The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Those who create conversions: Have you ever played d20?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Those who create conversions: Have you ever played d20? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Those who create conversions: Have you ever played d20? Reply with quote

I'm just curious. I know most of you on this board are die hard D6 fans like me.

I buy a lot of the d20 books for the info and even some pics, but defintely not the game mechanics. I've never played Star Wars d20, but I have played D&D 3.5 and mostly hated it. I like to do my own Star Wars conversions to D6 if needed, but you geniuses give me a big jump start and I'll always refer to the wonderful Star Wars D6 Tools you all create first.

I was just wondering if any of you play Star Wars d20 also, or have ever tried it? I have to admit that as much as I hate the system, a part of me is a little interested in playing Star Wars d20, at least once, just to say I have tried it. But I'm sure I'd hate it so I may not bother if I ever actually get the chance.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played SW d20. Don't really see the point in even trying. D6 is my system, I'm happy with it. The fact that it's not published anymore doesn't change that reality in any way. It baffles me when I hear people talking about this or that system as being "dead" just because there are no more new books being published on it. A system is not dead as long as people are playing it. RPG is not like some other fleeting medias where you have to keep on pumping out new material to keep it alive. My first years of SW gaming where carried out with only an incomplete photocopy of the 2nd ed rulebook. Nothing else. And we never felt it lacking.

Back on topic, I do play D&D, a mix of several different versions, and I like it very much. I think it fits the setting and it's nice to have different systems for different genres. Overall I still prefer D6 though.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Never played SW d20. Don't really see the point in even trying. D6 is my system, I'm happy with it. The fact that it's not published anymore doesn't change that reality in any way. It baffles me when I hear people talking about this or that system as being "dead" just because there are no more new books being published on it. A system is not dead as long as people are playing it. RPG is not like some other fleeting medias where you have to keep on pumping out new material to keep it alive. My first years of SW gaming where carried out with only an incomplete photocopy of the 2nd ed rulebook. Nothing else. And we never felt it lacking.

Back on topic, I do play D&D, a mix of several different versions, and I like it very much. I think it fits the setting and it's nice to have different systems for different genres. Overall I still prefer D6 though.

I can honestly say I like Saga Edition D20 SW ALMOST as much as D6 SW... and think that WOTC mostly (that's the key word: MOSTLY) got it right this time around..... still slightly prefer D6 though... Depends on my mood what I'll play..
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out starwars d20, i figured it deserved a chance but what i found is the pidgeonholing of the "Character-class" and "Character-levels" just dose not suit the starwars universe, and since these are integral elements in d20, starwars and the d20 system will never coexist in my roleplaying universe.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a moment I thought that maybe Saga edition had brought a better philosophy to the d20 engine. But after seeing the disgusting "Follower" mechanic introduced in the Clone Wars book, I'm convinced they just don't get it.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
For a moment I thought that maybe Saga edition had brought a better philosophy to the d20 engine. But after seeing the disgusting "Follower" mechanic introduced in the Clone Wars book, I'm convinced they just don't get it.

Well to be fair D6 has some official Rules for stuff I'd disallow myself in a game I ran itself.... *Shrugs* After all in role playing.. All rules are optional.. if you don't like something don't use it..... I've seen that with every game system..... Use what you like and dump the rest is what I say...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. But I never saw a D6 rule that I disagreed about the the philosophy of it. That's what irks me obout this specific instance, the philosophy of it seems to want to turn the tabletop RPG into an automated video-game.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I know. But I never saw a D6 rule that I disagreed about the the philosophy of it. That's what irks me obout this specific instance, the philosophy of it seems to want to turn the tabletop RPG into an automated video-game.

I don't find the Followers Rules so bad (it's very useful for running big ships for instance) But I'd expect any PC's in my game to actully treat their followers as "Real People" and not just cannon fodder (this is where good RPing comes in) or i'd disallow it... I was actually one of the people asking for such rules myself... *shrug*.... It comes down to style of play.... Some players LIKE running big encounters where their characters have a chance to effect things and that makes it easier in SAGA.. Shrugs... I never judge a system based on a a single rule i didn't like... and there are a few things in D6 I've disagreed with the philosophy of myself.... The fact was People were ASKING for the followers rules so they gave em to them. *Shrugs*

That said I love both versions..... but like D6 just a little more.

As a side note I won't touch D&D 4th Edition with a 10 Meter pole (I prefer AD&D 2nd Edition to that)... so I don't like EVERYTHING WOTC does....
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't really want to argue Saga rules around here. It was just something that jumped at me as being very counter-roleplaying and irked me.

Bottom line, though, the one thing that breaks it for Star Wars is doubtlessly the class system.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Well, I don't really want to argue Saga rules around here. It was just something that jumped at me as being very counter-roleplaying and irked me.

Bottom line, though, the one thing that breaks it for Star Wars is doubtlessly the class system.
True, it fails there (But does better then the old RCR), which is why i prefer the old D6 rules slightly more as the are more customizable when it comes to Player Characters....
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D20 is the best system, hands down, as long as we're talking about systems for computer games like KOTOR. When it comes to table top, give me d6 any day.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not particularly active in the conversions happening here, but I have done my fair share of conversions.
I played a couple sessions of the revised d20 rules. I kind of agree, character classes and levels just don't work for Star Wars.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not fond of D20 in any form. I've tried every iteration of D&D (except for 4th) and I never liked the cookie cutter nature of it. When I do use class/level systems, I prefer more open and customizable ones like HARP. I've read through enough of the Star Wars D20 versions, including SAGA, to determine that they all stink of fail to me, in comparison to the D6 versions.

I also don't bother converting the new D20 stuff for my own use, as the eras I like to play in are covered reasonably well by WEG stuff. I read that first book in the newer run of EU stuff where they killed Chewie, and thought it sucked, so I don't use anything from that point on, and since I thought the prequel stuff was of a similar lack of quality, I don't use it, either.

This is not to say that the conversions done here at the Pit are substandard. On the contrary, I think that they are excellent works, and to be proud of. My problems are solely with the source material.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally someone else that thinks the star-wars universe was better off before all of the so called "Official cannon."retcons.

I think that george lucus has lived in the hollywood world for to long and he has lost touch with what made starwars great to begin with.

Sorry about the rant but i thaught it needed to be said.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it and hated it. Charater creation took far too long and when we got into combat, that took an age to resolve. Nope give me WEG.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: