The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TIE Fighter Hyperdrive Module (THM)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> TIE Fighter Hyperdrive Module (THM) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject: TIE Fighter Hyperdrive Module (THM) Reply with quote

I am unsure if someone has created stats for EC Henry's awesome TIE fighter hyperspace module, but I just found it and figured it deserved some stats.

Quote:
TIE Fighter Hyperdrive Module
Notably less robust than its Republic predecessor the TIE Hyperdrive Module (THM) is crudely assembled and designed for a single hyperspace jump. Exiting hyperspace the burned out module is jettisoned as inert space junk. Manufactured by Arakyd Industries in close cooperation with Sienar Fleet Designs so that the hardware is completely compatible with the TIE fighter line and easily controlled by its computer systems. The function of the module is simple, opening up to receive and mechanically clamp down on the cockpit ball sharing power and computer control through two specialized clamps that interface with ports on the TIE fighter. After a successful jump the module can be jettisoned with the help of explosive bolts. Imperial engineers were concerned that the explosive jettisoning of these modules would draw attention to TIE fighter squadrons dropping out of hyperspace, giving hostiles a warning of their approach. It was determined that the scattering of the module fragments actually had the tendency to confuse most targeting scopes making it difficult for an enemy to understand the strength and approach vectors of the attacking force at a glance. These modules rarely see use as as the Empire has a presence nearly everywhere is the galaxy with Imperial facilities or Star Destroyers with their own TIE fighter squadrons nearby.

TIE Hyperdrive Module (THM)
Model: Arakyd Industries/Seinar Fleet Systems TIE Hyperdrive Module
Type: Military propulsion module
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1 (one pre-programmed jump)
Cost: Not available for sale (15,000 estimated)
Availability: 4, R, X
Game Notes: Docking with the ring takes 3 rounds to accomplish.
Source: EC Henry "TIE Fighter Hyperdrive Ring (Fan Design/Lore)", mechanics by Emperor Ollie

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up. I wonder, could they modify it for tie bombers? OR other non hyperdrive equipped ties?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nice write up. I wonder, could they modify it for tie bombers? OR other non hyperdrive equipped ties?

That is an excellent question. I wondered about this too. Pictures only show a TIE and a TIE Interceptor. Image shows the module wrapping around the ball. I would think in the case of the bomber, the configuration would not allow for it to use the module. The write-up also states its not a common item, which to me, inferring, probably only for TIEs with the the single "eye" configuration and standard ion configuration. Not to say, there are not some modules for other models. This one I think is specific and probably could not be modified in any meaningful way for other models of ships.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, i'd see bombers as more needing them, to make raids easier, than fighters..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the "ring" mount where we have the TIE cockpit, surrounded by 4 "engines" I can see being s design that can be easiely expanded on for fitting bombers and other tyoes of specil TIES.

I can see the thin wider with a sideways figure 8 and still the same number of engines. it seems a "ring with engines" so make it a figure 8 or a dual ring system i can see this fitting but is a little hard in foreign language to explain but I try.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed previously here.

I’m a fan of ECHenry’s work in general, but I have difficulty picturing an actual use for this outside of a few niche circumstances. I mean, what’s the point of sending a TIE to a system where it’s immediately stranded and has to wait for a capital ship to come pick it up?

A real game changer would be to make this a multi-use hyperdrive booster that can be strapped on for special missions (with attendant reduction in performance), with the option of being ejected in case of an emergency.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

I’m a fan of ECHenry’s work in general, but I have difficulty picturing an actual use for this outside of a few niche circumstances. I mean, what’s the point of sending a TIE to a system where it’s immediately stranded and has to wait for a capital ship to come pick it up?

While I agree it's use would be very limited as a single use drive, even if there were a bomber variant, I can think of some situations where it could give a tactical advantage. Some ideas:
-Rapidly dispatching TIEs from a base or factory to reinforce a fleet or replace those lost in combat without requiring the fleet to withdraw for resupply.
- Providing additional TIE support to an engaged fleet from nearby bases.
- Keeping a Capitol Ship or fleet group safely out of a system or engagement while harassing the system with TIE fighters.
- Being able to send a TIE strike Force when the capitol ship is needed elsewhere, with the intent to retrieve the TIEs later.
-Moving TIE squadrons between planetary bases without the need of using a capitol ship or otherwise diverting essential fleet forces.

Just a few of the ideas I could think of on the fly.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Empire would waste this on a standard TIE/ln. Maybe Interceptors for some stealth/quickstrike mission though.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is these tactical uses don’t match with Imperial doctrine for TIE fighters. This changes later when they start integrating hyperdrives into TIEs like the Avenger and Defender, but standard TIE Fighters and Bombers are designed to directly support capital ships, ground units or stationary bases. Roughly around Endor, there was some reconsideration, but even then, it was mainly the most loyal and elite pilots who were trusted with hyperdrive-equipped craft. And post-Endor, as their resources dwindled, it would make even less sense to simply throw their fighters away without a way to get them back.

The Empire is more inclined to think in term of large ship solutions, like outfitting a bulk freighter with racks to turn it into a pocket carrier that drops fighters in the outer system, jumps out again, then returns to a predetermined rendezvous point later.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

While I agree it's use would be very limited as a single use drive, even if there were a bomber variant, I can think of some situations where it could give a tactical advantage. Some ideas:
-Rapidly dispatching TIEs from a base or factory to reinforce a fleet or replace those lost in combat without requiring the fleet to withdraw for resupply.
- Providing additional TIE support to an engaged fleet from nearby bases.
- Keeping a Capitol Ship or fleet group safely out of a system or engagement while harassing the system with TIE fighters.
- Being able to send a TIE strike Force when the capitol ship is needed elsewhere, with the intent to retrieve the TIEs later.
-Moving TIE squadrons between planetary bases without the need of using a capitol ship or otherwise diverting essential fleet forces.

Just a few of the ideas I could think of on the fly.

I love the idea of using them from the factory, to 'mass quick re-supply' ships in the field. OR for allowing them to smack in TWO spots..
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The problem is these tactical uses don’t match with Imperial doctrine for TIE fighters. This changes later when they start integrating hyperdrives into TIEs like the Avenger and Defender, but standard TIE Fighters and Bombers are designed to directly support capital ships, ground units or stationary bases. Roughly around Endor, there was some reconsideration, but even then, it was mainly the most loyal and elite pilots who were trusted with hyperdrive-equipped craft. And post-Endor, as their resources dwindled, it would make even less sense to simply throw their fighters away without a way to get them back.

The Empire is more inclined to think in term of large ship solutions, like outfitting a bulk freighter with racks to turn it into a pocket carrier that drops fighters in the outer system, jumps out again, then returns to a predetermined rendezvous point later.

It is not unheard of or unreasonable for military operations to be run that do not line up with the doctrine of the greater force or government - and with an organization as large as the empire I would say doubly so. In some sectors or pockets there may be someone not fully playing by the book.
If these do not fit your SW game or universe that is fine, I am merely providing some logical ideas and uses for those who might want to work these in somewhere.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I love the idea of using them from the factory, to 'mass quick re-supply' ships in the field. OR for allowing them to smack in TWO spots..

I wish I could take full credit, but it was very much inspired by the original BSG - I had recently re-watched it and was very much thinking of the whole "Where are the Base Stars" bit.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
It is not unheard of or unreasonable for military operations to be run that do not line up with the doctrine of the greater force or government - and with an organization as large as the empire I would say doubly so. In some sectors or pockets there may be someone not fully playing by the book.
If these do not fit your SW game or universe that is fine, I am merely providing some logical ideas and uses for those who might want to work these in somewhere.

As I said, I can see some niche applications. But the Empire is far less likely to have those sorts of rule-flouting outliers until post-Endor, at which point they’re much less likely to have the resources to simply throw away a hyperdrive after a single use, at which point the ship will be stranded in whatever system it ends up in. Simply making this a two- or three-jump reusable system that is normally removed and refurbished between uses (rather than simply thrown away) and is only ejected in case of emergency, opens up a lot of tactical uses.

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

As I said, I can see some niche applications. But the Empire is far less likely to have those sorts of rule-flouting outliers until post-Endor, at which point they’re much less likely to have the resources to simply throw away a hyperdrive after a single use, at which point the ship will be stranded in whatever system it ends up in. Simply making this a two- or three-jump reusable system that is normally removed and refurbished between uses (rather than simply thrown away) and is only ejected in case of emergency, opens up a lot of tactical uses.

I disagree. But at this point we are just arguing over personal opinions and interpretations of imperial doctrine, which itself is fluid within the scope and scale of both canon and legends SW material. I do not see why it is necessary to dismiss the idea or argue over matter of personal taste and over what others can do in their own stories, games, and campaigns.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
KageRyu wrote:

I can see single-use hyperdrives for a surprise hit-and-run mission that requires some fighters to first get somewhere without a more noticeable capital ship, and then after the fighters attack, the supporting capital ship comes out of hyperspace and is available for any surviving fighters to return to for the capital ship to then escape back to hyperspace. Little or no ships stranded that way.

But I still wouldn't waste this on a TIE/ln because they are easily destroyed so less likely to survive in any great numbers. If we are going to talk Imperial doctrine, TIE/ln tactics tend to depend on numerical superiority because TIE/lns and their pilots were considered individually expendable.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: