The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force-Prod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Force-Prod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Force-Prod Reply with quote

A high-tech variation on the bayonet, the Force-Prod uses the same basic technology as a Force Pike. Designed to be mounted under the barrel of a ranged weapon, and available in differing sizes to fit a variety of weapons from pistols to rifles, the Force Prod turns almost any ranged weapon into a functional melee weapon.

The Force Prod is mounted under the barrel of a rifle or pistol, and retracts into a protective housing when not in use. When in use, any contact with another solid object releases a burst of energy to devastating effect. The prod is activated and deactivated by controls built into the grip of the weapon to which it is mounted.

While not in common use, Force Prods are popular with soldiers and police whose duties require them to operate in close quarters where quick reaction times can be a matter of life and death, and being able to use a rifle or pistol as a melee weapon with the press of a button is far simpler and quicker than keeping a more effective weapon in a sheath or holster.

Model: SoroSuub Confronter FP-R
Type: Rifle-Mounted Force Prod
Scale: Character
Skill: Melee Combat: Force Prod
Cost: 600 credits
Availability: 2; R
Difficulty: Moderate
Damage: Str+2D (Normal or Stun)

Model: SoroSuub Confronter FP-P
Type: Pistol-Mounted Force Prod
Scale: Character
Skill: Melee Combat: Force Prod
Cost: 700 credits
Availability: 2; R
Difficulty: Easy
Damage: Str+1D+1 (Normal or Stun)

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For something that small (bayonette size) i can't really see it being Str+2d. Str+2, or 1d at most.

Also, i could also see a need max damage of equal to that of vibro daggers (6d).
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems reasonable to me. I agree the damage may need to be reduced, maybe not; especially if it has a limited number of charges. If this is intedned as a police weapon it probably should be limited to stun only.

I, personally, have never liked the name 'force pike' as it sounds like 'the Force'. May I suggest energy pike and energy prod/baton?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
I, personally, have never liked the name 'force pike' as it sounds like 'the Force'.

I concur.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For something that small (bayonette size) i can't really see it being Str+2d. Str+2, or 1d at most.

Also, i could also see a need max damage of equal to that of vibro daggers (6d).

I based the stats off the Force Pike from the Imperial Sourcebook. The description specifies a "power tip" mounted on a "pole made of very strong spun graphite." My read is that the pole exists to A) give the wielder something to hold, and B) give the weapon some reach. The functional components of the weapon are actually only a portion of the weapon's total mass. As such, since the blaster weapon equipped with this serves as the grip, it has no need of the Pike's handle, and can pack the same kick into a smaller package. Naturally, some added expense is incured by the reduction in size and the retracting function (a standard force like costs 500 credits, where these cost 600 and 700, respectively), with the much smaller pistol version also taking a reduction in damage.

With regard to the damage cap, the Imperial Sourcebook stats did not include a damage cap, so I decided not to include one for these, either. YMMV.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Seems reasonable to me. I agree the damage may need to be reduced, maybe not; especially if it has a limited number of charges. If this is intedned as a police weapon it probably should be limited to stun only.

I don't recall any mention of force pikes having a limited number of charges, so I'm going to leave that up to individual preference. Same with having a stun only setting; I see no evidence in the EU that Imperial Law Enforcement is bound by the same restrictions as modern, Western police regarding protecting the lives of the common citizenry.

Volar the Healer wrote:
I, personally, have never liked the name 'force pike' as it sounds like 'the Force'. May I suggest energy pike and energy prod/baton?
Whill wrote:

I concur.

I agree as well. However, when posting stats here, I make an effort to adhere to known terminology without having off on my own. In my own SWU, however, it's a completely different matter. Considering WEG's write up says it is equipped with a "power tip", I'd probably go with " power pike" and "power prod", respectively.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Volar the Healer wrote:
I, personally, have never liked the name 'force pike' as it sounds like 'the Force'.
Whill wrote:
I concur.

I agree as well. However, when posting stats here, I make an effort to adhere to known terminology without having off on my own. In my own SWU, however, it's a completely different matter. Considering WEG's write up says it is equipped with a "power tip", I'd probably go with " power like" and "power prod", respectively.

I like "power" better than "energy" because we already have "energy weapons" which generally refer to range weapons.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I like "power" better than "energy" because we already have "energy weapons" which generally refer to range weapons.

It works doubly well for me, since I'm working on converting weapons over from the Warhammer 40,000 universe. The WH40K power weapon is, in essence, a solid core surrounded by an destructive energy field. My SW explanation is that power weapons project what is essentially a detuned lightsaber field, generating a fraction of the power. Because of the reduction of power, the field can only augment a standard weapon; it can't form the basis for the weapon itself (like a lightsaber). The advantage, however, is that the solid core makes it somewhat easier to handle, and the detuned energy field can be reduced even further to inflict stun damage.

cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Whill wrote:

It works doubly well for me, since I'm working on converting weapons over from the Warhammer 40,000 universe. The WH40K power weapon is, in essence, a solid core surrounded by an destructive energy field. My SW explanation is that power weapons project what is essentially a detuned lightsaber field, generating a fraction of the power. Because of the reduction of power, the field can only augment a standard weapon; it can't form the basis for the weapon itself (like a lightsaber). The advantage, however, is that the solid core makes it somewhat easier to handle, and the detuned energy field can be reduced even further to inflict stun damage.

But can the parry a lightsaber? For those force users who can't get their hands on a real lightsaber.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to rework the wording on that...

I wouldn't allow power weapons to actually parry blaster bolts, although I would say that the field provides added protection from damage. I wouldn't want to take away from the uniqueness of lightsabers, after all.

As far as what power weapons look like in action, I picture the Magnaguard's electrostaves, or Backlash's whips from Ironman 2: a solid core enveloped in a constant electrical discharge. A character can't actually touch the business end without being damaged themselves, so they need a non-conductive grip or handle of some kind.

RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi PCs in Star Wars: The Old Republic begin the game with an electroblade training sword before moving on to lightsabers. They work exactly as you describe how power weapons work, crmcneill, though I believe they are able to parry blaster bolts.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Jedi PCs in Star Wars: The Old Republic begin the game with an electroblade training sword before moving on to lightsabers. They work exactly as you describe how power weapons work, crmcneill, though I believe they are able to parry blaster bolts.

I think they can only block the blaster bolts, not redirect them.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think they can only block the blaster bolts, not redirect them.

You're probably right. It's been a while since my PC had one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: