The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The LIBRARY of FAN-MADE SUPPLEMENTS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> The LIBRARY of FAN-MADE SUPPLEMENTS Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the Library.

Quote:
UPDATED --> Whill's Revised Skill List / 1e to 2e Skill Conversion Guide [Google Doc w/ tabs]

NEW --> Shantipole [full-color map for use with the 1e adventure Strike Force: Shantipole or it's 2e adaptation in Classic Adventures, Volume Five]
Google+ Community Files [Google Drive] Rework <-- NEW
NEW --> Trilogy Sourcebook/R&E Index
UPDATED --> The Force Compendium
NEW --> R&E Player Handout (horizontally oriented/greyscale)

NEW --> Star Wars Companion Index, Charts, and Capital Ship Template (Index includes the Rules Companion, the 1e core rule book, and the 1e SW Sourcebook)

The first document has a newly added second tab with the 1e to 2e Skill Conversion Guide, and its first tab was updated with several more skill/edition congruencies.

I added a few more documents to the Library. Navigate to the link above and check them out.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: R&E Character Templates Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
NEW --> R&E Character Templates

...R&E was the only officially published book with PC templates in color... so I thought I would... create a color PDF document of the R&E character templates only. All the template pages say they can be reproduced for personal use so it shouldn't be a big deal to anyone.

This was the first PDF I made in a very long time, my first on mac, and my first in full-color. The files size seems huge for a 23-page document, 108.8 MB. REUP is way longer and also in full-color, and it is 121 MB. Most of the avatars I've created are 100 dpi images but I scanned the R&E pages in 200 dpi for better resolution. I didn't resize the images - I only reoriented them and cropped them a bit, then pasted them on a blank back page that covered the width and height of all of them, which ended up being 1619 x 2177 pixels, so all the PDF pages would be the same size and none of the templates would appear slightly smaller or larger than each other. The TOC page I created from scratch and the cover page are the same size at the template pages (I made the front cover from the Wookieepedia image of the R&E cover so I actually enlarged it from the original, but it didn't become pixelated in doing so). When I view the web document in the Library in Mac Chrome, it comes up the width of my window at first but I get the View option to fit one page completely in the window and I can still read one page at a time (although the small template text is pretty small in that view). When I bring the actual document up in Mac Preview I can view two pages side-by-side at time and simulate the actual book.

Anyway, I don't know if I should do something to reduce the file size because it seems too high, and if so I'm not sure what to do except shrink the pages to a smaller size and remake the PDF that way. But how small is too small for it to still have a good viewing experience for everyone on the web and downloaded? I've already put a lot more time into this then I thought it would take and I am really sick of trial-and-error, so any advice would be appreciated!

I was originally going to just create an exact replica of the template pages that may include any original errors or other issues, but then I thought if I am going to the trouble of making a PDF for part of a book most us already have, I might as well make it more worthwhile and do any edits or updates that may be warranted. When I asked, no one pointed out any known errors (much thanks to griff for taking a look though), so I read through all the templates and looked for possible edits to make. All the weapon damage stats seem correct and the attributes total 18D for all. On a couple templates I removed a period at the end of Equipment because most of them do not have one. IIRC, this is what else I changed/added:
    Alien Student of the Force: Fixed a mid-word capitalization typo.
    Arrogant Nobel: Fixed a confusing Connection With Characters reference (carried over from 1e) that made it seems like this character was a Senatorial character when she clearly isn't and she even opposes democracy.
    Ewok: Added a film timeline note with respect to the background.
    Failed Jedi: Multiple core Jedi templates, especially Failed Jedi, were born out of 1e which did not have the same concept of Force Sensitivity. In 1e, any Jedi character could teach anyone else the Force. The Failed Jedi's write-up is such that the character's only purpose is to train someone else, when I have found it is quite common for player groups to only have one Force PC with no other PCs even being interested in learning the Force. The Failed Jedi's Connection With Characters only speaks to choosing another PC to train. I removed the word "player" from "player character" because training an NPC would also be an option, and I added a sentence from the Bounty Hunter template about other fringe characters just to have a non-trainee related suggestion. I also added a note for a stats option of having a Failed Jedi with the Alter skill, which of course means that under RAW I had to take 3 pips from the attributes for when a player chooses that option. The template's image is clearly a character with Alter so I figured there should at least be an option for a Failed Jedi that starts out with Alter. IAG has a non-telekinesis-using image for a Failed Jedi, but that image is in grayscale, not color.
    Gambler: I corrected a word that was probably a spellcheck error on a transcription error that completely changed the word from the 1e template. The 1e word makes sense for the character and the R&E word didn't, so I went with the original word.
    Outlaw: I corrected the first skill name to "Archaic guns".
    Protocol Droid: I like the artwork but it clearly isn't the same model of droid as Threepio, so I changed the model name to "3JL Protocol Droid". I came up with that by simply replacing the "PO" with the artist's initials.
I resisted the urge to institute more changes that reflect my personal preferences, so this document does not completely reflect my game and how I would handle all these. This PDF is fully functional with 2e RAW as is, and a little better than what was originally published in 1996. And although it is my pet peeve for PDF page numbers to not match the page numbers visible on the pages themselves, I decided to not renumber the pages and just left the original R&E page numbers, including on the TOC I created. I apologize that the TOC is not interactive by linking directly to the template. I don't know how to do that with pages made from images. And I'm sorry this document is not OCR. I don't have the technology to do that yet. I was having trouble making this PDF with Mac Preview which kept wanting to add margins around the pages which I couldn't easily get rid of, so I did some googling and finally used Keynote, an application for making slideshows which allowed me to custom the slide size dimensions to the page size, and then I exported the slideshow as a PDF.

Here are the templates in the document just for reference:

Blank Character Template
Alien Student of the Force
Arrogant Noble
Bounty Hunter
Brash Pilot
Ewok
Failed Jedi
Gambler
Kid
Minor Jedi
Mon Calamari
Outlaw
Pirate
Protocol Droid
Quixotic Jedi
Revwien Tyia Adept
Rookie New Republic Pilot
Smuggler
Wookiee
Young Jedi
Young Senatorial

I hope people appreciate this. The people playing the game using REUP can at least now have the original template character art now.

I noticed another error in R&E, so I corrected it and uploaded the revised version of the template collection PDF. The Outlaw template's first Dexterity skill was "Archaic weapons" which was obviously intended on being the first Dex skill in the skill chapter, "Archaic guns." Like always, clear your cache to make sure you are seeing the most up-to-date versions of all Rancor Pit documents and images.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I updated the Library.

Quote:
UPDATED --> Whill's Revised Skill List / 1e to 2e Skill Conversion Guide [tabbed Google Doc]
UPDATED --> R&E Character Templates (in color) [commentary]

NEW --> Star Wars Companion Index, Charts, and Capital Ship Template (Index includes the Rules Companion, the 1e core rule book, and the 1e SW Sourcebook)

The first document has a newly added second tab with the 1e to 2e Skill Conversion Guide, and its first tab was updated with several more skill/edition congruencies.

I added a few more documents to the Library.

Navigate to the Library link above and check out this new 2e adventure module in the style of WEG:

NEW --> The Great Kyber Heist
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Quote:
I updated the Library.

Quote:
UPDATED --> Whill's Revised Skill List / 1e to 2e Skill Conversion Guide [tabbed Google Doc]
UPDATED --> R&E Character Templates (in color) [commentary]

I added a few more documents to the Library.

Navigate to the Library link above and check out this new 2e adventure module in the style of WEG:

I went to the Library to look at the Great Kyber Heist, but I'm getting:

Error

Failed to load PDF document.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Whill wrote:
Quote:
I updated the Library.

I went to the Library to look at the Great Kyber Heist, but I'm getting:

Error

Failed to load PDF document.

I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting me know. I just tried it two laptop browsers, Chrome for Mac and Safari. I loads fine there. I also used my phone to bring it up through Android Chrome and it loaded.

I remember you had trouble with another document that you eventually had to get elsewhere. I'm guessing the issue is probably on your end.

This is the author's direct link: http://tinyurl.com/Great-Kyber-Heist . Let us know what you think.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the link you provided, and I managed to look at it. I'm using Chrome on my computer. Will try Microsoft Edge tonight after work.

Who did this? Because it looks exactly what one would expect from WEG! Whoever did this should be put on some of those long-delayed projects here on the forums, like a sourcebook for ROTS. The one that had all the stats for the characters before Disney acquired Star Wars and introduced Ahsoka, Rex, and the others. Is this the one who worked on those teaser samples for Rogue One? If not, get him in touch with the ones who did those samples!
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I used the link you provided, and I managed to look at it. I'm using Chrome on my computer. Will try Microsoft Edge tonight after work.

Who did this? Because it looks exactly what one would expect from WEG! Whoever did this should be put on some of those long-delayed projects here on the forums, like a sourcebook for ROTS. The one that had all the stats for the characters before Disney acquired Star Wars and introduced Ahsoka, Rex, and the others. Is this the one who worked on those teaser samples for Rogue One? If not, get him in touch with the ones who did those samples!

His name is Simon Taylor. He has Facebook. Maybe he can be reached that way: https://m.facebook.com/simontaylorcreative/
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an adventure he wrote and decided to make it into a WEG-like PDF and share it. On Fb, he said he would like to make more adventures and share them.

Forceally wrote:
Whoever did this should be put on some of those long-delayed projects here on the forums, like a sourcebook for ROTS. The one that had all the stats for the characters before Disney acquired Star Wars and introduced Ahsoka, Rex, and the others.

RotS came out 19 years ago. The GG only has the easy part done, the character stats. What remains is the fluff text (character write-ups and the like), and formatting to put it all together. The reason that it isn't done is because no one wants to take the time to do it. Writing an adventure would be easier, more interesting, and more personally investing than the GG, for most. The RotS GG fan project isn't an adventure he created, so he may have no interest in it.

But you're on Fb, so feel free to ask him.

Quote:
Is this the one who worked on those teaser samples for Rogue One? If not, get him in touch with the ones who did those samples!

The ones who created the RO mini-GG are actually a WEG author and an artist. Both are professionals who gave us a fun little freebie (I hear the author is writing comic books these days). They probably have no interest in expanding the freebie into a full-fledged GG without getting paid to do it. So any RO GG expansion/creation is going to fall to fans.

But you can ask if he has any interest in these things, and the worst he can say is no.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: