The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rise of Skywalker (original post-release thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Rise of Skywalker (original post-release thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: TRoS and the Rancor Pit Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
I have to think that a great many "fans" of Star Wars are fans of what Star Wars is in their mind...the mind of yesteryear, the mind of amazement. Their new, more cynical mind now looks for all of the "wrong" in Star Wars, and complain about it over and over. Some even make a point of going to discussion boards or posting on videos on Youtube, just to tell everyone how "terrible" all of the Disney Star Wars movies are.

Do I think you are like that? No. But I do see that from others on this very discussion board. Some have an automatic dislike for anything Star Wars that comes out now, and will do their best to make sure everyone reads about it over and over again.

We can't stop fans from having prejudiced views against Star Wars just because it is Disney. Just like we can't stop fans from having prejudiced views against anything George Lucas did or said after 1996. This is not a general Star Wars website. This forum is devoted to a game that was published from 1987-98. It is only natural that a good handful of people aren't going to like the franchise beyond that time period. However, on the forum I call out categorical dislikes and people making broader statements of dislike than their actual experience.

If you take a look at my posts here on film discussions alone since 2015, you will see that I put the kabosh on excessive bashing and negative ranting against Disney. People are allowed to feel however they want (including prejudice and categorical hatred), but there are limits of how far the expression of those feelings can go. I've had a couple users tell me they are leaving the forum because I am too restrictive on their excessive negativity. I've received more praise for it. I do not find this on any other Star Wars websites I have experience with.

Grimace wrote:
Sure, there are board members who will voice negative opinions about the movies. That happens everywhere. It happened on the Holonet with people not liking the prequels.

On the Holonet it also happened with a Moderator for TFA. Before I became a Moderator here, this site was a haven for unrepentant prequel bashing. Not anymore!

Grimace wrote:
I hope, and expect, your reasoning to be more than simply "It's Disney" for why you don't like something about the movie. I'm absolutely positive that you will dislike things that I found enjoyable. We can definitely have different opinions on things. But at the same time, when the top dog of a discussion board doesn't like some of the new movies, it really dissuades people from wanting to put any momentum towards striking up conversations about something that is known to elicit anger and/or negative comments from people.

This seems to have the suggestion that site owners should not be allowed to not like things. I didn't sign up for that. I took over this website to save it from extinction. I finance and maintain it as a community service. But I am still a fan of the SW franchise like anyone else here with likes and dislikes.

Before TRoS, I have defended the "sequel trilogy" since TFA came out. I urged everyone to give the whole "trilogy" a chance, even after TLJ. Let's see how it is resolved. After AotC, fans ranted about the "plot hole" of Threepio having lived on the Lars homestead but not remember it or Owen it in ANH. At the time, I told everyone, just wait until Episode III to resolve it. And it did (memory wipe because he knew too much and he's a blabbermouth). Now, the final episode of this Disney trio of films is here.

I don't see how your last sentence above will happen. If someone expresses liking a film I don't, that will not elicit angry negative comments from me. And I do not see how my negative views on the film being public will have any bearing on other people's reactions to you talking about he film. The forum guidelines for behavior are always in place for all people, myself included, no matter what the topic is, or what I like or don't like. People here express negativity on things I like and positivity on things I don't like. It happens almost every day because there is no rule against disagreeing with my likes and dislikes. And I have a guideline against the concept of consensus. Majority does not rule here. We are allowed to feel differently about things here and express these differences (just not antagonistically, of course.)

I think you may be letting your negative experiences with other Star Wars sites influence your worries about the Rancor Pit. I'm not like other site admins that let people get away with bad behaviors just because I happen to agree with their views. Also, I think it is worth mentioning that regarding TRoS, I am in the minority here anyway. The overall response to TRoS is much more positive than negative here. I don't think my in-depth 'thoughts and reactions' post will change that. All people should like whatever they like and don't like whatever they don't.

Grimace wrote:
So I can await your views on the movie, but I hope that it will pull all of the negativity out of you and leave you more appreciate of Star Wars.

It is true that my appreciation of Star Wars as a whole has shifted of late, and I will go into detail on that in the conclusion of my forthcoming 'thoughts and reactions' post. It is a new experience for me to not like Star Wars films! I still enjoy AotC and that film admittedly has a lot of issues. But my overall love of Star Wars has not been affected by TLJ or TRoS.

Movies are a big deal for fans and TRoS will not stop being talked about for a long time. Yes, I am hope that people will respectfully express all their criticisms of TRoS (and the ST) and get it out of their system, so we can just move on from it. I have not enjoyed creating my TRoS 'thoughts and reactions' post, but I hope that getting it out there will be therapeutic for me. I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TLJ Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
and I feel Luke's death would have worked better in the final film (only possible if they had planned out a trilogy),

This, right here, is 99% of my problems with the ST. They winged it.

You look at the Marvel movies, where they were working from an outline of what they wanted to happen, with each director filling in their part of the outline, and how well those build to the point where Captain America says "Avengers Assemble", and it is MIND-BLOWING to me that they thought they could go into a trilogy for one of the most influential franchises in movie history without an outline. "This is Star Wars. We will GET these three movies made, pretty much no matter what. Here's what will happen in the first movie. Here's what we're building for in two and three. Here's kind of where we want to end up."

HOW do you write for BILLIONS of dollars worth of movie without a damned OUTLINE?
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum of the special effects on RotS: ILM at work

Last edited by Darklighter79 on Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I find that I am not bothered by the PG-13 standard Star Wars has had since 2005. But I am finding that as I get older, I have less and less interest in Rated R movies. PG-13 is perfect for me. I agree that it wasn't really necessary to have either one of those things in TRoS, but PG is still parental guidance so each parent has to judge what is ok for their kids and hold off on some films until the right age. I watched TFA and RO before letting my son see them and gave him a couple warnings before I took him to see them. It worked fine. At age 10, the only thing he still doesn't like is melty-Anakin Vader in RotS. He looks away but he still loves the rest of the film. I would never wish that to be edited out of the film just to be more kid-friendly. Amputation-Anakin is Hayden Christensen's best performance in Star Wars, and with the sad, hauntingly beautiful scoring for the scenes, I just think it is absolutely vital to see that pain and suffering for Vader's character.

Sure, but, they can't make a movie that is inappropriate for small children, and then use "Lighten up, it's a kid's movie" as a defense for its flaws. Bringing Palpatine back was just silly. But bringing him back and making his scenes so scary that I can't take my kids to the movie, destroys the argument that I just don't like it because I'm too old and "toxic". I was two when I saw ROTJ in theaters. There's no way a two year old can go to these things.

I think at this point I'd give TFA and TROS like a D or an F, depending on my mood when you ask me. I can begrudgingly give TLJ a solid C.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
To sum of the special effects on RotS: ILM at work

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing that.

MrNexx wrote:
This, right here, is 99% of my problems with the ST. They winged it... HOW do you write for BILLIONS of dollars worth of movie without a damned OUTLINE?

Exactly how they did it. And it wasn't unsuccessful. I hope that the fact that this campfire chain story trio of films grossed billions will not send them the signal this should keep happening. If Star Wars films must continue in new series, I pray for them to be planned out in advance. I'd be perfectly fine with no more Star Wars movies, but it would probably take several Solos in a row before they would stop making them altogether.

TauntaunScout wrote:
Sure, but, they can't make a movie that is inappropriate for small children, and then use "Lighten up, it's a kid's movie" as a defense for its flaws. Bringing Palpatine back was just silly. But bringing him back and making his scenes so scary that I can't take my kids to the movie, destroys the argument that I just don't like it because I'm too old and "toxic".

That's a good point. I hadn't really thought about that because I am brand new to being accused of losing touch with my inner child.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite used to it! Hollywood's been ruining my favorite franchises since I still was a kid! I'm looking at YOU, Alien 3. Back before I even called them "franchises". When "Star Wars" was still a film title unless you were answering a trivia question.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Episode VII: Plagiarize the Past
Episode VIII: Let the Past Die
Episode IX: Why Not Both?

Yeah, that's the best sum-up of the Sequel Trilogy I've seen so far.

My personal sum up is kinda like this:

Episode VII: It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so much like ANH.
Episode VIII: It wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't kill off Luke.
Episode IX: It wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for those 2 dozen plot holes.

Both of those are good ones. Here's mine:

Episode VII: The Force Reboots
Episode VIII: I Have a Bad Feeling about This
Episode IX: Ma Klounkee

The Rise of Skywalker, The Sequel Trilogy, and The Skywalker Saga
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: