The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Death Star weapon ranges
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Death Star weapon ranges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:00 am    Post subject: Death Star weapon ranges Reply with quote

Any one ever notice the Death Star weapon ranges for the various systems are comparatively low compared to weapons on an ISD for instance?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Death Star weapon ranges Reply with quote

worfbacca wrote:
Any one ever notice the Death Star weapon ranges for the various systems are comparatively low compared to weapons on an ISD for instance?

Yes, which is why I rewrote the stats.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Death Star weapon emplacement ranges Reply with quote

I was thinking of doing the opposite and downgrading all other weapon stats to match the Death Star Weapon Emplacement stats. If one space unit can equal 10,000 km 750,000 kM for turbo lasers seem a bit high for me but 300,000 or 30 units seem more reasonable especially when a phasers max effective range is 300,000 km. FYI the moon is about 300,000 km away.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly headcanon it that way, but that sounds like part of a larger house rule that affects all starship stats, not just the Death Star.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Star weapon emplacement ranges Reply with quote

worfbacca wrote:
If one space unit can equal 10,000 km 750,000 kM for turbo lasers seem a bit high for me but 300,000 or 30 units seem more reasonable especially when a phasers max effective range is 300,000 km. FYI the moon is about 300,000 km away.

Not to open a can of worms, but where are you getting this particular conversion of one space unit possibly equalling 10,000km? The whole point of space units is to ambiguate real world measurement congruency.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Weapon ranges Reply with quote

In 2nd edition revised and expanded it states that starships sublight engines can cover thousands of km per second in space but also uses ambiguity for the space unit in the game. Star Trek is much more detailed about weapon ranges. I created a hybrid d6/weg/Icon game where multiple Sci-fi universes could interact in the hybrid game. If we assume one space unit equals ten thousand KM then I can start to work with some real numbers so the ships can interact from the various universes. I thought it interesting that the Death Star Weapon emplacement stats only had 1D fire control and were much lower ranges but it fits better with the two universes if all the turbolaser batteries and laser cannons were the smaller numbers. Trying to not open a can of worms as this thread could easily go under another topic.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should maybe only the super laser have a range increase.

I can not really see how the defensive weapon systems, (which they are) turbolasers and all what we see dot the surface having any longer range just becse the vessel is rarger.

I imagine a .50 cal on a small sloop, and a .50 on a battleship, both being equal in both damage and range.

now a quad mount and something automated over something crew operated could of course vary in both damage and range, quads often used for air defense, but these are still equal in range no matter the ship they are mounted on.

So to me the Death Star has turbosaers that at best has a slightly longer range than those of ISDs and other ships, with the added range comming from batteries, but not more than a small margin at that.

If the size of the vessel determines range then a wookie shooting a baster would shoot futher than a human shooting the same blaster?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Weapon ranges Reply with quote

worfbacca wrote:
Trying to not open a can of worms as this thread could easily go under another topic.

The closest I've seen to this is the Additional Weapons Chart on pg. 16 of the Star Wars Rules Companion, where Range Brackets for Capital-Scale weapons are listed in hundreds of thousands of meters. However, this was discarded in 2E and, IMO, for good reason. Honestly, if you're trying to convert the weapon ranges of other settings over to the WEG RAW variant of the SWU, you'd be far better served to stick to SUs, especially since crossover conversions from other setting rarely transfer over cleanly (often due to differences in the hard/soft scifi scaling of the setting itself).

worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Weapon ranges Reply with quote

Yes I convert everything back into space units.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: