The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Printed Galaxy Guide PDF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Printed Galaxy Guide PDF
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Printed Galaxy Guide PDF Reply with quote

I just wanted to let you all know that I printed Galaxy Guide 15: Attack of the Clones at FedEx Kinkos and had it bound last week. I went all-out. I chose the premium binding, and quality card stock for the front and back covers. The cover stock is as sturdy as the regular paperback covers for the tons of paperback books we all have (like the original Galaxy Guides, for example), but they are a tad bit glossier. And to completely throw practicality to the wind, I had them print the entire PDF in full color, cover to cover. There is color on every page of the PDF except the opening crawl page (2).

Of course with their price per page for color copies, I ended up paying much more than what I would have paid for a published book of this nature, in hardback even. It was so much that I wish my wife wasn't with me when I paid for it. I'm sure if I can still come up with our car payment this month, that she won't be too mad at me. But I defintely just lost a lot of bargaining power when it comes to financial decisions in our family. Confused

But the good news is, the results are breath-taking (if you're a fanatic for quality full-color RPG books like I am). The color paper that's good enough for photos printing on book pages is nice, very nearly the quality of the glossy color pages of the Star Wars R&E book. With the glossy full color pages, it is really a much higher quality than the published Galaxy Guides. I probably should have printed this black-and-white (still with color covers), but it was too late after I had them print it all up to change my mind. Oh well.

Anyway, the book is absolutely beautiful. I'm mostly just bragging that I have a high quality full-color printed Galaxy Guide 15 on my bookshelf with the complete WEG Galaxy Guide series 1-12 (I paid for those bragging rights, for sure). But it would still be incosiderate of me to not thank those you who made it possible by creating the awesome PDF in the first place. We all know who they are. Thank you, yet again.

Has anyone else printed any of the fan-made sourcebook PDFs? (I doubt I'm the only one.)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... do we get to see pictures of the masterful piece of work? Smile

But yes, I've printed the Force Powers book at a local blueprint company. I got color covers, but b&w pages. It cost me about $12-15... something in that range. A bit much for a small book, but totally worth it to me. It was the color card stock covers that got me on the price. I got it spiral bound, not anything fancy.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was contemplating the idea of making hard copies of a lot of the conversions, but I think rather than take it to kinkos, which is nice in presentation, I've just gotten a new printer which prints in good quality even on the medium setting, So, I figured I'd just buy some binders and plastic sleeves and put the sheets in there. Hopefully that will give it some degree of long life.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, yeah, sure I've printed all the books I made, but certainly not in such high quality. I just printed them at home, in fair quality and had them spiral-bound. With the price of the ink cartridges it was already a bit expensive, but to do what you did must have cost quite a lot. Oh well, as long as you're happy with what you now have, I'm glad.

And yeah, I want to see pictures of this baby.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about doing this for awhile now... but cost has always been the limpfac. Especially in this depressed economy!!! One day one day...

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone say photos of PDFs? Very Happy

I printed and bound this out about 2 years ago. They were out of any black or blue spines. Front cover:

Back cover:

However, the insides are black and white, cause I didn't want to use up the color toner at the time.

Here's another shot of the custom cover I made for the three Rancor Pit D6 conversion pdfs from the Artwork forums
I made this a couple of weeks back, and YAY! black spine!:

This time the interior is in color. Here's the walkers spread from Clone Wars Campaign Guide.

Here's the starships spread from the Force Unleashed Campaign Guide:

Here's the last two pages, a somewhat detailed galactic map... and I can't for the life of me remember or re-Google where I got it from originally:

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Umm... do we get to see pictures of the masterful piece of work? Smile

But yes, I've printed the Force Powers book at a local blueprint company. I got color covers, but b&w pages. It cost me about $12-15... something in that range. A bit much for a small book, but totally worth it to me. It was the color card stock covers that got me on the price. I got it spiral bound, not anything fancy.

I thought about printing the stuff on my own printer but it defintely would have used a lot of ink, and the cartridges are like $13 for black and $10 for each color on Amazon. I think I would have saved money printing this one because of the color pages. But I printed other black-and-white stuff that was definitely cheaper at Kinkos than it would have been in black ink on my computer.

It looks a lot like hish's, except the best binding they have is a black spiral, and it sounds like some of you have already done that. I think hish's binding (but in black) cost $3 at kinkos, while spiral cost $5. Well, they did have a binding that looks like an actual book, but they said the pages would start to fall out if you read it more than once. That might look good on a shelf but I want to actually read this and put it back up and get it back down and refer to it, etc., etc. So I had to go with the best durable binding they had.

Actually it looks like hish may have the plastic clear cover thing over a printed paper cover, but I'm not sure from his pics. I wanted an actual cover.

My wife's digital camera is dead and she can't find the recharger cord right now, so the only way I could show a pic is to try to scan it and I'm not sure how good that would look.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Actually it looks like hish may have the plastic clear cover thing over a printed paper cover, but I'm not sure from his pics.

Ayup. That's what I got.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: