The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ahsoka [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Ahsoka [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure if this would go better here or in the meme thread - thought if was very funny and share it in good humor.

Asoka 1985 Trailer
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I wasn't sure if this would go better here or in the meme thread - thought if was very funny and share it in good humor.

Asoka 1985 Trailer

LOL. That was awesome! Thanks for sharing it, KageRyu!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are officially two canon universes whether they call them that or not.

DougRed4 wrote:
Darth Vader is blasted apart (and disintegrates into a thousand tiny pieces) in Lego Star Wars, and then Darth Vader reads a bedtime story to Leia in Goodnight Darth Vader, those three versions of Vader are not from the same "universe". Yes, they're all lumped together under 'Legends' on Wookieepedia

This is actually incorrect. Lego Star Wars and Goodnight Darth Vader are not categorized as Legends. They are categorized as "non-canon" which is a third category. These is not officially part of either canon and thus not officially part of either universe. "Non-canon" is not considered a third universe – There is no even nominal attempt to make it maintain any continuity with anything else. "Non-canon" existed back during the time of the EU and still exists as something separate from the two canons.

Quote:
On the flip side, with Legends, there are a ton of different stories without internal consistency. Just for argument's sake, let's say there's seventeen different "universes" (if you choose to call them that) or separate continuities. Not two. Thought seventeern is just a number I pulled out. There's far more than that.

If Darth Vader battles Leia (using Luke's lightsaber, which Luke had earlier used to pick a lock) in Splinter of the Mind's Eye

Now this discussion is going even further off track. No one said that Legends was ever consistent with itself. I am on record as long ago saying that the EU was formed by the unholy shotgun wedding of TTT to Dark Empire (in the church of WEG). The EU was hopeless self-contradictory from its very conception and it never got better. Soon after its formation some retroactive things were brought into the EU, like the Brian Daley novels, while others were intentionally left out, like SotME and the Marvel Comics.

Then in the 90s when they reprinted SotME, they canonized it in the EU. I read it and thought several things about SotME don't make sense, a major one being Luke personally confronting Vader face-to-face before TESB. The Marvel Comics were still left out, and the EU later adopted the policy that any characters or things from Marvel used by EU authors become canon but the comic stories and the rest of the stuff in them remain non-canon. By the end of the active EU, the policy on Marvel Comics had been updated again to everything in them is EU-canon unless contradicted by another source, where that takes primacy.

But even without these extreme examples, the EU was a continuity disaster. We agree on that. But in my point I was talking about official canon universes in the franchise, and the Expanded Universe is an official canon universe whether any fans feel it was consistent or not.

Quote:
There is internal consistency within canon.

I vehemently disagree with this. TRoS blatantly contradicts TLJ and even TFA which was made by the same director/co-writer as TRoS. The DT contradicts the Lucas films. I wrote an entire essay which deals with these things as a major point. I strongly recommend you (and all SW fans) read it. And as mentioned earlier in this thread, TCW contradicts the Lucas films and Ahsoka contradicts Rebels. The Disney canon is basically EU 2. It is just as bad as the EU as far as internal consistency.

Quote:
I think the crux of where we disagree is the two different universes thing. I think we both agree on the (at least attempted) continuity of their canon line. Where I believe we disagree is that you seem to be saying that there are two, where I am saying there is canon, and then many, many others (which are not consistent with each other).
That's all I'm saying.

This is really a big tangent from my comments about why I feel Disney will not un-do the DT in any way to remake TTT or for any other reason. You seem to even agree with that statement, just not the semantics of one of my cited evidences. It doesn't matter if Disney considers either of the canons to taking places in "universes" or not. That is completely beside the point.

The DT did gross over $4.4 billion so someone liked it. The "speculation" of undoing the DT comes from what I feel is an unhealthy mass fanboy fantasy. The fantasy is encouraged by unreliable journalism. It is best to not entertain and promote these fantasies, so I discount them when they are brought up.

Disney isn't going to un-do the DT, regardless of the method used to explain it. That's the point that was even remotely related to the discussion about Ahsoka. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. I admit that for years I maintained that there would never be any more SW films after RotS. I did not see the Disney sale coming at all.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:

Asoka 1985 Trailer

My 13 year-old self would think that show looks awesome!

Here was the best place to share it because it will be two more weeks before the whole series will be released from all spoiler protections.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
If it is logistically possible, keep in mind the Commerce section of the Rancor Pit for possible looking for new homes when selling Star Wars stuff.

My RPG collection will likely be among the last things I part with - if I part with them.
If/When I do I would certainly like to offer my D6 collection here first, I can think of no better place to find them a loving new home. It is an extensive collection, not just D6. I believe many years ago I posted a snapshot of it at that time (4 milk crates full of just D6 material). Books were added since then in the hopes of eventually getting back to gaming. I do not have many of the adventures for SW, and am missing a couple of the Boxed Sets (Dark Stryder for example) but I have most of the rest from WEG.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By chance, does anyone know the class and name of the fighters that attacked Ashoka? I think it was in episode 3 or 4? I had some ideas for stating them out, but cannot seem to find what they are called.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
By chance, does anyone know the class and name of the fighters that attacked Ashoka? I think it was in episode 3 or 4? I had some ideas for stating them out, but cannot seem to find what they are called.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/RP82_Fiend_fighter

This one? Other sites have likely statted them out, but I'd still love to see your version.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the one. Thank you Whill. I was only finding sources calling it "Mercenary Starfighter".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: