows of the Empire book that allows you to split your dice pool between hit and damage.

Isnt that what gollumen is doing?
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly. He's using as a pool which other skills can draw upon. In the Shandows of the Empire book it allowed you to develop a pool of dice that you got to split between hit and damage. For example, if I had 8D in martial arts, I could select 2D to hit, for 6D damage, or 4D to hit for 4D damage.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Not exactly. He's using as a pool which other skills can draw upon. In the Shandows of the Empire book it allowed you to develop a pool of dice that you got to split between hit and damage. For example, if I had 8D in martial arts, I could select 2D to hit, for 6D damage, or 4D to hit for 4D damage.

That is very similar (if not identical) to one of the optional rules for damage in the SpecForce Handbook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: