The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fonts and other graphical resources
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Fonts and other graphical resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Fonts and other graphical resources Reply with quote

I searched and haven't been to find any good succinct answers for this. I want to make some handouts for an upcoming game and I'd really like to get a food WEG feel to them. What are the fonts used in the WEG books (all/any edition) and the sizes weights? Not just the main body copy but on the data pad sidebars and/or hyperspace maps.

I know ITC Eras Bold for headings and some titles but I haven't been able to find or figure out other fonts used. I'm working on an SVG template for the old data pad sidebars so I'd like to be able to get the full effect with the right fonts in the text boxes.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, S-Foil. R&E (and some other WEG books) use ITC Cheltenham, and ITC Serif Gothic for headings. I'm not sure about the font sizes. For some reason I am thinking Cheltenham 10 for main body text and 8 for stats, but I can't say for certain. If you get a hold of these fonts, you can print some test text pages to confirm/fine tune the exact size you want. I am currently in-between working printers at the moment so can't help with that right now.

When I see ITC Serif Gothic, I instantly think Star Wars. In my mind, Serif Gothic is iconic. However, Cheltenham is a fairly standard, New York Times-looking font, not really that far off from Times New Roman. I can't get the Rancor Pit to render Cheltenham, so my non-forum web pages (such as Star Wars D6 Damage) are in Times New Roman, the closest approximation I can get to R&E.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thank you. That's a huge help. I have an old stash of fonts from back in another life when I did graphic design. I'm going to see if I have those and try some test prints and compare with my books. I'll report back with my findings.

I know what you mean about the "WEG look". Even the DC Universe and Indiana Jones books have the "WEG look" on the inside to the point where I'm half expecting Stormtrooper stats on the next page. Between the fonts and Mike Vilardi art they're definitely an unmistakable "WEG look".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: