The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Last Jedi (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Last Jedi (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
-The rebel bombers. They show one getting destroyed; it gets engulfed in flames and just goes down without disturbing the ones flying near it.

Later, in another bomber the crewman states that their bombs are now armed; the bombs are all lit up and flashing. THEN it gets destroyed. That's when it takes a couple other bombers with it. So it leads one to believe the close formation isn't really dangerous until the massively powerful bombs are armed; and likely why they won't arm them until right before the bombing run begins.

Uhm unarmed explosives don't stay inert when they are caught in an explosion. They are set off by sympathetic explosion.

The term "Armed" means the detonator is activated.

A grenade isn't "armed" until you pull the pin. However an unarmed grenade will still explode if it is set off by a nearby explosion.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
-The rebel bombers. They show one getting destroyed; it gets engulfed in flames and just goes down without disturbing the ones flying near it.

Later, in another bomber the crewman states that their bombs are now armed; the bombs are all lit up and flashing. THEN it gets destroyed. That's when it takes a couple other bombers with it. So it leads one to believe the close formation isn't really dangerous until the massively powerful bombs are armed; and likely why they won't arm them until right before the bombing run begins.

Uhm unarmed explosives don't stay inert when they are caught in an explosion. They are set off by sympathetic explosion.

The term "Armed" means the detonator is activated.

A grenade isn't "armed" until you pull the pin. However an unarmed grenade will still explode if it is set off by a nearby explosion.

Dude, I'm reporting what is on the screen. The one ship went down and only engulfed itself.
A few moments later we have a ship that clearly indicates visually and verbally that the payload is armed. It then takes out nearby ships when it blows up.

So for whatever works in Star Wars tech, they are obviously safer flying in close formation when they are not 'armed'. Unless it's purely a coincidence.

If you want to talk about the real world application on high explosives in a military setting I can accommodate you from an infantryman's perspective....in another venue. PM me if you'd like that.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When The Force Awakens came out, people groaned that it was too much of a re-hash of what has come before.

Now, Star Wars is given something fresh and new--a new direction and growth in the story line--and some fans are complaining about that.

What worries me about the negative reaction is what will J.J. Abrams do with the next film. Will he play it safe and do what he did with TFA, giving us a re-hash of Jedi? Or, will he continue what Rian has started and take us in a new direction, showing us a new story?

Say what you want to about TLJ, and what I'll say to you is, "Just think of what we'd have if Lucas had continued with this trilogy."

Thank the Force we didn't get more prequels-quality Star Wars.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things Rian got very "right," imo, is the link between Luke and Ben. Luke saw the Dark Side exploding in the young, strong Force User, and he had lived through the evil of Vader and the Galactic Civil War against the Emperor. It makes sense to me that Luke would at least think hard about snuffing out that Darkness before it blooms.

But, Luke is Luke. He caught himself.

And, from Ben's point of view, seeing your master--your uncle--standing over you with lightsaber drawn while you sleep. He could probably feel Luke's intention through the Force.

Boom. Tasty conflict that makes sense from both sides.

Very cool.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: TLJ Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
complaint

A single fighter takes out ALL of a dreadnoughts turbolasers and anti-starfighter weapons?

Bombers flying so close together they fratricide?

And shouldn't bombers that big have capital scale shields?

Nope. I stopped watching at that point and left that's too Monty Haul. Thank God I was given a free ticket. I'd have been upset if I had paid to see that.

ForbinProject wrote:
Smack Talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0QPCS4a84k

Has an entertaining review of The Last Jedi and what's right and wrong with it.

I listened to as much of the "Smack Talk" video as I could stomach. After the first 8 minutes or so I began skipping ahead to various points in the video to see where it was going. I actually thought the first several minutes were somewhat entertaining, but then it degenerated into pure and utter bashing with an accent to disguise itself as entertainment. I began to notice several errors in what he was passing off as facts about the franchise, and from what I heard those inaccuracies where used to criticize further. I didn't hear very much "what's right" with the film, but I heard a whole lot of "what's wrong with it." I think you mischaracterized this video as something that it's not. Maybe you could post the exact time stamp when he lists all the things that are right with the movie (if there is such a section of the video).

So yes, I can see how people who hate the film may be entertained by the video throughout, but in catering only to TLJ haters this video's primary purpose seems to be only to bash. You have made it clear that you hated the film so much that you got up and left the theater during the opening battle. The video is deceptive, and how you describe it seems deceptive. I question your purpose in posting this video here. You are free to share your own dissenting opinions here, but please take note of the forum posing guidelines...

Quote:
...please refrain from expressing excessive negativity... Attempting to persuade others to hate a film as much as you do, including posting links to those views, will not be tolerated. If someone else enjoys a Star Wars film you don’t, let them.

I don't claim to read your mind and know what your internal motivations are - I can only reply to what this looks like based on past experience with people who have hated Star Wars films and posted links to opinions which bash. Please consider this a friendly warning. Thank you.

But people who get up and leave the theater towards the beginning of the film are a new one for me. Frankly, I think we all would at least respect your opinion a bit more if you had actually stayed and watched the entire film. As a result you have an uneducated opinion about TLJ and your negative posts here have been hyper-focused on the only part of the film you actually watched. You are citing the opinions of someone who has at least seen the entire film they are bashing, when you haven't even done that yourself.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
When The Force Awakens came out, people groaned that it was too much of a re-hash of what has come before.

Now, Star Wars is given something fresh and new--a new direction and growth in the story line--and some fans are complaining about that.

It goes to show you that there are always people to complain about everything.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
What worries me about the negative reaction is what will J.J. Abrams do with the next film. Will he play it safe and do what he did with TFA, giving us a re-hash of Jedi? Or, will he continue what Rian has started and take us in a new direction, showing us a new story?

Well it is no longer completely an option to play it completely safe. The next movie won't have Han or Leia, and it won't have Luke except maybe as a Force ghost. "Emperor" Snoke and Phasma are presumably dead. I hope JJ is up to challenge.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Say what you want to about TLJ, and what I'll say to you is, "Just think of what we'd have if Lucas had continued with this trilogy."

Thank the Force we didn't get more prequels-quality Star Wars.

The prequels are a different beast. The whole point is building towards ANH. Like them are not, they really aren't very comparable to continuing the story beyond RotJ, so who knows what a Lucas sequel trilogy would have been. I'm just saying I don't think that any inherent "quality" of the prequels would be applicable.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
One of the things Rian got very "right," imo, is the link between Luke and Ben. Luke saw the Dark Side exploding in the young, strong Force User, and he had lived through the evil of Vader and the Galactic Civil War against the Emperor. It makes sense to me that Luke would at least think hard about snuffing out that Darkness before it blooms.

But, Luke is Luke. He caught himself.

And, from Ben's point of view, seeing your master--your uncle--standing over you with lightsaber drawn while you sleep. He could probably feel Luke's intention through the Force.

Boom. Tasty conflict that makes sense from both sides.

Very cool.

Good perspective.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Previously I was responding to your prior statements as if it being a plot hole was a definite fact. It's not a definite fact. Like you are now saying, we don't know yet. "Might be." Innocent until proven guilty maybe?

I was responding in kind. There are still plot holes from TFA that have not been satisfactorily explained, like how Han & Chewie just happened to be nearby when the Falcon was dead in space, or Rey's Mary Sue-esque proficiency at nearly everything. And I doubt they ever will be.

Strictly speaking, a film shouldn't have to depend on comics or novels to bridge its gaps. This was a throwaway moment that could've been resolved so simply, yet it wasn't. It breaks up the film by making people say "wait, what?" which makes that sequence rather jarring to those in the audience who are willing to suspend their disbelief only so far (me included).

Quote:
And by the way, Threepio got his memory wiped in between Episodes II and IV. He didn't even remember the planet. Not a plot hole. Somehow I have more faith in the current producers to not make a oops like that than I did in Lucas, but we'll see.

Why, yes, I did see the end of ROTS, thank you.

I think there are two possible scenarios:
    1). Disney views its audience by the highest common denominator, and expects their fan base to be discerning and forgiving and take the long view that any apparent plot holes will ultimately be resolved in subsequent films.

2). Disney views its audience as a herd of cash cows who would pay $10 to stare at a dog turd if it had a Star Wars logo on the side, and aren't hugely concerned with making a universe that fits together seamlessly.

Of the two, I know which one I find more likely.

I wouldn't be here if I didn't love Star Wars, but the fact remains that none of the films are perfect. Having plot holes won't keep me from watching a film, but it will lessen my enjoyment.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rey has been told twice that she needs training. Once by Ben in TFA and then by Luke in TLJ.

But, Rey really gets no training. She trains herself, really.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who's gonna take over that role now both Snork and Luke are gonners.. Kylo?
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good that she got those Jedi texts.

Yoda says that she already has what she needs...but maybe that was 'from a certain point of view' as he would have known she swiped them.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I wonder who's gonna take over that role now both Snork and Luke are gonners.. Kylo?

*Snoke

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

*Snoke

I think he was attempting to be funny.

Heck, I laughed at it. Snork. LOL.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie sucked. Rogue One was fantastic. Epiosodes IV and V are 2 of some of the best movies ever made. The rest all suck. The power of this game is its ability to redeem the Star Wars universe from the failings of its own canon.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And....when are we going to see anything about the Knights of Ren?

In that same vein, what happened to Black Squadron from TFA? TLJ picks up immediately after TFA. Where is Temmin Wexley and the others?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the porgs!

They crack me up. Especially that scene with Chewie.

I'll admit, going into the movie, I thought, from the previews, that the porgs were going to be intelligent. Kinda a nod to Hoojibs from the Marvel Star Wars comics of the 1980's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16

Jump to: