The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

d6 Feats/Talents?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> d6 Feats/Talents?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sketchpad
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: d6 Feats/Talents? Reply with quote

[/LURK]

Hiya Gang,
I'm starting to run d6 again after a bit of a hiatus and was wondering if anyone had converted over any of the d20 SW Feats/Talents for use in d6?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: d6 Feats/Talents? Reply with quote

Sketchpad wrote:
[/LURK]

Hiya Gang,
I'm starting to run d6 again after a bit of a hiatus and was wondering if anyone had converted over any of the d20 SW Feats/Talents for use in d6?

BLASPHEMY!!!

Wink

Seriously, feats/talens are two of the things that make the D20 SW 'unplayable' IMO..
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I've seen any of the d20 stuff get converted, but West End Games d6 system (different concept, somewhat, from the WEG Star Wars D6 system) does incorporate feat type elements. There are a couple threads floating around concerning using them with Star Wars.

Thing is, with a cinematic and simple game system like this one, there's no need for feats. Feats are used to add special capabilities within a confining, rigid rule set... with SWd6, there's nothing saying you can't attempt anything that a feat would allow you to do. The only issue is the difficulty of performing the feat and your dice pool. What you can potentially do is only limited by imagination, what you can likely do is limited by difficulty ranges. Feats in d20 are the back door saying "psst, I have a work around for all the rules saying you can't do that!"... but d6 is far less domineering than d20, it says "you can try if you want" and lets you succeed/fail based on your skill.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What might be useful would be to incorporate advantages/disadvantages from other d6 system products into Star Wars.

That could give some of the character options that some feats have without taking the emphasis off or a skill based system.

What type of abilities were you considering bringing into d6?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sketchpad wrote:
[/LURK]

Hiya Gang,

Hiya, Sketchpad. Welcome to this board (as a non-lurker)! Wink

ZzaphodD wrote:
BLASPHEMY!!!

Wink

Seriously, feats/talens are two of the things that make the d20 SW 'unplayable' IMO..

Yes.

Ankhanu wrote:
Thing is, with a cinematic and simple game system like this one, there's no need for feats. Feats are used to add special capabilities within a confining, rigid rule set... with SWd6, there's nothing saying you can't attempt anything that a feat would allow you to do. The only issue is the difficulty of performing the feat and your dice pool. What you can potentially do is only limited by imagination, what you can likely do is limited by difficulty ranges. Feats in d20 are the back door saying "psst, I have a work around for all the rules saying you can't do that!"... but d6 is far less domineering than d20, it says "you can try if you want" and lets you succeed/fail based on your skill.

Ank, you hit the nail on the head. d20 is so yes or no with abilities. D6 is how many dice do I have to try that? Attributes and skills makes way more sense for cinematic spasce opera adventure than "D&D in space" does.

atgxtg wrote:
What might be useful would be to incorporate advantages/disadvantages from other d6 system products into Star Wars.

I've done that, but only have a very few low-powered advantages.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the talent system was the only part of the saga system i liked. it was the only part of the system that was like D6 force powers. and to answer your question, talents are converted as force powers (generally), and feats don't need converting.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Wars Online Journal did feats and talents for D6, so lets not pretend that this is the first time that anyone has suggested such a thing. I'm not sure I remember how they handled it. Personally, I don't think I would incorporate a feat and talent system, particularly as a conversion from d20. I've been playing a Saga game for months now, and the feats and talents really are a difficult mechanic to bring into D6.

Really, the closest thing you could do would be to have a purchase system for special abilities. That is, if you wanted a fighter to be good at two-weapons, you could have them pay 10 cps for a +2 to attack or defense when using two weapons (and two actions) per round. For improved two-two weapon fighting, you could have them pay another 10 cps for another sort of advancement, and so on.

I don't think I would use this system, but it is an option for you.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest i have done to something like that, was in the past i had a list of inate tallents and disadvantages, which gave/cost CP.
So say someone took minor phobia, claustrophobia (would have to make a moderate willpower roll to enter enclosed spaces, and even if successful is at -1d while there. if fails, can still go in at -3d) = +10cp. Major phobia, claustrophobia (if fails cannot enter space and if forced in, goes catatonic. if makes a difficult willpower roll can go in but acts at -4d). +30cp.
Edditic memory -15cp. pick one sense and with that sense, you have a photographic memory. 25 for 2 senses, -40 for all.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Online Journal used feats as bonuses. IE Deadly Strike made a successful short range attack automatically deal maximum damage, and Uncanny Dodge gave a bonus to Dodge (irc, paraphrasing).

I had toyed with using some elements, but decided that it was too much work and didn't really fit. Besides, if someone wants something like that, I can make a special ability or advanced skill for it.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things about feats/talents is that many of them exist to offset penalties that were created specfically so that feats could be created to offset them. Mostof the rest allow a character to get around some restriction in the rules that doesn't exist in d6. In particular feats/talents allow a character to get around the limitations of the class/level system where everything si almost entirely level dependent.

For example:

-in d20/SAGA if a character wants to shoot more often he takes a rapidshot feat. In d6 he just declares more attacks.

-In d20/SAGA a character wants to be better with a specific weapon, he takes feats like weapon specialization or point blank shot. In d6 he just raises his skill and or takes a specialty.

-In d20/SAGA a character can take Gearhead to be better at repairing equipment than would be allowed based on class and level. In d6 he can just raise his skill. [Although, a Gearhead advantage that gave +1D to all repair rolls could be interesting and worthwhile].
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a matter of rule interpretation. You could conceivably put feats in D6, but it's just more rules over the basic rule of: If you increase your dice in one skill, you're good at it!

You don't really need an "ambidextrous" feat, cause if you have 6D or more in blasters for example, it means you're trained enough to shoot at enemies with both hands.

Also, the beauty of the feat-less D6 system is that you could create a Bounty Hunter character which has a lot of dice in his Knowledge and Technical skills only, and not increasing his blaster purposely after every adventure - just to say this PC calls himself a Bounty Hunter but isn't really skilled enough for it and way over his head.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
One of the things about feats/talents is that many of them exist to offset penalties that were created specfically so that feats could be created to offset them. Mostof the rest allow a character to get around some restriction in the rules that doesn't exist in d6. In particular feats/talents allow a character to get around the limitations of the class/level system where everything si almost entirely level dependent.

For example:

-in d20/SAGA if a character wants to shoot more often he takes a rapidshot feat. In d6 he just declares more attacks.

-In d20/SAGA a character wants to be better with a specific weapon, he takes feats like weapon specialization or point blank shot. In d6 he just raises his skill and or takes a specialty.

-In d20/SAGA a character can take Gearhead to be better at repairing equipment than would be allowed based on class and level. In d6 he can just raise his skill. [Although, a Gearhead advantage that gave +1D to all repair rolls could be interesting and worthwhile].

...Very nicely put!

...d20=The Dark Side without the Coolness factor! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: