The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rancor Pit ownership
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Rancor Pit ownership Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebertran wrote:
Just lurking here, but have been for YEARS. Glad to see the site isn't going anywhere, this site is important to keep around, as d6 is one of the greatest rpg's of all time, and the writing about it here can't just vanish into the ether. Even though I barely play the game, every now and then I still pick it up and when I do, one of my first stops is this site. You all are doing the Lord's work. Smile

MTFBWY.

Amen! And that's what this is all about. It didn't make sense for Loc Taal to continue the site, but he didn't want to just pull the rug out so gave me a chance to take it over. I just couldn't stand the thought of the Pit no longer being here, so I did what I had to do for this online community. I got a good deal on three years of web hosting so we will continue to be here whenever you can stop by. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It didn't make sense for Loc Taal to continue the site, but he didn't want to just pull the rug out so gave me a chance to take it over. I just couldn't stand the thought of the Pit no longer being here, so I did what I had to do for this online community. I got a good deal on three years of web hosting so we will continue to be here whenever you can stop by. Thanks.

I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I expect there's enough of us who value this site enough to chip in and help out if it ever came to that.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thanks to Loc Taal for creating this place and building the foundations for this community.

Thanks to Whill too for stepping up so we can continue talking about this game and the Galaxy of D6 Star Wars.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
It didn't make sense for Loc Taal to continue the site, but he didn't want to just pull the rug out so gave me a chance to take it over. I just couldn't stand the thought of the Pit no longer being here, so I did what I had to do for this online community. I got a good deal on three years of web hosting so we will continue to be here whenever you can stop by. Thanks.

I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I expect there's enough of us who value this site enough to chip in and help out if it ever came to that.

As long as we can use something Other than just PayPal (pay screw you) to donate, i am more than willing to chip in..
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite sites to visit daily. I appreciate the discussions and updated stats posted. Big thanks to Loc Taal and Whill for such an amazing site.

I humbly offer monetary support should you need it.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much appreciate the offers to chip in money. There may be some additional costs for possible upgrades to the site down the road, but the web hosting is paid for three years and the domain registration is paid for two years, so we are good there.

What I will inevitably need help with is the web-mastering aspect of administrating this site, so if anyone here has experience with that then I may call on you for assistance in the future. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that the board is written in php. Though I don't see any telltale signs that it's on a wordpress install.

If you want to pm/fb me the details of what we're looking at, I can tell you how much or little help I might be.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... sorry for the double, we're on PHP BB 2.0. Answered my own question.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's been a little while since things officially changed over, but I'd like to thank Loc Taal for this brainchild. It's been a wonderful place to make friends, enjoy a good game of SWD6, and learn more and more about this wonderful world. Whill, thanks for taking the reins. I've no doubt you'll continue in the very fine tradition that has been set up for us all.

That said, I do have a question. I find myself unable to access the original landing page, which had several very useful utilities on it...including a planet generator, a ship generator (if I remember correctly), and a very extensive list of character names. Is that going to be the way of things, or will that page be once again accessible in the future?

This is NOT a complaint by any means. I simply would like to know if these resources will once more be available. If there's a vote on it, I'm definitely in favor of reinstating that capability.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded. I like this forum a lot, and Whill is doing a great job with it.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Whill, thanks for taking the reins. I've no doubt you'll continue in the very fine tradition that has been set up for us all.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Seconded. I like this forum a lot, and Whill is doing a great job with it.

Thanks, guys! I'm happy to be of service to this community.

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I do have a question. I find myself unable to access the original landing page, which had several very useful utilities on it...including a planet generator, a ship generator (if I remember correctly), and a very extensive list of character names. Is that going to be the way of things, or will that page be once again accessible in the future?

This is NOT a complaint by any means. I simply would like to know if these resources will once more be available. If there's a vote on it, I'm definitely in favor of reinstating that capability.

Yes, the Rancor Pit started as that website and the forums came later as an expansion to the original site. That site stopped being on the internet in early 2016, but certain aspects of it probably stopped working before that. I'm not sure but I think a lot of the coding was out of date and it would have required a lot of work for Loc Taal to get it back up and running. At the end of last year the transfer of Rancor Pit ownership to me only included the forums and not the original Rancor Pit site. Even if I had been given the original files, I probably would not be able to get it up and functional.

I own the domain for rancorpit.com so a new "landing page" will probably exist someday (I think you found that now it just forwards to the forum). But it very likely won't be for a while and won't be the same as the original one. Here is an archive I found of the old main page, just for nostalgia. Unfortunately almost all the other links there do not work. Sorry.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the page, Whill. Too bad the utilities don't still work; I wish I'd had the foresight to have converted the entire page of names to a Word doc.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I really had been away for too long. That explains the soft reboot to the layout of certain things.

Many thanks to Loc Taal for his years of service, from an appreciative former longtime lurker, and many (quite belated) congratulations to Whill.

There is no one more deserving — nor one with a more creepily benign Palpatine avatar! Wink
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: The Pit Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Thanks for posting the page, Whill. Too bad the utilities don't still work; I wish I'd had the foresight to have converted the entire page of names to a Word doc.

Check this out: Original RANCOR PIT website archive

Whill wrote:
...the web hosting is paid for three years and the domain registration is paid for two years, so we are good there.

Hard to believe it has been almost two years since I took over the Rancor Pit. I just renewed the Rancor Pit domain for another year (no longer term renewal options available at this time.) Next Fall I'll renew the web hosting service too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Pit Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I just renewed the Rancor Pit domain for another year (no longer term renewal options available at this time.) Next Fall I'll renew the web hosting service too.

I just renewed the rancorpit.com domain registration for another year. The invoice for my web hosting service renewal for another three years isn't ready yet so they said check back in a few weeks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: