The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cellphone (smartphone like we all have) in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Cellphone (smartphone like we all have) in Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:56 am    Post subject: Cellphone (smartphone like we all have) in Star Wars Reply with quote

Our world's mobile Phones.

We have camera, "computer access" for searches and "limited" general use

Our phone also includes a comlink wth a global ( system wide) reach

In star wars as I can see we have the comlink ( various) and the datapad (also various) but we do not seem to have the combination item called Mobile Phone.

How would this be statted out it OUR phone was a star wars Comlink/Datapad?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the average of the cost of both a datapad AND comlink, and combine them..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cellphone (smartphone like we all have) in Star Wars Reply with quote

The Star Wars Sourcebook gave us "pocket computers" which at the time I imagined as pocket calculators with mini-computer capabilities. With the rise of smart phones on Earth, I reimagined pockets computers as more like smart phones, that come in both the original and "+comlink" versions (for an additional cost as garhkal suggested). But I see no reason to expand a pocket computer's comlink range to beyond that of its real world counterpart, so I keep it as global.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cellphone (smartphone like we all have) in Star Wars Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Star Wars Sourcebook gave us "pocket computers" which at the time I imagined as pocket calculators with mini-computer capabilities. With the rise of smart phones on Earth, I reimagined pockets computers as more like smart phones, that come in both the original and "+comlink" versions (for an additional cost as garhkal suggested). But I see no reason to expand a pocket computer's comlink range to beyond that of its real world counterpart, so I keep it as global.

Ours are NOT global though, as there's plenty of areas without cell coverage..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cellphone (smartphone like we all have) in Star Wars Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

very good point with the lack of coverage here and there and something i think should be covered in range stats.

I suggested something like system wide, though I would say it would be depending on how the communication is.

In star wars we do have an "internet analogy" with the holo-calls, the range going from planet to planet.

I can suggest perhaps that in urbanized areas (with space age tech level) the comlink/phone will give a +1 pip bonus, however in "rural and less addvanced" areas I would say planet wide range, and even "limited to what ever is there for communication relays"...in short I would say on coruscant I would give a +1pip to general use bonus, and on tatooine I would give it a +0, and on the even more remote Endor I would allow it to be used as a "walkie talkie" with a range in the 10s of kilometers, here due to the limitations on tech on endor.

So I belive the range is and should be "various" in some way, but that can be hard to stat out in any meaningful way
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even IN our areas where you have cell coverage, there's also blind spots (inside buildings and stairwells), as well as areas, where coverage is spotty..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, even IN our areas where you have cell coverage, there's also blind spots (inside buildings and stairwells), as well as areas, where coverage is spotty..

Good point......I missed out on that one.

I can think most of these places would also "hinder" the normal comlinks.

as to inside and even underground I can only think it would be like a comlink and that a comlink would suffer the same conditions, but good point
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cellphone (smartphone like we all have) in Star Wars Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

I was speaking to the range not coverage. Our modern Earth cell phone tech coverage is global in range, meaning that a call can potentially reach the exact farthest away point from it on Earth. Yes, it is correct that there must coverage in both places, but the distance of the range is still global.

In Star Wars, PCs would rarely have to talk to anyone else outside of the current city they are in, so planetwide comlink coverage would rarely matter. But sure, just like real life on Earth, a GM could say that there are areas of the planet that aren't covered by the network.

My main point was that I do not extend pocket computer comlinks to a system wide range...

Mamatried wrote:
I suggested something like system wide, though I would say it would be depending on how the communication is.

In star wars we do have an "internet analogy" with the holo-calls, the range going from planet to planet.

The holonet has a galactic range (of course it is only where coverage exists). This network relies on FTL communication tech. The existence of the holonet in SW does not mean there aren't local planet wide networks that rely of slightly less than speed-of-light capabilities like we do on Earth. These local networks could include nearby moons. (Earth to moon is nearly instantaneous.) Messages between Mars and Earth take over 3 minutes to reach each other. When you up the communication range to system, you are adding FTL communication tech to it to make instantaneous "live" conversations possible. Personally, I see no reason to add FTL tech to pocket computers. Adding comlinks to make them roughly analogous to smart cell phones tech on Earth is more reasonable, and even this probably requires a network.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cellphone (smartphone like we all have) in Star Wars Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The holonet has a galactic range (of course it is only where coverage exists). This network relies on FTL communication tech. The existence of the holonet in SW does not mean there aren't local planet wide networks that rely of slightly less than speed-of-light capabilities like we do on Earth. These local networks could include nearby moons. (Earth to moon is nearly instantaneous.) Messages between Mars and Earth take over 3 minutes to reach each other. When you up the communication range to system, you are adding FTL communication tech to it to make instantaneous "live" conversations possible. Personally, I see no reason to add FTL tech to pocket computers. Adding comlinks to make them roughly analogous to smart cell phones tech on Earth is more reasonable, and even this probably requires a network.

I disagree on the subject of range and coverage for the Holonet. On page 13 of the Imperial Sourcebook we learn that the Empire dismantled the Holonet as a means of isolating worlds, thereby preventing them from coordinating against the Empire.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cellphone (smartphone like we all have) in Star Wars Reply with quote

jtanzer wrote:
I disagree on the subject of range and coverage for the Holonet. On page 13 of the Imperial Sourcebook we learn that the Empire dismantled the Holonet as a means of isolating worlds, thereby preventing them from coordinating against the Empire.

Large portions of the the holonet were shut down but it still existed. And you are missing the point. We are talking about the technological capabilities. The holonet spanned the galaxy, so the range was certainly galactic even with limited coverage. My only point in bringing it up was to point out that even when upping the comlink range to system wide, you are introducing FTL communication technology into it like the holonet uses.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: