The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cut WEG Sourcebooks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Cut WEG Sourcebooks Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
I seem to have stumbled across pdf files of draft versions of Star Wars Adventure Journals 16 and 17. I can't remember from where I obtained them. Pretty interesting - they even include game stats and full story text - some of which appears to have never been published. Does anybody know the story behind these draft documents?

cheshire wrote:
If my information is correct, these documents were being worked on when the adventure journal got canceled. Basically, the SWAJ weren't doing so hot in the subscriptions, and they just weren't making enough money to continue. It also got harder to get good talent to write for them, and so the things wound up going by the wayside.

However, they worked on them months in advance. They didn't just do them one at a time. So someone who worked at WEG had the stuff more or less collected, and decided to give them to Starwars.com hyperspace for exclusive publication. You know how things go with "exclusive" and the internet, though. So now they're all over the place.

I think that WEG's impending bankruptcy was also a factor in the Adventure Journal's demise.

Cheshire, I was aware that AJ articles were posted on Hyperspace but didn't pay too much attention because I have all of the originally published AJs (1-15).

But just to clarify, are you saying that the unpublished content from issues #16 and 17 was also put up on Hyperspace?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my understanding (thought it may be incorrect) that the unpublished 16 and 17 information was also posted on hyperspace.

I don't have a hyperspace subscription, so I can't be 100% sure.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The draft pdfs that I ran across are not from Star Wars Hyperspace, although some of the material in them may have been published on Hypserspace. They appear to be rough draft forms, with notations and highlighting, but the material for the segments included appears to be complete.

Here's what I've pieced together, using Wookieepedia and the draft pdfs that I found.

Star Wars Adventure Journal 16
- pdf is 236 pages
Gathering Shadows - This short story by Kathy Burdette appears to have been published in Tales from the New Republic. I'd have to compare the two documents to be sure, but the pdf version appears to be complete, and includes D6 stats for Jai Raventhorn and Dirk Harkness, and includes several illustrations.
Corellian Translines - Illustrated article by Chris Hind on many facets of mass transit space travel - don't think this was ever published. Includes D6 stats for Starport security guards, Incom W-33 Star Ferry (similar, but slightly different than W-23 stats), Modified Gallofree Yards Medium Transport, Modified YT-1300, Corellian Engineering Corporation Corvette, DuroTech Mneffe-class Superluminal Shuttle, Shobquix Yards Lady-class Luxury Liner, and MC80 Star Cruiser. Also includes flight itinerary from Corellian Hub.
A Servant of the Empire - Short story by James L. Cambias. Doesn't appear to have been published, but looks to be complete in draft pdf. Includes D6 info on Zahir Asteroid Station (Vohad System), the planet Shkali, the smuggler Rav Mace, the modified Ghtroc 720 Freighter Ordinary Trader, Imperial Commander Ulan Panatic, and Imperial bureaucrat Varden Quil.
Hutt & Seek - short story written by Chris Cassidy and Tish Pahl (with special thanks to Timothy Zahn), apparently later published in Tales from the New Republic. Illustrated by Joe Corroney. Includes D6 stats for smuggler Fenig Nabon, con artist Ghitsa Dogder, and Mistryl Shadow Guards Shada D'ukal and Dunc T'racen,
Credit Denied - short story by George R. Strayton, with illustrations by Joe Corroney. D6 stats on mercenaries Rendra Madix, Nopul Etrefa, modified Ghtroc 720 Zoda, Nikto mercenary Vakir'sa'jaina, Dressellian Oro Memis, MerenData RM-2020 espionage droid Scrud, Weequay ambassador Uli Aaregil, Weequay Minister Pon Svale, the planet Sriluur, SimCronics MagnaForce Security Shield, custom-made sensor/scanner jammer.
The Garos System - article by Charlene Newcomb and Steve Miller, with illustrations by Steve Bryant. Includes game info on system including planet Sundari and the moon Garos IV.
Smuggler's Log on Smuggler's Safe Holes, with info on the coastal caves of Wroona and Dead Bantha Gulch on Tatooine.
Special Report on the Smithsonian Institution honoring George Lucas, written by Tish Pahl.
Ad on the Star Wars exhibit at the Air and Space Museum in D.C.

Star Wars Adventure Journal 17
- pdf is 162 pages
Jade Solitaire - Written by Timothy Zahn, it appears to have been published in Tales from the New Republic. Illustrations by Matt Busch. Includes D6 stats for Mara Jade, Ja Bardrin, Sansia Bardrin, the Drach'nam, Chay Praysh, Drach'nam guards, Drach'nam alien species (new stats to add to the Aliens statsbook), the Bith Si'rin Blath, Krizar (new stats for the Creatures statsbook, for both pupal and adult stage), the planet Torpris, Bio Tech BlastHand concealed carpal blaster unit, Jade's Fire (Winning Gamble).
The Art of Infiltration - Special Ops article by John Beyer and Kathy Burdette, apparently published in Star Wars Gamer 9. Illustrations by Joe Corroney. D6 info on the planet Laertos, HackCom 3000 cylinder slicer device, Telex-Delcor Tranq 25 HV Pistol (tranquilizer pistol), modified Telex-Delcor Tranq 25 HV blaster carbine, modified BothlCorp Labor Droid Remote Glove, ISB agent Mylesgood, ISB trooper, and Ubrikkian LD-5 land speeder (new vehicle, I believe).
Shifting Gears - Short story by Jean Rabe, illustrated by Joe Corroney. It looks like this was never published. D6 stats on C1-EZ8 customized Imperial assassin droid.
Love Is a Warm Blaster - short story written by Paul Danner and illustrated by Talon Dunning. It looks like the story might have been posted on the internet somewhere. D6 stats on retired NRI agent M'Kyas Love, modified Caliban Model X heavy blaster pistol, NRI special agent Daniera Karmony, Imperial double-agent assassin Cabe Maquez, Ubese entrepreneur Luu-Mah "Thermal" Mah-Luu, and Scarlet Guard Mercenaries.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You found the draft pdfs? Are they available for download?
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I seem to have stumbled across the pdf drafts - I'm not 100% they are authentic, but they appear to be so. I need to get clarification from an admin as to whether it's acceptable to post a link to these two pdf documents.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Yes, I seem to have stumbled across the pdf drafts - I'm not 100% they are authentic, but they appear to be so. I need to get clarification from an admin as to whether it's acceptable to post a link to these two pdf documents.

It isn't any longer. I have the same files. As mentioned elsewhere, I can provide info on them if PMed.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 208 of the SWAJ 16 draft may provide some clue as to the origin of these documents. The last paragraph may imply that these were prepared by the Star Wars Fanboy Association, which included/includes several of the former WEG staff.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted an inquiry on the draft Adventure Journals on the Star Wars message boards, but have yet to receive a response.
http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=27256&tstart=0
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Thos are not abandoned. They are, well, on a severe state of hiatus...

There was a bit of an effort to make the Rogue Squadron Sourcebook at one point, but that I think got abandoned for the time being.

My now 20 month old son has pulled me away from the X-Wing Sourcebook. Maybe I should get that rolling again.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:
Gry Sarth wrote:
Thos are not abandoned. They are, well, on a severe state of hiatus...

There was a bit of an effort to make the Rogue Squadron Sourcebook at one point, but that I think got abandoned for the time being.

My now 20 month old son has pulled me away from the X-Wing Sourcebook. Maybe I should get that rolling again.
Starfighter combat has always been my pet favorite thing in SW. I would be really interested in seeing some optional expanded dogfighting rules included in this supplement. I offer any help I can with this. Right now I'm looking at adapting some ideas from the Saga system.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
Starfighter combat has always been my pet favorite thing in SW. I would be really interested in seeing some optional expanded dogfighting rules included in this supplement. I offer any help I can with this. Right now I'm looking at adapting some ideas from the Saga system.

Mine, too. I always wanted to be Wedge in the cockpit, not Luke with a lightsaber.

If you can still find it and get your hands on it, the Star Warriors boxed set was fully compatible with SWd6 and gave much more detailed starfighter combat.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally did get a short reply from Leland Chee, the keeper of the Lucasfilm Star Wars Holocron Database, about Star Wars Adventure Journals 16 and 17:
http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=152583&start=2160

Last edited by Red 331 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ccatkins
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got a copy of the PDFs that they are willing to share?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
I finally did get a short reply from Leland Chee, the keeper of the Lucasfilm Star Wars Holocron Database, about Star Wars Adventure Journals 16 and 17:
http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=152583&start=2160

He simply says that they aren't a part of the Holocron canon, and doesn't mention anything about concerns Lucasfilm might have about their availability on the web.

Given Lucasfilm's apparent lack of interest, and the fact that the draft versions are basically complete in terms of material - just not edited nicely - would this be a perfect project for the Rancor Pit folks to tackle (formatting them similarly to the earlier SWAJ editions that were published)? Perhaps they could only include those portions that weren't subsequently published in other materials?

That's hardly a carte blanche reply. It seemed he was more referring to whether it's considered "canon" or not, not whether there would be legal ramifications if the material got published online.

I think until you get more definitive proof that it would be okay to revamp any issues 16 or 17 of the AJs that were previously unpublished, it's best to stay away from any other material that may be considered severely infringing on copyright.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Grimace - it would probably require explicit permission from Lucasfilm to include the SWAJ materials. In my question to Mr. Chee, I also asked if Lucasfilm had concerns with drafts of SWAJ 16 and 17 being available on the web, which he did not respond to, but his lack of response doesn't necessarily imply that they aren't concerned. I was hoping for a more direct response - particularly since these drafts appear to be widespread across the web now - but perhaps the question will spur Lucasfilm into doing something to make the material available. It seems a shame to let that work go to waste.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: