The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How attached do you get?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> How attached do you get?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: How attached do you get? Reply with quote

As a player and a GM, I know I tend to develop an attachment to my ships that central NPCs in past games or my PCs own/have. My current GM is pretty liberal with me as a player, letting me get my grubby hands on some cool stuff off and on. My PCs have recieved ships such as a cool, unique starfighter or a unique transport like an ancient Sith Fury Interceptor. (Note: That ship has turned into my smuggler's classic hotrod which she's trying to restore.)

Still, as the campaign has rolled on and my PCs have gained access to capital ships and other resources, I find myself drawn back to the first ship my smuggler captain was able to purchase, her YT-2400. That ship is an extension of my character just as much as her sidekick astromech droid. Only when it's absolutely called for does my PC group opt for a different mode of transportation.

So my question is this: Just like Han Solo with the Falcon, how attached are your PCs to their ship? Do they have a main ship that they use frequently? How modified has the ship become?

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some get quite attached, whether its a ship, favored suit of armor, or jus even that blaster they have modified.
Heck last year's gencon, i had one module where part of the write up for the baddie is that in his final fight area, he WILL target high value enemies weapons, to neuter their capacity to fight back, before targeting THEM..
So i had the baddie called shot to this one bounty hunter's modified rifle, destroying it.. That guy got so peeved, he complained about it to our group's Con coordinator.. When i explained the situation, the CC told the player "Would you have rather he called shot your character's head and thus potentially killed YOU rather than take your weapon"???
Though that did shut the player up, i still got a little flak for it later on...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome.

In one campaign that was kicked off with Tatooine Manhunt, one of the PCs was a tongue-tied armor engineer type of character who developed an increasingly tricked-out custom armored powersuit. Jodo Kast had become a recurring antagonist in that campaign (because he kept surviving encounters), but the PCs had never seen him without his helmet on or knew what he looked like. An adventure after the armor engineer PC had severely damaged Kast's armor in a battle and left Kast presumably for dead, Kast without his armor conned the PCs by posing as an underworld armor dealer on Tatooine named "Alexander Nevermind" looking to sell some armor to the Alliance. "Nevermind" would only allow one Rebel into a building to make the transaction, and of course the armor PC is the one who went in to inspect the merch. Kast stunned the PC and put on the superior suit. When the PC came to, "Nevermind" vibro-knifed him in the abdomen and took off in the suit, leaving him mortally wounded, but his life was saved by the group's Force PC. "Nevermind" in the PC's suit recovered lightsaber construction data at Old Ben Kenobi's home, and the PC group later competed against several other parties to recover the data and get the PC's suit back. (Yes, this adventure was a sequel of sorts to Tatooine Manhunt where this time Jodo Kast was the man being hunted.) The PCs eventually learned Nevermind's true identity, recovered the lightsaber data and the PC's armor (which was severely damaged but ultimately reparable).

By the end of the campaign the powersuit could fly with experimental repulsorlift technology (think Iron Man). In the tragic final adventure of that campaign, the armor PC was killed when the power source of his powersuit exploded.

Quote:
Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed.

Other than that PC with the armored powersuit, players never get attached to any technology in my game, except starships, droids and lightsabers. Everything else is completely disposable in my game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions that DID come up in game, is if i was targeting the LS of a jedi, would HIS danger sense go off? What if i was using say TK to crush it, would he get a control roll to resist, or would it just be on the LS's body rating?
crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Two questions that DID come up in game, is if i was targeting the LS of a jedi, would HIS danger sense go off? What if i was using say TK to crush it, would he get a control roll to resist, or would it just be on the LS's body rating?

As far as Danger Sense, I don't know... I would think that a Lightsaber potentially blowing up in your hand would cause Danger Sense to ping. That would have to be up to the GM, but I'm sure a player could argue a good point on this.

As for resistance, I'd have to go with the Lightsaber only having it's body strength to resist. A good player who knows of the attack could potentially repel it with an opposing Force action though.

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazydanny1 wrote:
garhkal wrote:

As far as Danger Sense, I don't know... I would think that a Lightsaber potentially blowing up in your hand would cause Danger Sense to ping. That would have to be up to the GM, but I'm sure a player could argue a good point on this..

My counter argument to that would be if say i was shooting it with a .357 slug, it would not be blowing up, just getting damaged enough to make it no longer usable.

BUT those 3 players i have chatted to about it, all seem to think that since a jedi pc has to go through a lot to make and attune their LS, it should gain the DS protections, as it is now an 'extension' of them.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were going to postulate an argument for DS applying here, I'd say that it wouldn't be so much that the lightsaber is an extension of the Jedi (which, by most accounts I've seen, it is), but rather that the loss of the lightsaber would put the Jedi in very distinct, imminent danger.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
If I were going to postulate an argument for DS applying here, I'd say that it wouldn't be so much that the lightsaber is an extension of the Jedi (which, by most accounts I've seen, it is), but rather that the loss of the lightsaber would put the Jedi in very distinct, imminent danger.

So by that logic, me picking his pocket to remove say his blaster or shooting it out of his hand, could also be seen as placing him in imminent danger.
IF he is in combat, he is already in imminent danger.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think danger sense is meant to be like spidey sense. Its not a detailed premonition of the future, but rather a basic prescient alertness. Even if an attack against the lightsaber did set off the danger sense, I don't think the Jedi would necessarily understand the precise nature of the situation. Danger sense doesn't tell the Jedi exactly WHAT is happeni.g. it gives him time to preempt an attack by whatever means he judges appropriate. Yoda lopped off some heads. Obi-Wan, some arms
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how can he 'act appropriately if he doesn't know the exacts of what is going to happen?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power gives the Jedi the knowledge that he is going to be attacked next round. He will know (presumably) the identity of the attacker(s) and their method off attack.

If the gm wants to give more info than that, so be it. I jst don't see itt as being specific enough to identify an attack against the weapon.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Jedi Skyler wrote:

So by that logic, me picking his pocket to remove say his blaster or shooting it out of his hand, could also be seen as placing him in imminent danger.
IF he is in combat, he is already in imminent danger.

Very true. But even in the midst of combat, a Jedi can receive insight from the Force as to a specific threat; a blaster bolt winging their way, whether aimed specifically at their head or at their lightsaber hilt, can (not necessarily will, but CAN) register, through the Force, as an imminent threat. That would cause the Jedi to react; whether or not it was reacting accordingly remains to be seen, but it would let the Jedi know something was coming. In my own opinion, at least.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if they don't have Danger sense up and active? Should they still get that warning?
What about if they don't even have the power?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say definitively; the Force works in mysterious ways. GMs could decide to give the character that warning, regardless of whether or not they had it up, simply because they're strong enough in the Force to utilize it. Arguments could be made for either side here, without necessarily ever coming to a conclusion. If no other reason than for the fact that the GM is the law in his own game, this is true.

To be fair, however, we weren't talking about the character having that power up, or even having that power. In game terms, a character can attempt to use a power they don't currently possess, but need a greatly successful roll to accomplish said feat.

I do, personally, play a number of Jedi characters, and whenever possible, they NEVER go into battle without DS active. It becomes easier the more skilled the character becomes, to be sure. Does it accrue MAPs? You betcha. Has it saved a character's backside, on more than one occasion? You'd better believe it. A good player will learn that early on; a bad player will possibly be creating a new character. But that's neither here, nor there.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if they are effectively going to be 'given the warning through the force' anyway (or so it seems) why ever pay to learn the power?? Heck, why even have the power in the first place.. just have a high sense score..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: