The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Getting out of the Matrix
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Getting out of the Matrix Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Getting out of the Matrix Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
PS Whill. Not sure if this or the GMs area is the best spot for this.. Feel free to move if needed.

As you can see, I moved it to Gamemasters.

garhkal wrote:
OK, say someone captured your PCs, and put them mentally into a Matrix-like environment.
First, how easily would it be for those IN the matrix like environment to recognize they are IN one
Second, once they've realized, how hard would it be to get OUT?

After I saw The Matrix, I was influenced by the film to incorporate ideas of it into an altered version of The Game Chambers of Questal adventure module. Sadly I no longer have my notes for it and can remember very little of how I handled it. But I'm sure the PCs were captured and stunned unconscious so that when they "woke up" they were unknowingly in the matrix. I have no idea how they specifically realized it, but I'm guessing it was noticing a glitch. Who knows how they got out of it?

Sorry this post is wholly unhelpful.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziz wrote:
Back up a minute. I'd tend to think how they get out of it would depend on how they got into it, right? Is it physical devices the alien race hooked them up to? Did they participate in some kind of alien spirituality/bonding ritual as part of a diplomatic mission? Do the aliens naturally communicate via telepathy and the PCs become inadvertently subject to all the "mental signals" around them?

As i mentioned to Pakman, this is more of a thought exercise, not something i'm planning to try and do.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cool idea and concept.

I've done something similar (in a supers game); in that one I literally mapped out scene by scene based on similar concepts from a Star Trek: TNG episode called "Frame of Mind".
Ziz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Ziz wrote:
Back up a minute. I'd tend to think how they get out of it would depend on how they got into it, right? Is it physical devices the alien race hooked them up to? Did they participate in some kind of alien spirituality/bonding ritual as part of a diplomatic mission? Do the aliens naturally communicate via telepathy and the PCs become inadvertently subject to all the "mental signals" around them?

As i mentioned to Pakman, this is more of a thought exercise, not something i'm planning to try and do.

Granted, but either way, the whole thing should have a consistent logic, not just "eenie meenie minie moe" your way through it.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a lot of great books, movies, and TV episodes that have addressed dream like or fantasy worlds within a protagonists mind. They often have some common thoughts on how a protagonist realizes they are being duped, and a lot of times this has to do with how familiar the illusory environment is to the protagonist, other times it is based on popular dream logic tropes. There are a lot of factors that could play into detecting the illusion depending on whether it is the result of mechanical device, or some form of mental attack.

Mechanical Devices Causing Illusion
I feel these should have some governing attributes to represent there processing power and adaptability. Obviously the device should have a Die Code for the potency of it's illusionary world, which once the player realizes he is in becomes the opposed Die Code to beat with a Willpower or Control skill roll. There are many ways that may tip a player off, perhaps with some skill associated:
The Same Black Bantha - Some event, or even more than one, seems to repeat. More than just Deja Vu. It doesn't have to be a Bantha walking by, could be a particular sapient being whose patterns are all too regular, or a set pattern to buildings or streets, or even just too many similar faces, it could be rooms all having identical layout and furnishings (or every Nth Room). A Search or Notice skill might tip the player off, with the difficulty based on how subtle or obvious the repetition is.
Missing Details - Details are in places absent. Perhaps odors of plants, or food. It might be the tactile sensation of certain surfaces or feelings. A Force User likely will find he cannot sense the life forms around him (they aren't real...so no sensing them). Small clutter might not have appropriate composition on closer inspection. It might even be details are wrong rather than missing - wrong color, the potted plant is all a single piece (pot and plant).
No Consistency - Events and environment do not seem to have logical structure or consistency to them. Perhaps the streets or corridors rearrange themselves. Beings that never seem to be the same any two times encountered.
Lag - Perhaps the simulation has trouble keeping up. Especially when the protagonist does something unexpected. Perhaps there is a noticeable stutter when the system is especially taxed? Perhaps there are just delays, or events seem to take longer than they should. The ships computer is slow to retrieve data, the astronomer has trouble calculating routes, unusual pauses from other beings when asked questions that are not expected or off the planned path for said being.
Visual Distortion - This could be distortions on distant objects with odd perspective, tiling on surfaces almost as if a texture, blurring or visual distortions in the environment. Essential think of every video game or 3D render glitch and those could all be examples.
Uncanny Valley - Just, something is off. Be it that things just do not look quite realistic enough, or behave not quite the way expected... it all seems off. How off is a matter of degrees and should affect the difficulty to notice.

If a living mind is making some sort of Psychic attack the options would be much different. I will address those ideas in a future post.

Escaping

Whatever the source of this imaginary world, before the protagonist can escape they must recognize it is not real. Once that has been achieved, escaping will could be as simple as matching the source of the false reality in a battle of willpower, or it could require solving some task or puzzle. It might require risking life to escape.

Some great examples of media that addresses escaping Dream or Fantasy worlds include:

STNG - The Battle, STNG - Remember Me, STNG - Future Imperfect, STNG - Frame of Mind, Batman TAS - Dreams in Darkness, Batman TAS - Perchance to Dream, Batman TAS - What is Reality, Justice League Unlimited - For the Man Who Has Everything, Batman Arkham Asylum Game, Novel - The Mind Trap, Doctor Who - The Deadly Assassin, Many Episodes of Season 4 of Agents of Shield, The Matrix Movies, Dreamscape, Brainstorm, Inception, Johnny Mnemonic, Several issues of the classic era of X-Men, Stargate SG-1 - The Gamekeeper, Vanilla Sky, Naked Lunch, Any Nightmare on Elm Street Movie...

I'm sure there are loads more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: