The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Xim era starships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Xim era starships Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhhhmmmmm. Sounds interesting.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xims revenge: both the name of a prototype droid starship and the adventure featuring it, more on that later. Xim's revenge was designed and launched after the fall of xims empire, designed to operate alone, use stealth, hit hard and attack hutt shipping.

Prime directives:
1)Rescue Xim.
2)Obey xim.
3)Restore Xim's empire.
4)Cause as much damage as possible to the hutt.
5)Maintain secrecy about true objectives.

Equipped with the best tech available in xims collapsing empire

Plot synposis:
A cadre of Xims loyal scientists and engineeres try to avenge and if he is still alive rescue there lord. To this end they create a starship equipped with their best technology. A new prototype droid brain, Mytag crystal sensors, Kiirium enhanced armour, a full contingent of support craft and droids as well as several advanced weapons including capital sacle beam cannons, 4 Heavy repulser mass-drivers and thousands of pressure bomb's. This was topped off by the best stealth technoolgy available.

The new ship performes magnificently and uses it's tactical and strategic skills and manages to get close to the captive xim but the world is to heavily defended and it's presence is decovered, it must withdraw but it will return with a better plan. After a breif firefight it retreats with only minor damage easy to repair, this minor damage however causes the hyperdrive's relitivistic sheilding to fail, this catapults the ship forward 25000 years through time.

Stealth system.
Really three overlapping systems.
The first system consists of power baffles designed to phase out the ships internal power emmisions or mimic those of another ship.
The second system is a set of repulser feild generators that when active cancel out the ships gravity feild or copy another ships.
The third system is a holographic projection system that allows the hybrid droid brain to cloak it's true form(visually at least.) by appearing as another ship or faking damage and the like. The holographic system cannot render the ship invisible only change it's appearance

The weakness of the stealth systems is that thay are designed to fool 25000 year old sensors so active scans are liable to reveal the ship for what it is(assuming you can find it to begin with).

I will post the stats and adventure plan soon.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting plot line. You'll have to tell us how it goes. I'm sure you've already got something in mind, and it seems like you're shooting for something "time appropriate", but make sure you make it technologically advanced for ITS time, rather than the time it gets catapulted to.

A ship like that I can see being a handful for small size and maybe even mid-sized cap ships in the "now" time, but don't make it so powerful that it could go toe to toe with a Star Destroyer and survive or anything like that. Xim's ships were powerful for their day, but they should still be overshadowed by stuff we see in the movies. And this advanced Xim's Revenge I can see being way powerful compared to ships of it's time, and even a threat to some ships of the "now" time, but I wouldn't think it would be a super-uber ship compared to "now". So keep that in mind. (which I'm guessing you already have)
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry it's the most bad @$$ ship of it's time but is less powerful than a modern ship, well baring it's unique systems which are still made from xim era technology.

If you don't mind helping me out a little more i need d6 stats for pressure bombs and capital scale mass drivers.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XIM'S REVENGE

Craft:
Type: Prototype Stealth Destroyer
Scale: Capital
Length: 350 meters
Skill: Archaic Ship Piloting
Crew: Hybrid droid brain(See below) plus 1200 War-Robots, 40 Light Infantry Vehicles, 4 Colossus Tanks, 75 H10 Fighters and 25 Repulsor Tanks 20 Assault Shuttles 20 Probe Droids
Crew Skill: Hybrid droid brain(See below)
Cargo capacity: 7500 metric tons
Consumables: Inf
Cost: Not available
Hyperdrive Multiplyer: x6
Hyperdrive backup: x24
Nav computer: Yes +10 to astrogation difficulty due to lack of nav beacon's and +5 for out dated starcharts
Manuverability: 3D
Space: 5
Hull: 4D+2
Sheilds: 2D
Sensors:
Passive: 20/1D
Scan: 80/2D
Search: 180/3D+1
Focus: 3/4D
Weapons:
Stealth system: 2D
Really three overlapping systems.
The first system consists of power baffles designed to phase out the ships internal power emmisions or mimic those of another ship.
The second system is a set of repulser feild generators that when active cancel out the ships gravity feild or copy another ships.
The third system is a holographic projection system that allows the hybrid droid brain to cloak it's true form(visually at least.) by appearing as another ship or faking damage and the like. The holographic system cannot render the ship invisible only change it's appearance
1)The hybrid droid brain makes a diguise check +2D of the stealth system, this becomes the difficulty to see that somthing is wrong.
2)New ship profiles can be added to the data base only after they have been scanned by at leased the scan sensors.
3)The ship must behave as the current diguise would indicate(i.e. a deralict should use no active sensors) or the illusion fails.
4)Their are currently no modern ships in it's database but it has access to the technical data of all known ships from it's time.
5)Modern sensors get a +10 to their sensor roll to defeat the stealth system.
Prototype Pulse Wave cannon:
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 1(Droid brain.)
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Rate: 1/3
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 3-20/75/150
Atmosphere Range: 6-40/150/300km
Damage: 8D/7D/5D (blast diminishes as it travels)
Note:Due ot power constraints the pulse wave cannon cannot be used with any of the stealth systems and needs 3 rounds to charge
4 Massdriver cannons: (Fire linked)
Fire Arc: 4 Front
Fire Control: 2D+1
Space Range: 3-15/30/70
Atmosphere Range: 6-30/60/140km
Ammo: 20000(Standard) 400(Pressure Bomb)
Damage: 5D+2(Standard) 7D+1(Pressure Bomb)(6D damage single bomb)
Note: The damage for the pressure bomb should be treated as a concussion blast
4 Ion beams:
Fire Arc: 4 Turret
Fire Control: 2D+2
Space Range: 1-5/20/40
Atmosphere Range: 2-10/40/80km
Damage: 4D+2(ion)
12 Beam cannons:
Fire Arc: 12 Turret
Space Range: 3-9/30/60
Atmosphere Range: 6-18/60/120km
Damage: 3D
12 Beam tubes:
Scale: Starfighter
Fire Arc: 12 Turret
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 1D+2
Space Range: 1-3\10\20
Atmosphere Range: 2-6\20\40km
Damage: 3D
1 tractor beam projector:
Fire Arc: Turret
Space Range: 1-5/10/20
Atmosphere Range: 2-10/20/40km
Damage:4D

Support craft:
Assault Shuttles: These craft carry xims war robots to the battlefield each can hold 50 war robots at a time

Probe droids: Effectively an H10 fighter with a droid brain, a long range receiver/transmitter, 2D of sensor baffling, a holographic camera, improved sensors, a decoy system and all of it's weapons removed. These are used as scout craft and to provide additional data adn if required sensor decoys.
CRAFT: Synsoch systems H10 Fighter
TYPE: Interceptor
SCALE: Starfighter
LENGTH: 6m
SKILL: Starfighter Pilot
PASSENGERS: None
CARGO CAPACITY: 40 kg
CONSUMABLES: 1 day
HYPERDRIVE MULTIPLYER: None
HYPERDRIVE BACKUP: None
NAV COMPUTER: No
MANUVERABILITY: 1D
SPACE: 6
ATMOSPHERE: 330; 950kmh
HULL: 2D
SHIELDS: 0D
SENSORS:
Passive 10/1D
Scan 40/1D
Search 60/2D
Focus 1/2D
Mechanical: 2D
Communications: 4D
Sensors: 5D
Starfighter piloting: 3D
Equipped with:
Long range receiver transmitter.
Holographic camera.
Sensor baffling (+2D Difficulty on sensor rolls to detect this droid).
Clavoonian Industries pilot droid brain.
Decoy system: Can appear as Xim's Revenge on sensors for 5 rounds before batteries are exausted.

This is my current design, more on the Hybid droid brain and assault shuttles later.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursory glance seems pretty good. I've got to do some compare/contrast with other ships, but it looks like a good design and a formidable ship without being ridiculous.

Good job!

When I get the chance, I'll go over it more thoroughly and offer up more comments.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Grimace your oppinion means allot but i'm alittle worried that the pulse wave cannon might be a bit much.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've looked it over a bit more thoroughly now, and there are a couple of things that might need to be toned down just a bit. Not much, though, so that's good. Shows you spent some time thinking about it.

First, the Sensors:
Knock about 10 off the Scan range and about 30 off the range of the Search and I think you've got a good set of sensors on the thing. As it is, this ship is better than a Mon Cal MC80 Star Cruiser in regards to sensors. I think toning down the ranges a bit will demonstrate that it's a computer running it, therefore it's got better scanning ability but it'll have a bit shorter range than the new ships.

Space Movement is good, but your a little high on the Maneuverability. I'm not sure whether that's due to no living crew so you think the thing is more maneuverable, or what. Maybe drop it down to 2D (the same as a Corellian Corvette...which is a smaller ship) or at most 2D+1.

The weapons damages range from good to not so good. You're right in thinking that the Pulse Wave cannon is overpowered. It is. Even though it fires only once every 3 rounds, it's dishing out 3D more than the Turbolaser Batteries on an Imperial Star Destroyer. My suggestion for this is maybe make the Rate of Fire a little slower....maybe 1 shot ever 6 rounds or something, and then knock the damage down a bit. Maybe something like 6D/4D/2D. That way it's substantially more powerful than the Beam Cannons, but not so ridiculous that it's going to seriously pummel an Imperial Star Destroyer. Plus, since it has a range of 150...if you knock your Search sensor range down to 150 it'll indicate that the ship can use this weapon the moment it can detect a ship at maximum range.

Likewise, your Mass Driver cannons are a bit too powerful as well. Turbolaser batteries range from 4D to 5D. Double Turbolaser cannons do 4D+2. Put the damage of the Mass Driver cannons...regular shot, at around 4D/4D+1. For your Pressure Bombs, you can boost the damage by +2/1D, putting the Pressure bomb damage right around 5D or so. If you want them pressure bombs to be really nasty, you can make them more powerful, maybe around the 5D+2 range, but I'd dramatically cut the number of pressure bombs the ship has then. Those weapons sound like something used more for planetary bombardment, so they'd be less effective against ships in space...so depending on how you viewed them, I'd work the damage appropriately.

One thing you could do if you want the mass driver cannons to be more of a threat, is to reduce the damage to around what I suggested but increase the range. The typical range of a Turbolaser is about 75. Mass from a mass driver would undoubtedly go further. So maybe you could tack another 15 to 25 spaces on to the range. That gives this ship a much longer range of engagement and could make it a threat against some larger ships until they get in closer to it.

There were a couple of other things, like the damage of the Ion cannons being a bit high, but I think it could add a neat flavor to the ship, above and beyond the mass drivers and pulse wave cannon. So for the most part your ship seems pretty good. A good challenge for even some "present day" ships if they're not expecting it.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the mass driver damage of 4D you suggested for single shot or link fire.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single shot. I figure most things by single shot, since the weapon is that, by itself, and depending on how many you decide to link will increase it by whatever.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If single shot is 4D then link fire for 4 cannons is 5D+2 right?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall the fire link rules....isn't it +1 per additional? So that would be +3 or 1D above the 4D, for 5D total. I might have it wrong, but I'm not sure. You may have to look it up.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm now that you mention it you might be right. I think ill check as well.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im working on an optional adventure for my xim champaign an i need stats for Rakatan force energizers.

"Anyone?"
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace, this Xim stuff is great. I don't plan on ever running any games in that time period, but Xim's history is important to my next campaign. Thanks guys.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: